Who was better at there age Hughes or barnes

i84est

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mental attributes are as important as physical attributes. Hughes has a good head on his shoulders and Barnes didn't. But even saying that I think there's a case to say that Hughes has more raw talent too. Barnes was faster, but Hughes is a much much better footballer than Barnes ever was.

It's a tough question. As some have already explained they are different types of players. Hughes a balanced player who can make delicate passes and dictate the game. Barnes a direct, attacking athlete with a lot of pace.

If I had to say Barnes was probably better at the same age because his impact was very sudden and dramatic. However this was his pitfall. He peaked too soon and was over hyped due to the nature of his game. He played much differently when we were on Sky to get himself in the shop window because he wanted to be in the big time as soon as possible.

On the other hand Hughes has demonstrated levelheadedness and humility with his long term commitment to the club. He's wise enough to see that the grass isn't always greener in the Premiership and has obviously taken on board sensible advice that it is better to stay at Derby for the time being rather than sit on the bench for a bottom half PL team.

Barnes seemed more standout because he's a more attacking player and he directly got goals and assists. Hughes gets the assist to the assist. He turns defense into attack with one killer pass. At such a young age, he's one of the most reliable players in our team. You give him the ball, he rarely loses it. When he's under pressure, he reacts quickly and plays the best pass possible by considering his options and executing the pass, all in a split second. I've never seen someone read a game as well as him. He can tackle, he can pass, and on occasion, he can shoot. He's well on his way to becoming a very good all round midfielder. Plus, he's a leader on the field, even with his lack of experience. He is far from one-dimensional, unlike Barnes was.

Barnes was talented, but he is and was so much more limited than Hughes is. Hughes pretty much has it all, except maybe some body strength, but they're working on that I hear. He's certainly physically stronger than he was 2 years ago.

It's like when people try and compare Messi and Ronaldo, both different styles its too hard too judge, I was a fan of Barnes, liked his flair and confidence. I'm also a fan of Hughes, i like his style of play and his creativity. Both top top youngsters but unfortunately for Barnes he had a few big injuries which ruined his career

Barnes had pace and trickery to beat a man, Hughes is more consistent , better passer , can dictate play and very rarely loses the ball , so Hughes for me , but being greedy I would love to have seen Barnes in this team playing off Martin especially with this coaching set up

Chalk and cheese - but seeing as I don't want a gobful of chalk, Hughes wins for me.

Wheee!!!

So you want a gobfull of Hughes' cheese do you?

I feel Hughes always plays within himself, content always to do the steady careful stuff. Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see him run at teams a little bit more often.

So you want a gobfull of Hughes' cheese do you?

I feel Hughes always plays within himself, content always to do the steady careful stuff. Nothing wrong with that but it would be nice to see him run at teams a little bit more often.

But he's not really that type of player. You only see him do "steady careful stuff" because he makes the complex stuff look easy. He is the best passer in our side by far, and he can alleviate the pressure from opposition defenders with one simple layoff somewhere. A player who reads the game like him would be wasted just charging at teams. His patient style suits the patient team philosophy.

After all, wasn't it our own George Thorne himself who once proclaimed: "Patience."

I agree but he has got it in him to glide past a few players in the penalty box - think Leeds a couple of seasons ago when he ripped them apart.  Don't get me wrong keeping possession is key but teams don't like players running at then.

I think there are much better players in our side that can glide past defenders. if we are going to take that risk and possibly lose possession, I'd rather it was Hendrick, or Bryson or Russell or Dawkins going past men alone.

He can do it, but it's not his strength.

Archived