Thorne off crutches

deanoakaram4life

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this not superhumanly fast for his injury?

Suggests we'll have him back closer to 6 months than 9, right?

Again, going from what my sister has explained to me about cruciate ligaments:

They are the stabilizers of the knee, and you can actually walk without them, the problem is without them your knee can do things it's not meant to, and as such do catastrophic damage to the rest of the knee. With an appropriate knee brace he should be able to walk once the swelling and such has gone down from the surgery.

The key now is to not rush anything. If he did try to run on that new ACL it's probably tear instantly. What he needs to do first is wait for it to completely take, which is going to take months. Towards the end state though he can start training with two goals in particular:

1. Strengthening the muscles around the knee to allow the ACL more protection

2. Alteration to his running style to prevent movements that are likely to damage his ACL again, if applicable (this seems to have been from a jump, I don't know how the other one happened)

Him being off crutches is a boost for him, but keep in mind this would just be the first step in an very long and hard road back for young George. He would know all that though, he's been through this before.

Is this not superhumanly fast for his injury?

Suggests we'll have him back closer to 6 months than 9, right?

It was up to 9 months out and i'm sure some people said that 9 months was worse case scenario and around 6-7 months is more likely.

He also tweeted either yesterday or friday in response to a question that he will play again this season

I've said numerous times I don't think he'll be out for nine months, they said 'upto' nine months and he's been able to have the operation straight away which is helpful. I think there is zero chance of him rushing back as he has been rehabilitated through this injury once before and as such he knows when he is ready. 

He was out for upto 9 months so will be back before that. Brilliant news George. Can't wait to see you back soon and finish the job off :D

First a transfer saga, then an injury saga, final bit will be the promotion saga in the last few games at the business end of the season.

But you only have to look at his twitter to see he's a real Ram. Can't wait to see him back on the pitch  :D This is a great step in the right direction. Fantastic news.

Again, going from what my sister has explained to me about cruciate ligaments:

They are the stabilizers of the knee, and you can actually walk without them, the problem is without them your knee can do things it's not meant to, and as such do catastrophic damage to the rest of the knee. With an appropriate knee brace he should be able to walk once the swelling and such has gone down from the surgery.

The key now is to not rush anything. If he did try to run on that new ACL it's probably tear instantly. What he needs to do first is wait for it to completely take, which is going to take months. Towards the end state though he can start training with two goals in particular:

1. Strengthening the muscles around the knee to allow the ACL more protection

2. Alteration to his running style to prevent movements that are likely to damage his ACL again, if applicable (this seems to have been from a jump, I don't know how the other one happened)

Him being off crutches is a boost for him, but keep in mind this would just be the first step in an very long and hard road back for young George. He would know all that though, he's been through this before.

I bet they will send you a thank you letter for explaining all this to them ( Derby medical team) , obviously it will be news to them, and Thorne . :-)

I've said numerous times I don't think he'll be out for nine months, they said 'upto' nine months and he's been able to have the operation straight away which is helpful. I think there is zero chance of him rushing back as he has been rehabilitated through this injury once before and as such he knows when he is ready. 

Completely agree - if it was 9 months best case, they would have just said "ruled out for the whole season" as 9 months would have taken him up to end of April 2015 anyway. The fact they didn't say all season, hints that they hope on 9 months being worst case and that he will be back earlier

I bet they will send you a thank you letter for explaining all this to them ( Derby medical team) , obviously it will be news to them, and Thorne . :-)

I'm trying to explain it on here, not the medical staff. However you want to put it though.

No need to be arsy Albert was explaining it on here to people who are unlikely to have a medical background...

I've only just found out that the ACL damage he had previously was his OTHER knee.

I see you are into your cycling Rapha. If I was you I would always wear a helmet. My guess is that you already have had at least one nasty bang to your head.

Archived