Andre Wisdom - retrospective of loan and future prospects

HeyHudson

He says he prefers to play CB but whenever he's played for Liverpool, us, or the U21s he's played at RB. Seems that his managers and coaches and those who know better for him see him as a RB.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Lord, at the moment, but he is only 21. How many central defenders show any consistent outstanding performance levels at that age? I think he is possibly the best England Defender under 25 - please note that is for his defensive qualities. I have him pegged for an England spot, as a CD, by the time he is 25, under Steve Mac of course.

I agree Lord, at the moment, but he is only 21. How many central defenders show any consistent outstanding performance levels at that age? I think he is possibly the best England Defender under 25 - please note that is for his defensive qualities. I have him pegged for an England spot, as a CD, by the time he is 25, under Steve Mac of course.

im not saying he cant defend, IMO defensively hes the best in the squad, he tore lualua to peices at brighton, which usually you would say the other way round, i think hes extremely solid and one of the best and most consisten defenders ive seen in a long time, however i dont think hes quite as good in the air, i think if we were to sign a CB, i would look at signing someone that is unbeatable in the air, a proper target for set peices and can get his head on everything

He isn't good enough in the air to play CB for me. I think Mac agrees, which is why he's played RB.

Or he played him right back because we needed one. I prefer him at RB but it's generally a much easier position to break into rather than centre half.

Not sure if this has been said and I want to say it.

When we signed Wisdom I was a little worried. Thought we might have signed a big-time Charlie from one of the big clubs who thought he was better than little old Derby. There were rumours that he was one of the top earners in the league, and ditching his Porsche in a muddy puddle didn't exactly help that view.

In the event itself, he has put in some of the most professional performances I've ever seen from a loanee. In his 36 appearances for his he picked up just three yellow cards - pretty impressive for a defender if you ask me.

The lad never gave anything less than one hundred per cent and I thought he showed real class from start to finish, and I really do wish him well in his future career, wherever he plays. He deserves it.

Not sure if this has been said and I want to say it.

When we signed Wisdom I was a little worried. Thought we might have signed a big-time Charlie from one of the big clubs who thought he was better than little old Derby. There were rumours that he was one of the top earners in the league, and ditching his Porsche in a muddy puddle didn't exactly help that view.

In the event itself, he has put in some of the most professional performances I've ever seen from a loanee. In his 36 appearances for his he picked up just three yellow cards - pretty impressive for a defender if you ask me.

The lad never gave anything less than one hundred per cent and I thought he showed real class from start to finish, and I really do wish him well in his future career, wherever he plays. He deserves it.

If you love him so much why don't you marry him

• 3 weeks later...

would take wisdom back in a heartbeat, consistently one of the best defensively ive seen in a long while, he parks where he wants, ill pay your ticket for you wisdom :wub:

If we don't get wisdom back, and one day we come up against Liverpool in the prem, I look forward to us dusting that chant off for him, and him giving us a wry smile.

And his team mates asking what the flip that was all about.

If we don't get wisdom back, and one day we come up against Liverpool in the prem, I look forward to us dusting that chant off for him, and him giving us a wry smile.

And his team mates asking what the flip that was all about.

Shame he couldn't have parked in Brazil  :ph34r:

I thought he was quite poor toward the end of his loan spell personally. He was caught out of position quite regularly when teams understood his weaknesses. This was because he tended to rush up front which is great but he would then stay up front while the opposition were attacking leaving us more vulnerable at the back. That being said, with more first team football I can definitely see him turning into a Cole-esque defender in the future. Needs to work on his pace a bit though.

I think he has all the atributes to be a full international one day if he makes the necessary improvements to his game.

I would love to see him back in a Derby shirt. He makes the odd mistake, yes but his superb strength and determination more than make up for it.

I thought he was quite poor toward the end of his loan spell personally. He was caught out of position quite regularly when teams understood his weaknesses. This was because he tended to rush up front which is great but he would then stay up front while the opposition were attacking leaving us more vulnerable at the back. That being said, with more first team football I can definitely see him turning into a Cole-esque defender in the future. Needs to work on his pace a bit though.

I pretty much disagree with every part of this post. Wisdom was asked to sit back for the second half of the season and mostly did. And how can a player work on his pace? Boots with go-faster stripes? Or are you suggesting he loses bulk? His strength is easily his best attribute. Anyway, his run for the Barnsley away cross and goal showed he's no slouch.

I pretty much disagree with every part of this post. Wisdom was asked to sit back for the second half of the season and mostly did. And how can a player work on his pace? Boots with go-faster stripes? Or are you suggesting he loses bulk? His strength is easily his best attribute. Anyway, his run for the Barnsley away cross and goal showed he's no slouch.

Agree, but I would say his attack play actually suffered a bit because if his increased time at the back. He didn't seem to attack their left back as much.

Why does he need to attack the left back when we already have players in attack who can do that. He is not called a "defender" for a laugh. Top goal scorers in the league. Got the balance right

You should always be looking to improve. We won't score the same goals this year, and so we need to find new ways. I'm not saying Andy needed to do it every time he got the ball, that wasn't his game. But if you think back to our first run of wins, Andy was a driving force added on top of our other attacking play (just think back to Blackpool at home, they couldn't stop him in second half) as I said, I don't mind him focusing on defending, but on the occasions he had the ball moving up the pitch, at end of season he just seemed to lack any drive to run at their full back or make a run beyond to give them an extra player to think about

This was our formation for most of the season

Grant

AW. RK. JK

GT. CF

CB. JH

JW. JR

CM.

AW's outstanding positional sense, defensive capabilities and restraint created the balance for the whole team. Every single outstanding match involved our left side dominating play, due to IMO, AW (and Mac of course) In the early games he showed what he could do with more freedom. I genuinely think AW is the best Defender (purely for defending) in this country under the age of 25. If there is any chance of signing him, we must.

Archived