Best TV Dramas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 09/12/2015 at 16:50, StringerBell said:

I've just seen an advert for Deutschland 83. It's got great reviews and has my 2 favourite things in the title so that's next on my list.

Loving Deutschland 83 - some of the plot elements require suspension of disbelief, but as a historical thriller set in my lifetime it's gripping.

And the bit where he discovers the Sony Walkman is hilarious!

5 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Loving Deutschland 83 - some of the plot elements require suspension of disbelief, but as a historical thriller set in my lifetime it's gripping.

And the bit where he discovers the Sony Walkman is hilarious!

Good to hear, I'm looking forward to it. I've not actually started it yet, was away for the Christmas period and missed the first episode so will have to watch that one online. I've got the rest taped though, will get cracking with it this weekend.

Yeah crack on! I have met some friends post-Glasnost who are the same age as me (mid 40s) but who grew up in East Berlin. I could listen to them talk all day about what life was like before the wall came down, so it's really interesting to watch D83 as a drama. So far they seem to be avoiding making life in East Germany seem utterly miserable, and Reagan is adequately portrayed as a warmongering nutcase rather than the rather more sympathetic picture his obituaries later painted

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Watched first episode of 11.22.63 this morning, absolutely brilliant.James Franco is great.

@Mostyn6Hopefully comes to UK soon for you mate.Or can PM me and I can let you know how to watch it now.

wow just finished the book based on the recommendations on here, I will PM you

17 minutes ago, AmericanRam said:

Watched first episode of 11.22.63 this morning, absolutely brilliant.James Franco is great.

@Mostyn6Hopefully comes to UK soon for you mate.Or can PM me and I can let you know how to watch it now.

I'll wait until it's all available.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

wow just finished the book based on the recommendations on here, I will PM you

Possibly my favourite book. It's between this and the 2nd of the Millennium Trilogy, The Girl who Played With Fire

2 hours ago, WorksopRam said:

Yeh, I liked the first lot. 

Are they putting one episode on a week? I might wait till there's a few. 

That's what I hate too. It's quite hard to really get into a show without having the option of binge-watching. My two favourites, not that I've seen too many series on Netflix are Prison Break followed by Breaking Bad. I would have hated watching it as it came out and having to wait a week between each episode.

15 minutes ago, Kernow said:

That's what I hate too. It's quite hard to really get into a show without having the option of binge-watching. My two favourites, not that I've seen too many series on Netflix are Prison Break followed by Breaking Bad. I would have hated watching it as it came out and having to wait a week between each episode.

Loved the first two series of Prison Break, hated the third and that put me off ever watching the fourth. Need to at some point really. 

3 hours ago, WorksopRam said:

Loved the first two series of Prison Break, hated the third and that put me off ever watching the fourth. Need to at some point really. 

My favourite series was series 2. The other 2 were pretty far fetched. Will be interesting to see what they do with Series 5 this summer...

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Saw the first episode of The Night Manager (BBC1) last night.

Very strong cast & looks like it could be a cracker. I haven't read the source book.

When you say you saw the first episode last night... I presume you meant iplayer, because it was the 2nd episode last night.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

When you say you saw the first episode last night... I presume you meant iplayer, because it was the 2nd episode last night.

Yep. I'd seen the trailers & thought "must set that to record". Then talking to my folks last night they said how good it was & it was then a last minute iPlayer job before it expired. Phew. Can't stand trying to play catch up having missed the beginning of something.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

Yep. I'd seen the trailers & thought "must set that to record". Then talking to my folks last night they said how good it was & it was then a last minute iPlayer job before it expired. Phew. Can't stand trying to play catch up having missed the beginning of something.

I watched last nights but didn't watch the first - it's a bit weird because I felt I hadn't missed anything.

8 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Saw the first episode of The Night Manager (BBC1) last night.

Very strong cast & looks like it could be a cracker. I haven't read the source book.

Watched them both, seems quite good. Its from a Le Carre book so it looks like it will be slightly intricate, but all the better for it imo.

The locations are absolutely stunning as well.

I'm gonna have to read the book now but will wait until after the series has finished.

Archived