Yet another 1 minute applause

GeneralRam

Just seen this on the Wed forum from one of thier fans:

(post one) does anyone know the person who lost the little one.

if they do pm me the details and i will go to the club personally tomorrow and ask that on the 33rd minute can the score be taken off and the little one's name be put on.

(post two) just had some great news that on saturday what we have been asking for will be done and more.

well done wednesday and the fans who made this happen.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloomfield has a connection to the club though so you can understand that the fans were showing their support to him.

Exactly. I just see it as the parents gasping for attention.

My dogs getting old and don't think he will be around in a couple of years time, when he finally goes I will not certainly posting a ton of messages on Twitter to get a ton of people who have no connection to me or him to do a bloody clap.

Utter ****** my original statement was "if you don't agree with it, don't do it but don't fxcking moan about other people doing it" Football clubs are central to a community and any death of a child will always be met with sadness and if this makes the parents feel just one tiny bit better then christ let them have it?! it isn't harming you.

And how you can see it as parents grasping for attention is beyond me, that is quite a sick thought and I think you need professional help GeneralRam. How can you possibly know how other people grieve? Yeah they want recognition for their child who was snatched from them at 33 days old, like I said if this helps them in anyway then let them have it. 

It's the parents choice. If it was my child I'd be wanting to raise awarness. Do a sponsored bike ride or a marathon. I don't like this whole 'My kid died t'other day RT as im your biggest fan' an applause won't raise any awareness. Do something to raise money for the neo natal unit at the hospital or something instead.

Sounds harsh but a minutes applause is meaningless.

Michael Vaughan is a Wednesday fan so there is some relevance.

And Jose Semedo is best mates with Ronaldo too, so that's possible why she tweeted him.

As a Wednesday fan this minutes applause doesn't sit comfortably with me, but each to their own.

And how you can see it as parents grasping for attention is beyond me, that is quite a sick thought and I think you need professional help GeneralRam. How can you possibly know how other people grieve? Yeah they want recognition for their child who was snatched from them at 33 days old, like I said if this helps them in anyway then let them have it. 

I need professional help? I think you'll find multiple people have agreed with me in this thread. I find stuff like this weird if I am perfectly honest. If someone close to me died I'd want to get back to normality as soon as possible - not get all the fans at DCFC to clap for me and give me attention weeks later due to my tragic loss.

everybody has lost somebody, the closer they are the more it hurts, everybody deals with grief in a different way and its not until the day comes that you lose somebody very close to you that you yourself will know how you will deal with it, for some people they want to lock themselves away in a quiet dark and cry, for others they will feel the need to share their grief and to tell as many people as possible what has happened to them, when you are in that dark place of mourning you see the rest of the world going by and getting on with their daily lives, for you time stands still temporarily, it may be a day, it may be a week or it may be years until you can get on with a normal life, there is no right or wrong way to grieve and nobody has the right to tell others how to deal with that most personal of times, how you deal with it is fine but don't criticize others, its not grabbing attention its a cry for help and to try and share the grief, if you want to be part of trying to help somebody in their first steps to accepting the death of a precious child then clap, if you don't then don't, football is for everybody to do what they want with it, that is why we go every week ! after the 33rd minute on Saturday you and I will never think about that baby ever again but they will think about it for the rest of their lives !!

I'll clap, but it's extremely odd. Thousands of people die a year who support football clubs, and although this is an absolutely tragic incident, they can't all have one. I like what Leeds do, where they have a minutes silence/applause at the end of each season to commemorate every Leeds fan who has lost their lives in that season.

I'll clap, but it's extremely odd. Thousands of people die a year who support football clubs, and although this is an absolutely tragic incident, they can't all have one. I like what Leeds do, where they have a minutes silence/applause at the end of each season to commemorate every Leeds fan who has lost their lives in that season.

That's a nice idea, I like that.

Can I request a 1 minute applause?

I had a stonking curry last night.

Can I have a minute's flatulence?

And re the applause, I will join in (without necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the principle).

I need professional help? I think you'll find multiple people have agreed with me in this thread. I find stuff like this weird if I am perfectly honest. If someone close to me died I'd want to get back to normality as soon as possible - not get all the fans at DCFC to clap for me and give me attention weeks later due to my tragic loss.

It's not for you to agree or disagree with though as it has no bearing on your life. If it makes the parents and grandparents feel a tiny bit better because they feel like they have 20000 people with them then let them have that minute. It's not for you to decide what is or isn't attention seeking and if you had someone died close to you then you would grieve in your own way. 

It's not for you to agree or disagree with though as it has no bearing on your life. If it makes the parents and grandparents feel a tiny bit better because they feel like they have 20000 people with them then let them have that minute. It's not for you to decide what is or isn't attention seeking and if you had someone died close to you then you would grieve in your own way.

I know where you're coming from Ilson....but everyone has their own opinion on things don't they? There's no right or wrong here, it's all about individual choice.

I know where you're coming from Ilson....but everyone has their own opinion on things don't they? There's no right or wrong here, it's all about individual choice.

Yeah there is no right or wrong and my original comment on the thread was that if you don't wanna do it then don't but don't moan about other people who do wanna do it. As for the attention seeking comments, they're disgusting claims to throw around in such an awful time. 

All I'm trying to say is there is no greater loss for a parent than having a child taken from them and if this applause makes them feel even the tiniest bit better even just for the minute then who are we to criticise

Better than that, I think they have a minutes applause at the start of the season, for those that have died during the close season and one at the last match for those that have died during the season. I don't think they limit it to that only - Gary Speed and Bobbie Collins' deaths were both formally recognised for example - but the general principle is right. I think it's a good idea.  It allows the club (and fans) to say this is how we recognise the deaths of 'ordinary' fans 

On the Wednesday applause, each to their own.  If the family get some comfort from the applause then what's the harm? Join in if you want to.  Wednesday couldn't refuse to participate once there's a groundswell of social media support.  Most will join in in a fairly detached but still sympathetic way for a family most wouldn't know

Archived