Discussion of Patrick Bamford during his 2014 loan spell

Duracell

if we go up i cant see hughes going,

the simple fact that he is still with us is ONLY because of his development and the fact that its only the top 4-6 clubs that would risk the money yet he wouldnt make there bench

hence he is still here not that Im whinging,

My point is when bamford's honeymoon period stops and he is not prolific would you be happy 'carrying' him in the team knowing he cost £2-3m

Hes young and hes said he needs to work on his game. I think hes going to be great deffo a brilliant champ player now. If he gets 20 goals a season id say he was doing his job but yeah i agree with you if it drys up people are going to look at him and point fingers if hes not pulling his weight. Hope he doesnt dry up today ive got him fgs and 4-0

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if we go up i cant see hughes going,

the simple fact that he is still with us is ONLY because of his development and the fact that its only the top 4-6 clubs that would risk the money yet he wouldnt make there bench

hence he is still here not that Im whinging,

My point is when bamford's honeymoon period stops and he is not prolific would you be happy 'carrying' him in the team knowing he cost £2-3m

Yes. Next question?

Bamford isn't a wide player, yet he has scored some crackers coming in from the wing. The day we find out how good he is will be the day he plays in his chosen position, i.e. centre forward, but that would only happen if Martin gets injured.

Bamford isn't a wide player, yet he has scored some crackers coming in from the wing. The day we find out how good he is will be the day he plays in his chosen position, i.e. centre forward, but that would only happen if Martin gets injured.

Or if he is sub? Can see russell and dawkin starting next week. And maybe bamford coming on for martin.

He's not a good footballer, he's just an extraordinary finisher.

He's got the skills to own the Championship, but he's got to get his attitude right and apply himself physically.

• 2 months later...

Sunday People says we will open talks with Chelsea over a permanent transfer if we win in the final

My 10 year old could be a sports writer for the People. Probably true but he's no knowledge, it's just a fair bet.

I don't know, I don't think he's worth it. Wisdom and Thorne, yes. Bamford no.He's the one loan I wouldn't sign if he was offered to us. Unless it was less than a million. Which it won't be because they paid 1.5 for him.

He's got a future in the game, but not right now. And we need to focus on the right now if we go up. A wonderkid won't save us in the Prem.

I don't know, I don't think he's worth it. Wisdom and Thorne, yes. Bamford no.He's the one loan I wouldn't sign if he was offered to us. Unless it was less than a million. Which it won't be because they paid 1.5 for him.

If the penny drops that he's got to graft and do the simple thing more often, he could be a top Prem player IMO, whether that will actually happen is debatable but the skills are all there and that's the rarest bit.

Bamford is still young. He has scored a lot of goals this season and is a player capable of producing something out of nothing. Yes, it is good having a load of grafters but you also need that something different. Great addition who can only get better, so I reckon we should sign him if possible.

If the penny drops that he's got to graft and do the simple thing more often, he could be a top Prem player IMO, whether that will actually happen is debatable but the skills are all there and that's the rarest bit.

True. There are aspects of his game that just can't be taught, which is good for him. But you just knew from the moment he got here with the whole "stepping stone" comment that he thought he would have an easy ride going out on loan. But of course, he's scored a fair few in the short time he's been here and he seems a genuine enough guy so I have no complaints about him coming on loan to us. I just think he's been a bit misguided and hasn't worked as hard as he should have. He sees himself as a Prem player I think and when he gets the ball he thinks he can waltz through Championship defences when in fact his ball control and dribbling is one of the weaker aspects of his game.

Bit baffling but 8 goals since he's turned up? Maybe we needed a bit of a lone (loan?) wolf maverick like Bamford. Credit to McClaren for spotting that.

Bamford is still young. He has scored a lot of goals this season and is a player capable of producing something out of nothing. Yes, it is good having a load of grafters but you also need that something different. Great addition who can only get better, so I reckon we should sign him if possible.

Absolutely and totally agree. His finishing is absolutely clinical, but more than that, it's completely natural. People talk about his great strikes from outside the area, but for me the goal that summed up what he could bring to the table was his diving header to drag us back into the game against Yeovil.

A proper centre forward's goal.

Archived