Ownership group to meet management in Chicago

Stuniverse

With Steve McClaren, Chris Evans and Sam Rush flying out to Chicago this weekend to meet with the ownership group, what do we make of this?

Surely this season will have made GSE realise (if they didn't before) the full potential of Derby County if owners, board, manager, backroom staff, players, staff and supporters all pull in the same direction.

Last season was an opportunity missed, but an opportunity nobody expected at the beginning of the season.

Surely GSE must realise that this coming season is the BIG chance for promotion to the Premier League and I hope they back McClaren accordingly. I don't think sweeping changes are required but we need to add genuine quality in key areas and that won't be cheap in either transfer fees or wages.

Now is the time for GSE to step up and show us they mean business!

I hope that's what this planning mission in Chicago is all about.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's got be a good meeting, the season turned out to be brilliant and a decision which could have backfired turned out to be the right decision for the club.

Everyone should be delighted, positive and ready to listen to and then to back McClaren to the hilt.

In my opinion first thing on the list should be extending Bryson's contract. (and getting rid of any clause , if one exists)

Forget George Thorne for now, if we lose Bryson that'll be a massive blow, not only cos of how he plays but also the signal it would send out to our other key players.

<devil's advocate>

Perhaps McClaren has gone to see the owners to discuss being released from his contract, seeing as the odds with all the bookies of him taking the Southampton job have plummeted this morning to the point that he is now second favourite

</devil's advocate>

<devil's advocate>

Perhaps McClaren has gone to see the owners to discuss being released from his contract, seeing as the odds with all the bookies of him taking the Southampton job have plummeted this morning to the point that he is now second favourite

</devil's advocate>

He couldn't leave and have any respect left Eddie.

The whole world knows it was Derby (and Sam Rush in particular) who rescued him and while I question the loyalty levels in football, if McClaren even asks to talk to them, then the trust would be gone and I think so would the backing.

It would be a kick in the teeth of humongous proportions and I don't think McClaren has that in him.

He couldn't leave and have any respect left Eddie.

The whole world knows it was Derby (and Sam Rush in particular) who rescued him and while I question the loyalty levels in football, if McClaren even asks to talk to them, then the trust would be gone and I think so would the backing.

It would be a kick in the teeth of humongous proportions and I don't think McClaren has that in him.

Besides which Southampton will be relegation fodder next season by the time they have sold all their best players. Southampton are going to pretty toxic.

Although a trip to the States might sound dramatic,these kind of boardroom meetings will be taking place everywhere.A few flying to the States is more practical than a lot flying the other way.

Besides which Southampton will be relegation fodder next season by the time they have sold all their best players. Southampton are going to pretty toxic.

Why are they going to be toxic?

Have I missed something about Southampton? Are the board assett stripping or have they just lost a decent manager?

Surely if Mac WAS in the running for the job then it's likely they'll be challenging the top four. Especially with the money they're going to get for Shaw and Lallana (sp)

Why are they going to be toxic?

Have I missed something about Southampton? Are the board assett stripping or have they just lost a decent manager?

Surely if Mac WAS in the running for the job then it's likely they'll be challenging the top four. Especially with the money they're going to get for Shaw and Lallana (sp)

There's talk on the Saints board that they suspect that an asset stripping is about to take place prior to a sale of the club.

It's got be a good meeting, the season turned out to be brilliant and a decision which could have backfired turned out to be the right decision for the club.

Everyone should be delighted, positive and ready to listen to and then to back McClaren to the hilt.

In my opinion first thing on the list should be extending Bryson's contract. (and getting rid of any clause , if one exists)

Forget George Thorne for now, if we lose Bryson that'll be a massive blow, not only cos of how he plays but also the signal it would send out to our other key players.

TBH a few contracts could do with extending IMO

I hope Steve's going to get a bit of a holiday at some point!

I thought the same cos there's only about 4 weeks to pre-season training now. It's the same for our Internationals too. No hols yet for them, they must be knackered.

I've heard that when they get there the first item on the agenda will be a rendition of a certain Sinatra song by each of them individually in front of the board.Brett Wilson will be charged with the task of keeping a straight face and selecting the best performance.My money's on Evans.

I've heard that when they get there the first item on the agenda will be a rendition of a certain Sinatra song by each of them individually in front of the board.Brett Wilson will be charged with the task of keeping a straight face and selecting the best performance.My money's on Evans.

McClaren will be doing My Way, Evans New York, New York. Clough did a recording in late September of Dean Martin's Kick In The Head, rumours are this is why he was given the boot, bloody wrong rat pack member :D

I find it encouraging how soon this meeting is taking place after the season has finished. From the board meeting, the budgets (Although probably in draft form already) will be agreed for the upcoming year, the strategy and direction the club is heading for the next 12 months, transfer targets, responsibility for obtaining those targets and signing deals of etc All this should be agreed by the time Monday comes around.

I would like Derby to reveal who is attending this meeting - Will all the board of directors be in attendance - I hope so as it will make things easier going forward.

Reality is, we won't ever get to see what is discussed at this meeting but I have no issue with that.

Also - the cost to this - fair enough - 4 or 5 staff members/board directors will be flying there and back on Business Class flights, but £20k - £30k of costs is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Archived