Arsenal, Barcelona, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd interest in January move for Hughes many sources

networker1884

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do we always have to compare players to someone, he is a totally different type of player to Walcott and bale. He is also different to many other midfield players especially in this country as he isn't big and powerful but a technical player who is good and passing and keeping the ball which is part of his appeal and everyone is obsessed with Spain and who have more technical players than ourselves

We do we always have to compare players to someone, he is a totally different type of player to Walcott and bale. He is also different to many other midfield players especially in this country as he isn't big and powerful but a technical player who is good and passing and keeping the ball which is part of his appeal and everyone is obsessed with Spain and who have more technical players than ourselves

I would have said that last season.

This season he has lost the ball as much as any of our other midfield players IMO - he is trying to build his game up more and have different dimensions, this season he attacks with a lot more flair and tries cutting passes a lot more. He'll also try and go past players, and shooting more.

It's good to see that he is still improving his game, but the things that made him so good last season is in the back of his mind at the minute, for me anyway.

I don't think there's ever been a player of his ability/style that's come through the ranks at this level so it's hard to judge and compare.

He's got clear ability that everyone has seen and IMO would no doubt progress quicker and faster playing football ALONG with top class coaching. He's only getting half the deal. The problem with young players nowadays is they get snapped up early by the big clubs and have little or no exposure to first team football.

I don't think there's ever been a player of his ability/style that's come through the ranks at this level so it's hard to judge and compare.

He's got clear ability that everyone has seen and IMO would no doubt progress quicker and faster playing football ALONG with top class coaching. He's only getting half the deal. The problem with young players nowadays is they get snapped up early by the big clubs and have little or no exposure to first team football.

Could be argued that it has benefited them in the long term though? Much like it could be argued when premier league sides their players out on loan to lower league clubs for a year, or so.. it benefits them.

I still don't think he is as good as Barnes WAS - but different types of players all together.

I don't know if I've ever seen an English player quite like Hughes.

I hope our board understands bigger picture and we keep him for now. If/when quota system of foreigners happens, best ans potentially best English players becomes even more valuable than they are today.

And even today they are overpriced.

Dear Will

I have been watching the Rams for almost 50 years and in that time am lucky enough to have seen many genuinely great players both playing for Derby and not. I have also seen players of huge promise who fail to match the early expectations of them as footballers.

This two weeks, and in the November international break, is the silly season for football journalists.  Instead of taking the opportunity to go away on holiday they set themselves to writing stories that they often make up.  Unfortunately, they are encouraged by other agencies – selling and buying clubs, agents of clubs and footballers, chairmen, managers, tea ladies, aunts, uncles and mates. And even, let’s be honest here Will, footballers themselves.  Anyone who thinks that either there’s a buck to be made or there’s respect earned in getting a story printed.  It’s all in the lead up to the January transfer window where fees and commissions are heightened through desperation.

In my time watching Derby I think I can work out roughly who is good and who is not and in my opinion you are a good player already. Work hard and develop and you might become a very good player.  With luck and even more hard work you might even become a great player.  You seem to be an intelligent guy and probably know all that.  The question is how you best get there.

There has been a lot of chat about you moving on to a ‘bigger team’ in January and you wouldn’t be human if you hadn’t thought about it, discussed it with your Mum and Dad and your agents. I wonder if you watch Match of the Day and picture yourself playing for a top 4/5/6 side – in the PL not the Championship – alongside Gerrard or van Persie, Toure or Torres? Even Rickie Lambert (sorry, bad joke).  For what it’s worth Will my bet is that you will one day. But if I were your advisor I would counsel caution about too much too soon.

Having lots of money is fantastic Will.  It allows you to do things, to live a life that is extraordinary. Going to fantastic places in total comfort; buying a house outright, no mortgage, buying other houses, helping your family out, nice cars. Security, not having to worry about what might happen in the future.  Football can give you that, and more.

But it can also, and the so-called ‘bigger clubs’ are often the worst, spit you out. And once you join a ‘bigger club’ there’s nowhere else to go except down. Or another ‘bigger club’.

At the moment you are playing regularly for a team that, in my view, is on the up. You are feted, looked after, paid reasonably well I guess, have clearly been coached well and might now start to get better coaching still.  You are a considerable asset and as such are valued and valuable and wanted.

Another club will pay a lot of money for your services; they too will coach you well and you will have around you better players, more fans to love you. You may feel that the greater exposure will give you an even better chance of realising a dream of playing for your country.

But Will, timing is everything in life.  ‘Big clubs’ are just that.  They have more money, buy more players from all over the world, are more impatient, have more people around who will have different views. Some change their managers regularly; failure is not an option but buying success is. They are bigger organisations run by international financiers for whom £10m is pocket money to be written off at a stroke.

My advice is that to step into this world, with your physical development as it is and at this point in your career would be a mistake. Hang around a year or two, develop out of the limelight both your body and your footballing brain; take the high level training coming your way; be loved and valued; be first on the first team sheet not first in the stiffs; earn more under 21 caps and earn good money. Lay a solid base for a long career. 

And then, when you are ready to move to a bigger club go to play in their first team. And then go on and conquer the world. Because there are tens of thousands of Derby fans just like me who want to see you do just that and be able to say, ‘I was there at the beginning’

Good luck

Yours sincerely

Ilkleyram

I genuinely believe that unless we get a ridiculous offer he will stay.

I think the board have hinted that they are now willing to back SM with money because they want to be in the prem with the big boys.

That may well be new money from them and not money from the sale of Will.

Here's hoping anyway.

Archived