Conor Sammon to Sheff Utd - FLW

Jenkinson

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just checked, and astonishingly both players, Sammon and Martin, average a shot every 40 minutes of play.

I don't think Sammon is a good player, but if he could finish he'd score goals. He does get a lot of chances one-on-one with the keeper, but just doesn't have the confidence to put them away. 

I won't be sad to see him go, but I don't begrudge him. He scored two last-minute winners this season, including the big one against Watford which arguably set us on our way.

I'm with Srg on this. He certainly moves a lot, but most of that movement is into the wrong place. He rarely offers a target for other players to pass or cross to. His chances appear to be random events where he just happened to be in the right place - and with so much headless chicken style running he is bound to accidently take up such positions occasionally. He's good at hassling defenders, he works hard and he's actually pretty good at picking out passes, but his movement is all quantity and no quality.

Ok, you say his positioning is clueless. Do you not agree that he quite regularly finds himself in positions where he should be sticking the ball in the back of the net? I think to say this is blind luck is short sighted.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he's good enough for us, but I can see what he offers and I don't think it's just hassling defenders and putting a shift in.

I'd say that he has fewer shooting opportunities than an average striker would (especially in such an attacking team) - it's just that his misses are so memorable, thus they remain in the 'minds eye' for longer and consequently appear more frequent.

Sammon aside, he who should not be named amazes me, he just sticks to his choices doesn't he, even if they were made 2 seasons ago, i cant be bothered to look but he must have about 4 players with him now he had when he was here :huh: 

I cant decide whether he is loyal, or stubborn, or what...

Seems like Greg Dyke's B-team movement is already happening in Sheffield.

Seriously though time for Sammon to move on. Suits all parties.

Perhaps you're right. Without any real stats on this apart from shots, which obviously doesn't mean much, there's no real way of knowing.

He's definitely a strange player, the fact Martinez brought him to Wigan suggests there's a footballer in him somewhere. I still don't understand how we ended up paying double what they paid though, that's the biggest issue I have with the whole Sammon story.

Perhaps you're right. Without any real stats on this apart from shots, which obviously doesn't mean much, there's no real way of knowing.

He's definitely a strange player, the fact Martinez brought him to Wigan suggests there's a footballer in him somewhere. I still don't understand how we ended up paying double what they paid though, that's the biggest issue I have with the whole Sammon story.

maybe it wasn't the case. Has derby ever admitted it? It was always undisclosed.

I think they liked us to think it was £1.2Mill, maybe we will find out when we accept 500k for him. Because they will have to defend the loss in outlay won't they?

One report had his move to Wigan as worth over a million with an initial fee of 650k ish.

I imagine, because that's all we can do, that we made a similar deal with Wigan, and that the add-on criteria has not been met.

One reporter might call it a 650k transfer, another a 1.2 million transfer. There's absolutely no way we actually paid Wigan double what they paid for Sammon, no chance.

I'd say that he has fewer shooting opportunities than an average striker would (especially in such an attacking team) - it's just that his misses are so memorable, thus they remain in the 'minds eye' for longer and consequently appear more frequent.

Same as Martin, according to last season. 

Which is a lot more than the average striker. 

maybe it wasn't the case. Has derby ever admitted it? It was always undisclosed.

I think they liked us to think it was £1.2Mill, maybe we will find out when we accept 500k for him. Because they will have to defend the loss in outlay won't they?

I was always inclined to think that way too, but I thought Rush had recently come out and said that Sammon cost us in the order of £2mil in the year we signed him (including wages), which seemed to pretty much confirm the fee was in the region of £1.2mil? 

I was always inclined to think that way too, but I thought Rush had recently come out and said that Sammon cost us in the order of £2mil in the year we signed him (including wages), which seemed to pretty much confirm the fee was in the region of £1.2mil? 

Not really, there's so many different ways of counting things that it doesn't tell us a lot really.  It won't stop people being certain of it though.

How much of the 1.2million do you reckon we can recoup if this goes through?

If we could sell him to the gumps, abut 8 million of it, I reckon.

Same as Martin, according to last season.

Which is a lot more than the average striker.

Were they counting him as controlling it as shots? Although sometimes I thought "if only he controlled it instead of shooting he would score"

Connor is good... Batman has spoken... Move on people...

However I maintain the same attitude as with Bailey and Legzdins... Would have loved to keep them around as back-up but they're good enough to be playing regular football so only fair to let the lads move on...

You're judging him on performances where he's been asked to play as a hold up centre forward, that's not his game and I doubt it ever will be.

He's quite capable of peeling off defenders and finding space in the box though, you don't get to miss so many gilt edged chances if you're not.

He's more capable of peeing off supporters though.

Oh sorry, peeling. My mistake.

Archived