Discussion of Patrick Bamford during his 2014 loan spell

Duracell

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't say he was ineffective, wouldn't get in ahead of Bryson, Hendrick and Thorne (if we get him). Shouldn't have started play off final.

Actually thinking about it, yeah he was pretty ineffective most of last season.

I have no idea how you can even come to that conclusion. Can't accept it for a second.

I have no idea how you can even come to that conclusion. Can't accept it for a second.

Because he didn't score lots of goals, he didn't weave his way through sides, he didn't play defence splitting passes every game. All he did was keep the ball, keep our play ticking over, always a safe option to pass to, drawing players to him... But no that is totally ineffective...

Because he didn't score lots of goals, he didn't weave his way through sides, he didn't play defence splitting passes every game. All he did was keep the ball, keep our play ticking over, always a safe option to pass to, drawing players to him... But no that is totally ineffective...

I'm not sure whether this is sarcasm or not. Yes, Bamford never ran around chasing and harassing the opposition, and at times looked like he was floating around the pitch like a fairy...but he did bring other qualities that we didn't have in the team. He wasn't afraid to get the ball in and around the box, look up and take a shot. His awareness got better with every game, see the goal he laid off for Hendrick against Brighton. And most of all, he scored goals, not every striker has 100% accuracy or conversion rating, and he offered something different to our attacking options.

I'm not sure whether this is sarcasm or not. Yes, Bamford never ran around chasing and harassing the opposition, and at times looked like he was floating around the pitch like a fairy...but he did bring other qualities that we didn't have in the team. He wasn't afraid to get the ball in and around the box, look up and take a shot. His awareness got better with every game, see the goal he laid off for Hendrick against Brighton. And most of all, he scored goals, not every striker has 100% accuracy or conversion rating, and he offered something different to our attacking options.

It was sarcasm and it was directed about the Hughes comment....

But I am a fan of Bamford. Makes me laugh that he gets criticised for not doing the only thing Sammon can do which is run around like a crazed puppy. I would gladly have Bamford back, he is the type of player, the option you sometimes need to change games. As has been said earlier in this thread, would he want to come back here and be a bit part player? I think his ambitions outweigh that and his goal record for a young player is impressive.

Once again we pick on young players for what they can't do.

You're absolutely right. He's one of the few players in our team that can keep a calm head on the ball and doesn't cave in to pressure when players are drawn to him. He is a fantastic short range passer. Fast thinker, clever runner, smart passer.

PistoldPete2

I find him akin to Will Hughes, masses of potential that I think he will fill but probably not effective enough to be a starter for next season.

Hughes would start in most Championship teams : we were very lucky to have Bryso , Hendo and Thorne at back end of season.

Hughes made the assist for what would have most probably been a goal if not for the sending off foul in the final and score that quality goal in the semi. Also his Cruyff turn could have got us a peno.

That extra quality is often what you need to crack open defences, even if he doesnt do it week in week out.

Archived