Arsenal, Barcelona, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd interest in January move for Hughes many sources

networker1884

I am amazed Nigel would not want to spend money.

Spending increases expectation.

Nigel wanted to trudge along with limited expectation.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen!

Suffice to say he was kicked out the kitchen and down the football league.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Nigel's line was that he didn't think he could get better than we had (with what he had to spend or that was available on the market). That isn't quite the same has 'had no money' or 'refused to spend money'.

As ever the reality probably lies somewhere in the middle. For what it's worth I think a decent proportion of any incoming Hughes money will be given to SM to spend - if it isn't then he and possibly Rush would go because they've both spoken of the importance of reinvesting if players are sold.

What we actually get for Hughes is another debate entirely but as it stands I think it would probably be between £7-£10m with perhaps £6-£7m upfront and then a raft of add-ons if he realises his potential. The kind of fees that were banded around a few seasons ago are probably unlikely in the next 12 months but we should hold out for as much as we can possibly get. Will needs to help this by playing a bit better every now and then... :ph34r:

Archived