Hughes Tonight

robglosta

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll always say it should be Hughes and then Bryson or Hendrick.

While the other two may have that eye for goal Hughes has so much he can do for the whole team. Should be the first name in that midfield playing the sort of secondary midfielder

Games like this where he suddenly takes it all into his own hands seem pretty rare but they just draw attention to how good he actually is.

He was the most advanced midfielder tonight, with Bryson a bit further back, working his arse off and covering lots of ground. Plus he and Dawkins looked like a good combination. Yes, he had a really good game, but I think he benefitted from a slightly different midfield structure to normal, as well as Dawkins playing well. We need to play like this from now on and really get the best out of him.

Hughes and Dawkins look to be our two best players technically, and what I mean by that is the touch, pass, move, react kind of game. They're very special in that sense and if you had to play five-a-side against them two in the same team, you'd rip your eyes out.

Hughes, if he wants to become the player some suggests, needs to explode. Barkley, Bale, Sterling..etc all exploded at some point in the career. They went from being 'promising' to just, well, doing. 

Bale and Barkley broke the mold and just went for the kill with every attack, for Sterling it all fell together, I think what Hughes needs is to decide what kind of midfielder he wants to be. I still see him as our CDM, not to be the kick it and win it John Eustace type, but almost how Thorne played that role. A class above, a bit of elegance and the power to dictate the game with the stroke of his foot. 

As an attacking midfielder, he needs to do a lot more and I'm not quite sure that's his game. Saying that, if he scores more goals like that this season then I'll be proven well and truly wrong. 

Think the top player he has most in common with is Ozil, and I think he has the vision and potential to match that player's general ability to pick a chance-creating pass. No way should he be playing CDM with his body type.

Modric/Alonso - they're the ones I would associate with him. 

Ozil is more like Bryson. 

Hughes and Dawkins look to be our two best players technically, and what I mean by that is the touch, pass, move, react kind of game. They're very special in that sense and if you had to play five-a-side against them two in the same team, you'd rip your eyes out.

Hughes, if he wants to become the player some suggests, needs to explode. Barkley, Bale, Sterling..etc all exploded at some point in the career. They went from being 'promising' to just, well, doing. 

Bale and Barkley broke the mold and just went for the kill with every attack, for Sterling it all fell together, I think what Hughes needs is to decide what kind of midfielder he wants to be. I still see him as our CDM, not to be the kick it and win it John Eustace type, but almost how Thorne played that role. A class above, a bit of elegance and the power to dictate the game with the stroke of his foot. 

As an attacking midfielder, he needs to do a lot more and I'm not quite sure that's his game. Saying that, if he scores more goals like that this season then I'll be proven well and truly wrong. 

I'm with you, Ambitious. From what I saw at the beginning of the season I think he really has it in him to play at the base of the midfield, but akin to Modric and Alonso, he does not suit playing there alone as he doesn't have enough of a physical presence. I believe in a double pivot DM system he would thrive as the recycler and runner. Perhaps when Thorne returns he may evolve into that sort of player. I think it will benefit him playing different positions around the midfield in order to learn the different duties that each position requires (marking, runs, etc).

Either way what a gem we have, and it is a joy that he is at the club for the forseeable future. What is football about if not watching a local(ish) boy being nurtured by the club and then finally (hopefully) leading them to glory. It really is gratifying being a ram these days.

Said this is season more people realise how good he is.

Just hope he never plays DCM again.

I think the DCM role has helped him develop his all round midfield general ability, hence his tackling has improved massively also his strength on the ball.

I don't think it's a coincidence, yet another master stroke by the coaching staff :-)

I think the DCM role has helped him develop his all round midfield general ability, hence his tackling has improved massively also his strength on the ball.

I don't think it's a coincidence, yet another master stroke by the coaching staff :-)

Spot on TMFG, because one couldn't help but notice that although he was bossing the game with the ball, he made some great tackles and basically caused quite a bit of disruption when rovers had the ball. Hope mac doesn't drop him again ... regardless of opponent. 

What I like is that he's improved his strength I remember when people used to shoulder barge him and he'd drop like a sack of ****. Now saying his frame etc and his age he out muscels most and gives as good as he gets.

I'm starting to see him winning most battles and even started to realise opp. Midfielders fouling him due to not being able to get the ball back brilliant display by the lad!

Archived