Yet another 1 minute applause

GeneralRam

Just seen that John Vicars has retweeted a fan who wants to hold an applause on the 33rd minute for their newborn daughter who died 33 minutes after being born.

Now I am sure the parents are having a terrible time and I wouldn't wish that upon anybody. But.....

"cMgB1Ex" alt="cMgB1Ex">

They are losing all meaning and before long we will be clapping all match and tbh everytime I see one these days I just think "FFS again?"

Also, what happened to that ridiculous Lee Rigby clap at Rangers? Did it actually happen?

EDIT: Just realised it is an Owls fan who is tweeting about it. But still, my point still stands - and all I can think about is the parents gagging for some attention. If I lost my child I wouldn't be plastering it everywhere that's for sure.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was other Wednesday fans that said they were going to do this to show a bit of support to a fellow supporter who's child has died. I hope the Derby fans that are there do join in.

But at the end of the day, It is down to the individual if they want to do it or not and is not something that overly bothers me. It's no hardship to stand and clap for a minute and it costs nowt.

How do I say this without sounding like a *****...? Erm...

I don't think it makes sense, because these things happen worldwide all the time. I guess if the Wednesday fans are going to do it, and it was their idea, I would join in. But I guess it's not my decision to make, nor is it my business because I won't even be at that game.

It's just I don't understand why any parent would want this. Nor do I understand why this single case warrants the attention when this is something that probably happens on a daily basis. And I'm sure if you looked around, you'd find many other football fans who have had a similar thing happen to their child.

Make no mistake though, it is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. Feel really bad for the parents.

Sorry, I feel their pain but its getting abit OTT now.

Everyone dies, sadly whether it be young, old, middle aged...

My Uncle was a lifelong DCFC supporter and died unexpectedly last year, he played a big part in the running of a supporters club and got me into football in the first place. None of us (his family or friends) expected anything from the club, just his name being remembered in a programme was a nice touch.

you can't help but feel the whole minute's applause thing is going to lose sentiment the more times we do it - but as people have pointed out it is Wednesday's idea so I'm not here to have a moan.

I could see this being suggested a lot more times to come this season, however.. 

I don't think the family have asked for anything here!

His mates have obviously decided it is something that they want to do and have asked others to join in and through the power of social media, It has grown.

It isn't something that i would ask for if it involved a member of my family, But each to their own and it does no harm.

I share the view of the original post HOWEVER any debate absolutely must be done with respect.

How many fans on this forum, or in general, can comprehend what these guys must be going through?

Like many have said, the minutes applause is rapidly losing sentiment but come on guys let's show a bit of class. We are Derby fans after all.

very distasteful opening post, have some respect 

I'm sorry but this child has absolutely nothing to do with football, Sheffield Wednesday or Derby County. Time and effort would be better used on running a marathon to raise money for a charity which helps with the reason his/she passed away. Not clapping at football match which seems to be done every week these days.

If I said I disagreed with this I'd come across as some kind of heartless bitch which I'm not, as I know what losing a child feels like.

Personally for me, I wouldn't do it, I kind of withdrew - but grief affects people in different ways. If this helps them, if it helps bring a tiny bit of brightness for them, just for a miserly minute, why not?

The parents are Owls though right? Even then, it's down to each individual to choose wether to clap or not.

Fxck me if you don't wanna do it then don't but if the Wednesday fans want to do it because it is tragic (in no uncertain terms if you are old and you die it isn't as bad as a baby dying, you had a chance at life that a baby never got) then let them and let others join in if they want.

I don't think it should be done for every death like I said above, if you're old you've lived and had a good innings but in a crowd of 25k there is probably less than a handful of people who have lost a child never mind a child as young as 33 days old so it's not exactly "oh they're clapping for anything now" who decides which cause is more/less worthy?

We didn't think it was silly to be doing it for Bloomfield yet some people wave this away like it's gone too far?

Disappointing attitude.

On a related subject, I was surprised there wasn't one for Jeff Bourne on Saturday. He did win a Champions medal with us after all.

I may be wrong on this so apologies if so, but I wonder whether the reason that the club didn't do anything was because Jeff Bourne was actually being buried/cremated on Saturday afternoon?  

It might also be that the family asked for there to be nothing.

If it was neither of those things then it's a rare missed opportunity.  The club are generally pretty good at recognising past players and fans

Archived