Are we playing with 10 men?

unclej

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, you are obviously out for a wind up but the boss says we can't abuse you. Personally i think he's wrong and we should be allowed to call you names. Still, no matter.

Martin contributes very little you say? Well you're wrong. I can't recall a striker who contributes so much to the overall play. His link up, and ability to keep possession, create chances for others and score goals himself puts him up there with anyone.

If we were to play a different style, say Pulis's Stoke or Davies' Forest, then Martin would not be your man. While we play a passing, possession based style then Chrissy baby is the daddy. He's a fulcrum, a pivot, a central point to drop in front of defenders, often taking a fearful kicking from behind in the process, bringing others into play, laying it off, playing one twos and little dinks. All this stops the ball going straight back down the pitch for us to defend.

His shooting boots have been a tad off colour the last couple of games but normally he strikes a ball really well. He'll hit a rich vein soon and knock in a few quality, match winning goals.

And you'll not mention him again for 6 months.

I prob shouldn't disagree with a moderator... but hey, Uttox, you're living in the stone ages of soccer strategy, my friend. Modern forward play does not consist of standing tall. pivoting, taking a beating, dinking the ball, etc, all while you've lost your shooting boots. 

This is amazing. I love a good head-scratcher. 

This is one of those conversations that makes you question everything, not just in football but in life. 

Chris Martin and our team is a perfect storm in this division. Other strikers may be better, but I can't think of one that could do what Martin does for our team and I can't think of a better system for Martin to play in. 

Martin does things in games that leaves you in awe. He, in himself, is a showman and can produce magic. He adds to that with a guile, determination and strength which saw him banned from every bar in the south east of England.

He is without question our most important player and if we had a fully fit squad, he'd be the one I'd hate to lose the most. Well, him and Thorne  :wub:  Oh, I miss Thorne  :(  

I prob shouldn't disagree with a moderator... but hey, Uttox, you're living in the stone ages of soccer strategy, my friend. Modern forward play does not consist of standing tall. pivoting, taking a beating, dinking the ball, etc, all while you've lost your shooting boots. 

Who would you prefer and what style would you play?

This is amazing. I love a good head-scratcher. 

This is one of those conversations that makes you question everything, not just in football but in life. 

Chris Martin and our team is a perfect storm in this division. Other strikers may be better, but I can't think of one that could do what Martin does for our team and I can't think of a better system for Martin to play in. 

Martin does things in games that leaves you in awe. He, in himself, is a showman and can produce magic. He adds to that with a guile, determination and strength which saw him banned from every bar in the south east of England.

He is without question our most important player and if we had a fully fit squad, he'd be the one I'd hate to lose the most. Well, him and Thorne  :wub:  Oh, I miss Thorne  :(  

Its a wind up, Daveo knows it, he's testing us. :ph34r:

If you hadn't lost me beforehand, you definitely lost me at the phrase 'soccer strategy'

You are clearly a wind-up merchant...and/or clueless.

Martin will hit is straps. As rightfully mentioned ... 4 goals in 9 matches. Yeah ... what a terrible recor so far lads.

Martin. Can we afford the luxury of a player who contributes very little, is poor in the air, has terrible body language, tries the most ridiculously ambitious shots but pops up for the odd one now and again?

I know you. You sat in the East Stand last season. You go with a mate who has to listen (like the rest of us) to your demolition of Martin each game. (Falling over, not fit, too slow etc. etc. ad infinitum). Glad you are on here as well I have missed your insight.

Sorry for the reality check. Thorne is on a different planet to Martin. They are incomparable.

10 men, we've only got 10 men...

So he wasn't the focal point of our attack last season?

He wasn't the beginning and/or ending of most our excellent play?

Personally I blame FIFA 14............sounds like someone's just won the Champions League with Alfreton Town!

Archived