True Quotes in the Beautiful Game

Dale The Ram

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few:

"I'm going to make a prediction - it could go either way."
- Ron Atkinson (he's alan nixon and i claim my five pounds)

"I'd been ill and hadn't trained for a week, and I'd been out of the team for three weeks before that, so I wasn't sharp. I got cramp before half-time as well. But I'm not one to make excuses."
- Clinton Morrison

"It was like living in a different country."
- Ian Rush on moving to Italy

"A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing."
- Bill Shankly

"I remember the first time I saw him. He was 13 and just floated over the ground like a cocker spaniel chasing a piece of silver paper in the wind."
- Sir Alex Ferguson on the young Ryan Giggs

"Football has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting."
- George Orwell

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that."
- Kevin Keegan

"Playing against a defensive opponent is just as bad as making love to a tree."
- Jorge Valdano

and my personal favourites:

"If God had wanted us to play football in the sky, He

"If you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell the difference between the two sides" - Phil Brown

Just a note a note on Phil Brown, when he first came to derby, I remember he held this bizarre player training session at the IPro where fans could come along. Thought he was complete prat. His ineptitude in the job proved this just a few months later.

Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.
Pele

Money does not guarantee success.
Jose Mourinho

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." ~ Bill Shankly

Archived