Leon Best - Alan Nixon Rumour

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our transfer dealings, other than Thorne, smack of a club that's strapped for cash. We came up short last year. Are we really expecting the team, minus Thorne, Wisdom and Bamford, to be 10% better? abiding by the rules of FFP

Fixed

I duno why people are rejecting him before he's even walked through the door. Anyone would of thought we were losing Martin in return.. Don't worry.. We're not. Those who are saying "we should hold out for a top loan" need to remember Martin is our number 1 striker.. Regardless of who comes in, So they would have to be prepared to sit on the bench which defeats the object of goin on loan.

In Best, You get a proven goal scorer at this level.. Knows the league well and is miles better than Sammon. I can assure you, If Best plays in our team (Based on him being injury free), He could grab 10+ goals just off the bench alone. It works for me!

I duno why people are rejecting him before he's even walked through the door. Anyone would of thought we were losing Martin in return.. Don't worry.. We're not. Those who are saying "we should hold out for a top loan" need to remember Martin is our number 1 striker.. Regardless of who comes in, So they would have to be prepared to sit on the bench which defeats the object of goin on loan.

In Best, You get a proven goal scorer at this level.. Knows the league well and is miles better than Sammon. I can assure you, If Best plays in our team (Based on him being injury free), He could grab 10+ goals just off the bench alone. It works for me!

or we could just play two up front..?

Yeah because a 442 worked so well for us last season. Why didn't I think of that!

I think Sk47 that SuperSheep might have been supporting your argument - there will be more times this year when we might have to go with 2 up front to change things when we are not breaking teams down with our usual formation. Organised teams, say Leicester, Burnley and QPR off the top of my head, were able to neutralise our threat and we didn't really ever have a Plan B option available to us given the players available for selection. A good few more 'ugly' goals would be welcomed by me this year.

I'd be quite happy with this signing I tend to rate players by how well they have played against us and the impression you get as to what sort of player they are and how they would fit into our system. This guy has done well against us and seems a good fit for our system.

We don't need a stellar signing because we play with one striker and Martin is top dog based on last year.

Best or Murray would seem to fit the bill and I doubt Murray would want to come and warm out bench

Yeah because a 442 worked so well for us last season. Why didn't I think of that!

was just inferring that I wouldnt want a player with over 10k wages on the bench.

Besides that 442 was under the buffoon clough wasnt it? Better coaches, better manager now, you could be surprised

Also, I wish people would stop suggesting formation changes. We were top scorers last season, and the system we settled on unlocked the full potential of our most important player, Chris Martin. Maybe as a Plan B (as discussed above) we can throw another striker on but 4-3-3 is perfect for this team. Whoever comes in will be on the bench.

Think Best would be ok for the sort role we are after - no strong opinion either way. Was decent at Newcastle in the Prem for a short while, seems to have been permanently injured since though.

I think a lot of the frustration for some is born out of the fact that we were supposedly 'monitoring the situation' of a player like McCormack at the start of the summer window. This inevitably then raised the level of expectation regarding the type of player we might be targeting.

Since then it has become clear that we are simply seeking a striker who can cover/provide competition for Martin - this isn't going to be a high profile first team starter like McCormack, Glenn Murray etc. 

Looking at the summer window in broader terms, its easy to see both sides of the argument. Clearly we didnt need to upset the balance from what worked so well last year, and keeping hold of our star perfomers was the key foundation to build upon and has been rightfully applauded. However in terms of our budget, the majority of our eggs went in one basket with Thorne (fair enough) but after what has now happened with him, it seems to have come at the detriment of strengthening other areas of concern.

Still, a few weeks left yet to resolve the issue so no hysterics

MILLWALL are chasing Blackburn striker Leon Best.

But the Lions fear rival interest from Wigan and Derby could kill their chances of signing the 27-year-old.

Ian Holloway has spoken to Rovers counterpart Gary Bowyer about a season-long loan for the former Newcastle United frontman.

The Republic of Ireland international earns

Archived