Calero travels with first team squad

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simmo's comments about him today are encouraging, suggests he's developed much quicker than they expected.

"He is travelling to Charlton, and he may get himself a place on the bench," said Simpson.

"Mason Bennett going out on loan to Bradford has opened things up a bit.

"Ivan understands the way we want our wide players to play and he is a really talented footballer.

"When we saw him in pre-season, we looked and thought two or three months further down the line he might be right for us but he has shown us it may even be sooner than that."

Calero should start simples.

He's the best player I've seen for ages and him travelling with the squad is the best news I've had all day.

- We were falling over ourselves with excitement when we secured Dawkins after his loan

- Ward was damn near our player of the year the season before last despite injury issues

- Russell generated a thread second only to Thorne's during his transfer saga

All three are being thrown under the bus after 2 games this season because the midfield isn't operating as it did last season, and as such they won't get the support they need. You know a great solution to this, throw a promising youngster under the bus too into the deep end away from home for the third game of the season.

I'd definitely bring him on and give him 20 mins.

He's quite small and doesn't play particularly wide.

But he just has that spark we are missing.

Three things impressed me v boro u21s.

The way he burst into the box to win a penalty after just 1 minutes.

The way he ran at the defence - and shimmied whilst running at pace - showing great balance.

The nonchalant way he hit the bar from 25 yards.

He might just be the difference between one point and three.

Glad he's getting a chance to spend time around the first team squad. He's a youngster from a different country and style of football.

We need to be patient with him and let him find his feet gradually, this can be a tough division for youngsters but he certainly seems to have the talent.

I don't think there is any harm in giving Calero a push. He's coming off an impressive spell in pre-season and has been a standout with the under 21s, so he is going to be full of confidence and keen to show what he can do for the first team.

Like others have eluded to, he could be rubbish or he could be the ace up the sleeve we're missing, no-one really knows what he will offer the first-team and that's the excitement. It was the same when the likes of Hughes and Hendrick were first brought into the fold.

I think it would make sense to give him a chance especially while the likes of Russell, Dawkins and Ward are still finding match sharpness and not offering the contribution we know they can. Take the two chances Russell had on Saturday, two chances he would have taken comfortably had it been April not August.

If the tried and trusted are still finding their feet, why not?

Archived