Mission Statement

Carl Sagan

Steve McClaren quoted after receiving praise from Dougie Freedman:

"We wrote a mission statement on the board and one of the things was to gain admiration and respect for the way we play, and the way we do things on and off the field.

"That is what we have wanted to achieve, and we have gained respect for our style of play and how we behave."

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Derby-County-boss-Steve-McClaren-looks-admiration/story-23018576-detail/story.html#rO3KgU44XccgQM5X.99

It's a good time to be a Ram, with team management, players, fans, club officials and, hopefully, owners all having bought into doing things the right way, and better than anyone else. But what else was in the mission statement?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve McClaren quoted after receiving praise from Dougie Freedman:

"We wrote a mission statement on the board and one of the things was to gain admiration and respect for the way we play, and the way we do things on and off the field.

"That is what we have wanted to achieve, and we have gained respect for our style of play and how we behave."

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Derby-County-boss-Steve-McClaren-looks-admiration/story-23018576-detail/story.html#rO3KgU44XccgQM5X.99

It's a good time to be a Ram, with team management, players, fans, club officials and, hopefully, owners all having bought into doing things the right way, and better than anyone else. But what else was in the mission statement?

It's a much nicer version of the Clough at Leeds "Throw all your medals and cups in the dustbin because you won them by cheating" tirade.

I think that the very presence of Steve McClaren and his entire philosophy on football from the kids to the stars is the best thing to have happened to Derby for 40 years.

(checks calendar)

OK, 39 years.

It's a much nicer version of the Clough at Leeds "Throw all your medals and cups in the dustbin because you won them by cheating" tirade.

I think that the very presence of Steve McClaren and his entire philosophy on football from the kids to the stars is the best thing to have happened to Derby for 40 years.

(checks calendar)

OK, 39 years.

I think the coming together of McClaren and Derby Co. has been perfect timing for both parties. The club had a group of talented players who were already playing as a team and an ethos of giving young players a chance. McClaren, an obviously talented coach had recent negative experiences that he has taken on board and turned into positives. 

The club has a great feel about it from top to bottom, and that is always a good sign.

I'd say we were already respected for the football we played pre-McClaren. Under Clough we played three of the eventual top 7 (Reading, Burnley and Leicester) and they ALL changed their tactics specifically for us. Nigel Adkins came right out and said this, he actually said that they had to respect us.

McClaren himself said it's been 'evolution, not revolution'. The change in management was seemless because of the way both he and Our Nige interpret how the game should be played.

I've often wondered if it was a conscious decision to replace Clough with a manager who shares the same Dutch-esque philosophy or if Rush just got lucky.

Anyone can write a "mission statement" it is the easiest and one of the most commonly used buisness "buzz phrases" thrown around.....but following it through and being very succesful at it....that is not so common.

as someone has said, thanks still to the previous management who put all the foundations in there.

Could not disagree more American Ram, I want to go and watch The Rams play good football and behave with integrity, if promotion is where that leads...brilliant.

If not and, like last season, I get to see us blow teams away playing good football and scoring a hatful of goals then I, for one, will not be disappointed.

The Premier League is not the be all and end all.

yeah - remember that wonderful passing move away at Yeovil last season that resulted in Bryson's goal - like the Argentina of the Midlands - plus the cracking 5-0 win away at Milwall. McClaren really has worked wonders

At least at Championship level, some of the goals we score, well, I look at them and think "There isn't another team in the division that could have scored that goal". Some of the movement is bewildering - it almost reminds me of speed chess.

Could not disagree more American Ram, I want to go and watch The Rams play good football and behave with integrity, if promotion is where that leads...brilliant.

If not and, like last season, I get to see us blow teams away playing good football and scoring a hatful of goals then I, for one, will not be disappointed.

The Premier League is not the be all and end all.

Don't get me wrong mate.I love seeing Derby score and have success in other areas.Just saying with the great squad we have if promotion is not had,it would be a dissapointment.

I agree Premier League is not the end all,but it is what every team strives for.

I know the dynamic has changed slightly over the past year but when you consider that our current starting eleven cost less than half of what Fulham paid for McCormack and probably less than what Forest paid for Assumbongoumbongotheydrinkitinthecongo then that gives us something to be very proud of. Over the last 3 or 4 years between them Clough, Mac and Sam Rush have put us back on the map.

Archived