Alberto Bueno

SpondonRam

Yes - that one. The one who has taken to throwing himself to the ground whenever a player breathes on his neck. He's a talented boy but he will never make the step up until he toughens up.

That tactic has managed to get Jack Wilshire to the world cup......

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No player in the prem ever puts his body in the way and fall over do they? Maybe we should get miles Addison back and replace Hughes as he was strong

I think fellow posters think I'm slagging Hughes off. I'm not. He has silky skills and good feet. However, he has a habit of running into trouble, throwing his hands in the air in protest and losing possession in the process. His team-mates are running alongside him in support and so if we lose the ball, we are under pressure. That's just an element of his game he needs to improve upon. We don't need thugs in our midfield. We have perfectly good tacklers in the side. However, Bueno, too, could not keep the ball under physical pressure. For that reason, I'm out.

Hughes is like any other profesional footballer. They use the situation, or at least try to, to get get an advantage. If you watch his goal against Brighton, apart from being an incredible finish the hugh centre half who tries to tackle him bounces at least 5 yards off him. And he stays on his feet. As I said, all about using the situation with a split second decision. Not dive, but go to ground or not!

I think fellow posters think I'm slagging Hughes off. I'm not. He has silky skills and good feet. However, he has a habit of running into trouble, throwing his hands in the air in protest and losing possession in the process. His team-mates are running alongside him in support and so if we lose the ball, we are under pressure. That's just an element of his game he needs to improve upon. We don't need thugs in our midfield. We have perfectly good tacklers in the side. However, Bueno, too, could not keep the ball under physical pressure. For that reason, I'm out.

You could say the same about Bryson and especially Hendrick who gives the ball away a lot more than Hughes. He is a kid still learning the game probably at least 10 years from his peak

Hughes' losing the ball debate is quite interesting.

I believe he retains possession for us better than anyone, better than anyone else in the Championship can do imo, so i find it surprising others see it slightly differently. 

I sometimes wonder if, because he is so good, we expect a Messi type performance from him all the time.

Hughes' losing the ball debate is quite interesting.

I believe he retains possession for us better than anyone, better than anyone else in the Championship can do imo, so i find it surprising others see it slightly differently. 

I sometimes wonder if, because he is so good, we expect a Messi type performance from him all the time.

Agree completely with this.

On topic, Bueno was a great player who got lost as we failed to utilise him when a strange panic set in. Not sure he'd fit with our style but i'd have him as an option(though that would be highly unrealistic)

We ripped some teams apart when we had the front four of Commons, Bueno, Cywka and Kuqi. Harsh to say it was hoofball. 

That is in the autumn, it was winter when the hoof returned and were terrible for the rest of that season.

If it wasn't for Commons, we would have gone down that year, no doubt.

Nigel seemed desperate to give that Luke Moore games even though he was pretty *****. Nigel tinkered too much with that team.

In fairness he built it. So credit there. The 4231 with Green, Bueno, Commons and Kuqi was good to watch. Brayford on the overlap and Cywka played some nice stuff. Bailey and Savage between them managed to be a George Thorne.

Good team. Nice football.

Then a couple of results went against us. Maybe at Millwall we weren't our best? Then Nigel insisted on Moore "offering a bit more than Kuqi". He didn't. He was too selfish to play the Martin/Kuqi way and had ideas mixed up with his capabilities.

We got mauled at Leicester. Then beat by Burnley and Bueno was injured I think?

From then on it was straight back to 442 survival mode. Kuqi gone. Bueno came back and the ball was often passed to his neck.

Nigel's whole time here can be summarised in that one season imo.

Built something good. A cheaply assembled side who had quality. Decent footballers and a great spirit/attitude. But he sort of bottled it. Laid the foundations and failed to build on them. By February we were a boring team reliant on Commons (like Ward a short time later) to give us that bit of quality). Our spirit ground out results and we saw out the season.

Luke Moore was *****. Lazy and selfish. What's he up to now? Not still stealing wages in Wales is he? His agent did well there

That is in the autumn, it was winter when the hoof returned and were terrible for the rest of that season.

If it wasn't for Commons, we would have gone down that year, no doubt.

Commons for the goals, but I still think our season started when Kuqi came and ended when he returned to Swansea. During Kuqi's twelve games for us we won eight, drew one and lost three, scoring 27 goals in the process. His hold up play was the key to that side. 

Interesting facts about 2010-11 and the front 4 of Commons, Bueno, Cywka and Kuqi:

Kuqi made his debut away at Hull, lining up alongside Bueno and Cywka. Commons replaced Cywka in the second half. We lost 2-0.

Commons kept his place for Barnsley away, as did Kuqi and Bueno. Cywka dropped to the bench, but came on in the second half (for Commons), by which time Commons had already been taken off. We drew 1-1.

Commons, Kuqi and Bueno started against Palace, the best performance of that season and we thrashed them 5-0. Cywka was an unused substitute.

All four started against Middlesbrough, another sparkling performance from Commons especially. We came from a goal down to win 3-1. Pearson came on for Commons on 66 minutes.

Commons, Cywka and Bueno played in a 0-0 draw at Swansea. No Kuqi, and we only named 6 subs. I presume he was injured.

All four played against Preston - another drubbing, this time we ran out 3-0 winners. The first to depart that evening was Bueno on 72 minutes.

Doncaster away saw us throw away a 2 goal lead but grab the winner. Kuqi was on the bench but came on for Luke Moore after 64 minutes (Doncaster scored both of their goals in the 4 minutes following the substitution). The other three started, but Bueno was taken off after 77.

Cywka was an unused substitute for Millwall away - a 2-0 defeat. The other three played.

Next to be put to the sword was Watford, blown away 4-1. Commons, Bueno and Cywka started with Kuqi on the bench. Unfortunately Bueno got injured on 36 minutes - he was replaced by Kuqi.

Bueno was still injured when we played Portsmouth, but the other 3 played. 2-0 win.

Same at Ipswich - no Bueno, the other three started, we won 2-0.

Leicester away saw the wheels start to come off. No Bueno, Kuqi on the bench. Lost 2-0. 

Scunny at home was the day that Roberts got himself booked twice in 2 minutes, the plonker. We held on for a 3-2 win - Commons, Bueno and Cywka played, Kuqi on the bench. Bueno went off before Kuqi came on.

Burnley away was the day Mears scored the bloody equaliser against us. Commons out injured, Kuqi on the bench. Bueno taken off injured after 14 minutes. Lost 2-1.

Norwich at home, no Bueno, Kuqi on the bench. Lost 2-1.

Brizzle away, Kuqi on the bench (unused), the other three played. Lost 2-0.

At that point, Kuqi's 3-month loan expired.

The 'big 4' were on the pitch together for a total of 151 minutes.

Nigel seemed desperate to give that Luke Moore games even though he was pretty *****. Nigel tinkered too much with that team.

In fairness he built it. So credit there. The 4231 with Green, Bueno, Commons and Kuqi was good to watch. Brayford on the overlap and Cywka played some nice stuff. Bailey and Savage between them managed to be a George Thorne.

Good team. Nice football.

Then a couple of results went against us. Maybe at Millwall we weren't our best? Then Nigel insisted on Moore "offering a bit more than Kuqi". He didn't. He was too selfish to play the Martin/Kuqi way and had ideas mixed up with his capabilities.

We got mauled at Leicester. Then beat by Burnley and Bueno was injured I think?

From then on it was straight back to 442 survival mode. Kuqi gone. Bueno came back and the ball was often passed to his neck.

Nigel's whole time here can be summarised in that one season imo.

Built something good. A cheaply assembled side who had quality. Decent footballers and a great spirit/attitude. But he sort of bottled it. Laid the foundations and failed to build on them. By February we were a boring team reliant on Commons (like Ward a short time later) to give us that bit of quality). Our spirit ground out results and we saw out the season.

Luke Moore was *****. Lazy and selfish. What's he up to now? Not still stealing wages in Wales is he? His agent did well there

Your right he key change during that run was when Luke Moore was brought in and Kuqi phased out. 

Moore's first game was the Burnley defeat (I think), where we completely changed the shape of the side and it went downhill from there. We ended up playing hit it to the corners percentage rubbish, suffering a very poor run of results with the lowest point being the Crawley FA Cup defeat. 

Things picked up a bit after the Jan transfer window when Ward, Fielding, etc were bought in but still poor on the whole. Was never a Clough fan, but he really threw away any faith I had in him that season. 

Your right he key change during that run was when Luke Moore was brought in and Kuqi phased out.

Moore's first game was the Burnley defeat (I think), where we completely changed the shape of the side and it went downhill from there. We ended up playing hit it to the corners percentage rubbish, suffering a very poor run of results with the lowest point being the Crawley FA Cup defeat.

Things picked up a bit after the Jan transfer window when Ward, Fielding, etc were bought in but still poor on the whole. Was never a Clough fan, but he really threw away any faith I had in him that season.

Your last sentence summed up my exact same feelings of him too, really wanted him to do well but that Crawley game was when I lost faith in him too.... Just having visions of Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench while Ben Pringle was handed a start did it for me.... An then Buenos not being bought on to try and probably change it as he had the class to do that.

Ah well memories eh?!

That season turned when Kuqi was allowed to leave IMO.

Or, possibly, when Kuqi chose to go.

You can't really keep a loan player around against their will - If they've made it clear that they don't want to stick around and you've brought in someone you think can take their place, then of course you're going to phase out the old for the new.

The error of judgement for me was thinking that Luke Moore was good enough to play the role, not Kuqi leaving - because we don't know whether we actually had a chance of keeping him or not.

I agree, I think Cloughie though that Moore could offer what Kuqi did and a bit more, but he was completely wrong and I think Kuqi thought sod this then

I think it was more a case of Kuqi's loan coming to an end, Moore having not played any games in god knows how long and Porter regaining fitness. Dropping Kuqi gave Moore a chance to get up to speed while still having Kuqi on the bench just in case, rather than rushing back Porter. Then when Swansea released Kuqi Savies was fit again and we were about to sign Theo and Wardy.

Archived