True Quotes in the Beautiful Game

Dale The Ram

What are the best quotes you've heard on this magnificent sport and which ones do you agree with totally or move you. Maybe you've even got a personal story which relates to a quote.

Anyways....

Tony Adams -

"Play for the name on the front and they'll remember the name on the back"

My favourite quote, all relates to players like Totti, Gerrard, Carragher, Maldini and Ledley King.

It hits the nail on the head for me, with the right intentions and selflessness you can be a great player and a legend. Admittedly all these players are greats but the respect they gain from sticking to their club immortalises them in the club folklore. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Football is a matter of life and death, except more important.'

Bill Shankly

Ultimately, this is bullsh*t. It's a game. I don't know whether he actually believed this or not, as I know very little of Shankly but if he did then it would be hard to take anything else he said seriously.

Ultimately, this is bullsh*t. It's a game. I don't know whether he actually believed this or not, as I know very little of Shankly but if he did then it would be hard to take anything else he said seriously.

It was said very much tongue in cheek I believe.

Ha fair enough mate. I just found this a long time ago and found it funny.

Nice one.

I can't remember the details but there was this guy who used to do charity events all over the country for sick kids or something. Think he might have been ill himself, not sure. Anyway he's basically a frickin Saint.

He gets all these stars to do a performance and stuff. Like Kiss and such. Or if the bands or rockers can't make it they send stuff for him to auction off at these events like a guitar or something.

Anyway, for years he could never get hold of Rod Stewart. Never got a reply or anything. Pretty much everyone had done something except Rod Stewart.

Then on a tv program here, Rod Stewart finally responds and offers to do a gig at one of these events. He said he wanted to help as soon as he read the letter and that no letters or whatever had ever reached him.

Very nice eh?

Yep, also helped him promote his brand new song and album. What a fine coincidence.

Who's helping who Rod? Sicko

I can't remember the details but there was this guy who used to do charity events all over the country for sick kids or something. Think he might have been ill himself, not sure. Anyway he's basically a frickin Saint.

He gets all these stars to do a performance and stuff. Like Kiss and such. Or if the bands or rockers can't make it they send stuff for him to auction off at these events like a guitar or something.

Anyway, for years he could never get hold of Rod Stewart. Never got a reply or anything. Pretty much everyone had done something except Rod Stewart.

Then on a tv program here, Rod Stewart finally responds and offers to do a gig at one of these events. He said he wanted to help as soon as he read the letter and that no letters or whatever had ever reached him.

Very nice eh?

Yep, also helped him promote his brand new song and album. What a fine coincidence.

Who's helping who Rod? Sicko

Didn't know that mate. I just remembered seeing this a while ago and liked it then.Does sound like a tosser nowadays though.

"I worked for two great managers.

Brian clough said football was all about the manager.

Joe mercer said it was all about the players.

But its not. Its all about the fans"

Roy mcfarland

It was said very much tongue in cheek I believe.

Indeed, I listened to an interview with someone who was there when he said it. I think it was a slight on the media sensenationalism of football. Moral of the story, don't use irony if you think you quote is gonna be remembered forever.

Archived