Hughes

AmericanRam

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He and Hendrick against Brighton in the Playoff Second Leg pretty much had the whole stadium creaming themselves. Me included. That was a performance that would have buried most Premier League teams. Brighton were powerless. That is my favourite Derby game ever.

Just seen McClarn on Sky talking about tiredness and injuries re Raheem Sterling. He looks the consummate professional manager. talks sense at the level where everybody knows what he means. A great advert for Derby County. He looks relaxed and has everything under control. I believe that he thinks Derby County is a natural home for him until he has rammed home to every previous critic just how good he is. However a big offer will be coming his way sometime soon from a Premier Team doing badly. He will turn it down and probably get a pay rise again. Good look to him, he is giving Rams' fans the time of their lives in a world of uncertainties and bad news. Get ready for the 'We won promotion commemorative brollies' .

i think arsenal would be a good fit for him. can see him blossoming there. dont be surprised if arsene moves for him by next June.

I've always said this.... Would be given a chance to play there too

This thread is not about rugby league!

a Agreed.... But that's the mentality of the English football fan.... You have to be strong and run through brick walls.... Give me a player like Hughes anyday

With that great midfield group of 4 - Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, and Hendrick ... we have a great future. We need to hang on to all 4 especially Hughes ... there are other players in the squad that we could sell for a few bob if we must.  Once we get in the PL, we need to stay there and be competitive, and Will Hughes will continue to be our talisman.

With that great midfield group of 4 - Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, and Hendrick ... we have a great future. We need to hang on to all 4 especially Hughes ... there are other players in the squad that we could sell for a few bob if we must.  Once we get in the PL, we need to stay there and be competitive, and Will Hughes will continue to be our talisman.

I totally agree. Now is the time to go for it big. We have so much young talent and if we can get the promotion we can add up with the right amount of experience and be a regular in Premier.

Hughes is our best player. No two ways about it in my opinion.

If we don't go up, Hughes will be off. Definitely. He'd walk into most Prem clubs. His style suits the top flight.

What's brilliant about our midfield is that it's only the beginning. Hughes, Hendrick and Thorne will only get better, and if we were to get promoted would all still be at a level to compete, as with Bryson and his 5 year contract.

Exciting times COYR

Mac's headache is figuring out a formation that will allow him to have Hendrick Hughes and Bryson play all 90 minutes. It's not with Hughes at cdm obviously, so he either has to play 3 flat in the middle or slot Bryson or Hendrick in behind. Hendrick is too much a game changer to have him play off the bench, and Bryson and Hughes simply must play. It's a nice headache but its a headache for sure. When Thorne gets back at the end of this season, Bryson or Hendrick will have to move to a wing or striker role or sit  ... so perhaps that's what mac was anticipating when he brought Hendrick in on the wing that other game. Hughes has cemented his spot.

Thoughts? 

Mac's headache is figuring out a formation that will allow him to have Hendrick Hughes and Bryson play all 90 minutes. It's not with Hughes at cdm obviously, so he either has to play 3 flat in the middle or slot Bryson or Hendrick in behind. Hendrick is too much a game changer to have him play off the bench, and Bryson and Hughes simply must play. It's a nice headache but its a headache for sure. When Thorne gets back at the end of this season, Bryson or Hendrick will have to move to a wing or striker role or sit  ... so perhaps that's what mac was anticipating when he brought Hendrick in on the wing that other game. Hughes has cemented his spot.

Thoughts? 

We've seen on too many occasions that those three just cannot play 90mins together. Hughes is wasted at defensive mid, as is Hendrick, and I shudder at the thought of Bryson there.

As for any of them on the wing. Please, no. Stop it. Clough used Hughes on the left of a midfield four, and he was wasted out there too. 

Are you seriously considering we need to go back to putting square pegs in round holes? We have plenty of talent in this team and, now, plenty of depth. Let's not destroy it by putting them in places they don't belong.

Sure, it might not be the best 11 out there, but it is the best team.

Thoughts? 

Part of the reason Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson are playing so well is the way the team is set up around them.  They have a defensive midfielder in behind, giving them license to get forward.  They have Chris Martin up front, holding the ball up and letting them run off him.  They have 2 pacy wingers outside to stretch teams and create space in midfield.  If you take away any of those factors, the 2 in central midfield will be less effective.

Archived