Who was better at there age Hughes or barnes

i84est

Take the hatred some have for barnes out the equation. Think about there 1st 2 seasons think barnes was better I used to be excited when he was on the pitch always looked dangerous. I know they are slightly different players and with barnes has pisd it down the drain. But which player based on those 1st 2 seasons they had would you choose

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barnes for me.

Was so dangerous on the break with his pace.

A couple of times during the promotion and woeful prem season he used skill that was outrageous when beating defenders.

Oh how the mighty have fallen, from Donny to the MLS.

Hughes on the other hand will no doubt play for a much bigger club than Barnes ever did,

Both have very different qualities so its hard to compare them.

Hughes is a more balanced player, good on the ball, reads the game.

Barnes just went at players with pace and skill.

I wished we had seen 2 or 3 more years out of Barnes.

Though in the long run, as previous stated, Hughes will go on to bigger and better things than Giles.

Barnes was an impact player and an arrogant so and so.

I always remember Howard and Oakley doing the post match interview after the Colchester game and every Sky question was about Barnes and every response was around if he can keep his feet on the ground he'll be a good player.

At that point, I was concerned he'd go "Kitson" on us...

Hughes IMO has all the skills in his locker.

Barnes was a Derby reserve at Hughes age .

I used to watch Barnes in the reserves and he always had loads of pace and an eye for goal .

Went past players easily but sometimes had no end product with wayward shooting etc.

Hughes hardly wastes a ball.

Different types of players though so difficult to compare.

But Hughes it is

I really rated Giles. Good banta aswel. I remember him pulling up to pride park with his gf one time and 2 young boys about 13/14 went up to him, one asked for an autograph, and the other asked for his birds number! Giles laughed and chased them away. (Obviously in a joking manner) But as a player, Unbelievable on his day, injury ruined him. Horrible shame.

I'd rather have Hughes in my team. Barnes was good and did some outrageous things at times but for me was on par with a Lewis mcGugan today. He could do something in a game and think why isn't this guy in the premiership, and the next 3 weeks not notice him in a game. Hughes keeps the same style throughout his game and his standard of game doesn't fluctuate that much even at such a young age.

Barnes was more of a threat IMO but Hughes makes a team.

Would sooner have Hughes, but wouldn't say no to Barnes.

Imagine where he could have gone under the management of Clough or McClaren rather than being played through injury and hyped up by the dwarf........

Barnes was very good in that first season, but he was never anything more than a direct attacking player. Only in England would anyone say he was better than Hughes.

Hughes can do the pretty stuff in the middle but is perfectly happy to do the boring and dirty stuff for his team mates. Even taking ability out of it - which I think Hughes has Barnes licked for - who would you rather play with?

Different players, but Hughes is better.

I started going in the 2001/02 season, when I was 6. Not sure how many better players I've seen in a Derby shirt than Hughes.

Barnes was very good (don't know nowadays...) but Hughes is something special. Easy choice for me.

Took the words out of my thing.

Barnes was exciting and had raw pace and skill but Hughes has more than that. Hughes has a footballing brain many internationals would be jealous of. 

Barnes used to look like he made things happen with bursts of pace and/or skill. Hughes makes things happen without you noticing and that is the difference in type of player. 

Injury free and both at their bests (in a derby shirt) you can imagine that, out of the two, most of the country would want Barnes to go on and play for England because we don't appreciate Hughes type of player enough over here! 

Archived