Under 21s & Academy 14/15

-JW-

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby County will welcome six new scholars into their Under 18 squad next season – with the Academy retained list now confirmed.

Max Lowe, Charles Vernam and Jack Tuite are to turn professional while seven players have been released at the end of their two-year spells with the Under 18s. 

Lowe, Vernam and Tuite will join Callum Guy and Offrande Zanzala in moving up to Lee Glover’s Under 21 squad, after the duo signed professional terms earlier this year. 

Amongst the players becoming first-year scholars next year is Academy Player of the Year Matthew Yates.

Under 18s Players Becoming First Year Professionals: Max Lowe, Charles Vernam, Jack Tuite

Under 18s Players Out Of Contract And Not Retained: Jorna Moulton, Tom Bennett, Tom Rigby, Eric Behrens, Guy Clennett, Sam Dryden, Mo Adams 

Under 18s Players Entering Second Year Scholarships: Alex Babos, Josh Barnes, Jared Bird, James Carvell, Alex Cover, Kellan Gordon, Calum MacDonald, Tom Mellors, Kyron Stabana, Ethan Wassall 

Players Becoming First Year Scholars In July: Joseph Bateman, Jahvan Davidson-Miller, Micah Edwards, Harry Goode, Giann Magno, Matthew Yates

Derby County would like to wish the departing players every success for the future and thank them for their contributions.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/under-18s-retained-list-confirmed-2464258.aspx#4iW4pwQuEFT2aFxk.99

Last night i dreamed i had been hired as the u21 coach at Derby.  i couldn't believe they were crazy enough to do that and as preseason wound down i could clearly see that this job was way too big for me.  The fact that i know nothing about coaching was the smallest matter, for most of my effort went into keeping some sort of order within a group of highly undisciplined youths and cleaning up the locker room and showers after a game plus doing the laundry.  i have never seen so many bleedin huge beach towels and dirty socks scattered about in my life.  i managed to bamboozle a homeless fellow to assist me, mostly with the coaching and he brought his sister along, so that took care of the laundry.  First game of the u21 league was coming up and we didn't like the look of these boys at all, sure they were well versed in jumping jacks and running aimlessly around the field but they bore no resemblance to a playing squad up to any kind of task. 

i kept a low profile during that first game, sitting as far away from the dugout as i dared.  As the game went on i was amazed that we were only losing 2-1 and i was even feeling a little pleased with myself and so i moved my ****a bit closer to the dugout.  Up stepped a hero, a lanky blondish boy dribbled past a few defenders and scored an equalizer.  The homeless guy and his sister were posing for the cameras now so i had to get in on that action and then sat down in the dugout pleased as punch.  Wouldn't you know it, that lanky boy did it again, this time driving a low hard ball from 30 yards off of two defenders and into the far corner.  Game won 2-3 and we in the management team were congratulating ourselves for having created a star player.  That evening the lads went wild, threw a boozy party and that's when calamity hit.  The lanky lad got into a drunken brawl with a short brutal looking defender with eyes so far apart he looked like something that had crawled out of the swamp and he calmly proceeded to snap the lanky boy's leg like a twig. 

Without our star player the management team was convinced that we would stand no chance in our second game, but low and behold, the swamp beast scored a hat trick and we won the game 3-0.  Our jubilance was short lived though as beastie slipped on a jockstrap in the locker room and fractured his tailbone.  No worries declared my homeless buddy, we're on the right track, i think that little weasel in the number 9 shirt will come good for us next game.  We had a good laugh about it and with that i woke up.  Can't help but feel a fair amount of optimism for the coming u21 season now.

Last night i dreamed i had been hired as the u21 coach at Derby.  i couldn't believe they were crazy enough to do that and as preseason wound down i could clearly see that this job was way too big for me.  The fact that i know nothing about coaching was the smallest matter, for most of my effort went into keeping some sort of order within a group of highly undisciplined youths and cleaning up the locker room and showers after a game plus doing the laundry.  i have never seen so many bleedin huge beach towels and dirty socks scattered about in my life.  i managed to bamboozle a homeless fellow to assist me, mostly with the coaching and he brought his sister along, so that took care of the laundry.  First game of the u21 league was coming up and we didn't like the look of these boys at all, sure they were well versed in jumping jacks and running aimlessly around the field but they bore no resemblance to a playing squad up to any kind of task. 

i kept a low profile during that first game, sitting as far away from the dugout as i dared.  As the game went on i was amazed that we were only losing 2-1 and i was even feeling a little pleased with myself and so i moved my ****a bit closer to the dugout.  Up stepped a hero, a lanky blondish boy dribbled past a few defenders and scored an equalizer.  The homeless guy and his sister were posing for the cameras now so i had to get in on that action and then sat down in the dugout pleased as punch.  Wouldn't you know it, that lanky boy did it again, this time driving a low hard ball from 30 yards off of two defenders and into the far corner.  Game won 2-3 and we in the management team were congratulating ourselves for having created a star player.  That evening the lads went wild, threw a boozy party and that's when calamity hit.  The lanky lad got into a drunken brawl with a short brutal looking defender with eyes so far apart he looked like something that had crawled out of the swamp and he calmly proceeded to snap the lanky boy's leg like a twig. 

Without our star player the management team was convinced that we would stand no chance in our second game, but low and behold, the swamp beast scored a hat trick and we won the game 3-0.  Our jubilance was short lived though as beastie slipped on a jockstrap in the locker room and fractured his tailbone.  No worries declared my homeless buddy, we're on the right track, i think that little weasel in the number 9 shirt will come good for us next game.  We had a good laugh about it and with that i woke up.  Can't help but feel a fair amount of optimism for the coming u21 season now.

​'Truly inspiring' - The Independent 4.8/5

'Emotional, gripping and a story for the ages' - The Daily Mirror 4.953/5

'A Must read' - Jake Buxtons Fine Coffee ltd. 2.3/10

Just seen our U21s conceded fewer goals than any other team in the U21 league - 20. You have to laugh, like. 

​Jamie, Jamie Jamie, Jamie Jamie, Jamie, Jamie Hanson

Farrend, Farrend Farrend, Farrend Farrend, Farrend, Farrend Rawson.

(and repeat)

Derby County: Rams youngster up for goal of the season award

By cwatson_dt  |  Posted: June 03, 2015

DERBY County youngster James Carvell is up for the League Football Education (LFE) goal of the season.

The midfielder's fine strike for the Rams' under-18 side has been shortlisted for the prize, along with eight other monthly winners.

Carvell, who has just completed his first year as an Academy scholar at Derby, rounded off an impressive team move against Bolton Wanderers.

"It's great to see this competition culminate with such a strong shortlist of goals," said LFE chief executive Alan Sykes.

"There are a number of outstanding young players developing at Football League clubs and this is a perfect advertisement of that work."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Rams-youngster-goal-season-award/story-26629534-detail/story.html

The best individual goal is the Connor Tighe one,  Brighton vs Arsenal IMO but by far the best team play leading to a goal is the James Carvell goal.

Derby County: Rams youngster up for goal of the season award

By cwatson_dt  |  Posted: June 03, 2015

DERBY County youngster James Carvell is up for the League Football Education (LFE) goal of the season.

The midfielder's fine strike for the Rams' under-18 side has been shortlisted for the prize, along with eight other monthly winners.

Carvell, who has just completed his first year as an Academy scholar at Derby, rounded off an impressive team move against Bolton Wanderers.

"It's great to see this competition culminate with such a strong shortlist of goals," said LFE chief executive Alan Sykes.

"There are a number of outstanding young players developing at Football League clubs and this is a perfect advertisement of that work."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Rams-youngster-goal-season-award/story-26629534-detail/story.html

The best individual goal is the Connor Tighe one,  Brighton vs Arsenal IMO but by far the best team play leading to a goal is the James Carvell goal.

​To vote for our James, you need to go to http://www.lfe.org.uk/goal-of-the-month/goal-of-the-season-2014-15

​Jamie, Jamie Jamie, Jamie Jamie, Jamie, Jamie Hanson

Farrend, Farrend Farrend, Farrend Farrend, Farrend, Farrend Rawson.

(and repeat)

​Apologies... I just stole this idea (not knowing you posted it Monday!) and suggested it on the 1884 flag/song/etc. thread. 

Archived