Shaun Barker leaving?

DcFc Dyycheee

Are you his agent or something? You seem to crop up with any mention of "Barker".

Why do you not see we are wasting time on a player who won't play football ever again? One year out the game fair enough, but two and a half is ludicris to even suggest he will return.

If say Will Hughes got the exact injury, at least he would have age on his side. Whereas Barker simply doesn't.

It's in the same thread, dude. I don't just follow you around, you know.

My gripe is what exactly does it have to do with you?

The money's not coming out of your pocket (there's no Shaun Barker tax) and it's entirely the club's decision to do whatever the hell they want. You don't really have the right to question his character, especially.

The extension was in good will as he picked up the injury representing the club. He took a reduced wage (which is commendable) and we'll probably let his contract run down, after which he'll probably take up a coaching/backroom role or something here. Even I don't think he'll play again, by the way.

Decent PR for the club as well, I imagine.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not about what he can do for Derby right now.

It's what Derby can do for him after he got an injury for us.

Derby are looking after him. At a cost.

Can't go on forever. Won't go on forever. But i can't see a reason for it to bother anyone. It can only be seen as a good thing. They look after their employees.

Can't go on forever. Won't go on forever. But i can't see a reason for it to bother anyone. It can only be seen as a good thing. They look after their employees.

Agreed.Derby is a team I would want to play with the way they have treated Barker;most clubs would probably have told him to hit the road a long time ago.

This is exactly the point. We don't know all the details. But ultimately, from the outside looking in we look like a club that:

- Is good for youth development

- Gives youth a chance

- Has a good manager

- Plays good football

- Looks like going up

- Is stable

- Takes care of their injured players

That is only a good thing from both a community and even a recruitment point of view.

Kiss his arse, build him a statue and extend his current deal by a decade or two then.

Fook me he's 32, he can barely kick a ball and has six months on his current deal remaining. He's picked up a decent wage for the past two and a half years whilst others struggle to get by day to day.

You lot talk like he's going sit on the dole for the rest of his life if he dare to quit football.

Lucky sausage if anything. If he doesn't play again he's still got the punditry, the fashion, the music, the arts...

Why we originally extended his contract, without knowing a estimated return date I'll never know.

Still no return date either, despite supposedly being able to feature in a pre season game (which never happened).

You'd make a great boss to work for!

Boss old Jim has phoned in sick, he needs a hip replacement.

Sack the sausage, he's old and usless anyway.

It's in the same thread, dude. I don't just follow you around, you know.

My gripe is what exactly does it have to do with you?

The money's not coming out of your pocket (there's no Shaun Barker tax) and it's entirely the club's decision to do whatever the hell they want. You don't really have the right to question his character, especially.

The extension was in good will as he picked up the injury representing the club. He took a reduced wage (which is commendable) and we'll probably let his contract run down, after which he'll probably take up a coaching/backroom role or something here. Even I don't think he'll play again, by the way.

Decent PR for the club as well, I imagine.

Firstly where have I supposedly "questioned his character"?

I said he was a good player prior to injury, I've stated countless times I respect him for attempting to fight through the pain and get back out on the pitch playing again. What more can I say possibly say regarding the matter?

And what's all this "what's it to you" comments?

its a forum dedicated to Derby County right? I'm not gonna kiss each players arse on a daily basis to get more likes or anything of a kind.

I'm saying it like it is; he's been out 31 months, getting no younger and still nothing regarding a date to return to full training with just months remaining on his deal.

So the point of him being a contracted PLAYER is infact pretty pointless. Now I never said he shouldn't be apart of DCFC in some form of capacity.

Being a soft touch gets you nowhere in life, respect to the club for sticking by his injury but where does it get you? No soddin where by the looks of it.

How do you know what he brings to the club papahet? Are you there? Do you see what happens behind the scenes? Why such a big deal?

Do you? Preciously you don't either.

From the outside looking in, all it seems is a club wasting time and money on someone who'll never play professional football again.

So what is the point in having him contracted? I don't understand.

Might aswel just bring Eranio back if you're wanting experience and inspiration. At least he doesn't look out of place at Moor Farm.

It's a shame money has come into this....

Especially when loyalty in ANY sport is pretty low.

Suppose living in austerity and creating a feeling of divide does to us....

From the outside looking in, all it seems is a club wasting time and money on someone who'll never play professional football again.

Might aswel just bring Eranio back if you're wanting experience and inspiration. At least he doesn't look out of place at Moor Farm.

Others have tried to explain to you that as Barker has had what looks like a career ending injury playing for the club they feel they have a duty of care. When his contract was extended (and we don't know the terms of that) perhaps the thinking was that he still had a chance and as such they weren't going to pull the plug.

As most say DCFC have shown an attitude that is something to be proud of. I don't understand your concern about "wasting time and money". The club feel they have the time and the money..............good for them!

We should have cut our losses when his contract ended.

To give him another contract after his injury was bad business sense.

We should have supported him and offered the use of our facilities through his recovery but waited to see how it all went before offering him a contract.

Barker quoted on tv text, has no plans to retire. He is near the end of his contract. Why would he leave? Not his fault he got injured. Do football clubs not have insurance?. You would think so, to protect their investments. Derby need to look after their wounded.. I would send him on all the coaching courses available and show good favour to him. In that way other players learn that Derby County is a better club that perhaps some others. Then give him a job in the Academy if he is any good until he gets a better offer.

We should have supported him and offered the use of our facilities through his recovery but waited to see how it all went before offering him a contract.

it wasnt just business though was it. it's courtesy, it's the right thing to do. if anybody hurts themselves at work, so much so that for the next couple + years they can no longer perform the job they were employed to do, as an employer it is your duty to provide the opportunity to return to heath. i honestly dont understand why you would have rather have seen Barker hung out to dry. it also sends a message to all of the playing staff from youth to 1st team that, if you commit yourself to the club the club will in turn commit themselves to the well being and prosperity of their employees. breeds abit o'confidence. when bucko or keogh are throwing themselves head first into tackles, its done with the knowledge that they wont be f*cked off if they hurt themsleves doing it. it is good business in that sense. you're wrong about this. 

I for one hope he does play again, and no I'm not kissing arse!!! He was a darn good player for us and always gave 100%. It was not his fault the goal keeper landed on his knee.

The club have supported him all the way and I would presume they will continue to do so, like any good employer would. 

He is quite entitled to take on other projects like all of us are. His wife tweeted last night the article was rubbish and he is working hard.

Have you not seen him working with the bungee on his website? if his knee was knackered still he would not be doing that!!!

http://shaunbarker.co.uk/st-georges-rehab-bungee/

Seems like he's doing a fair amount of charity based work for the club and the players always say he's a great face to have in and around the dressing room. 

We don't know exactly what his daily routine is at the club, as we also don't know what his contract is.

So why the big deal. Your dealing with unknown's.

Well the club clearly see a point and understand that point so that's good enough for me. 

You're an embarrassment.

That is all.

Archived