Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh? I was 36 when I left the UK. 31 years of the highs and lows of supporting Derby County had passed. A few more have passed since .

Whoosh

Go back and re-read what you wrote…. "I was given a choice - leave home or support Derby"

Like many Northern kids in the mid 80's I came home from school one day to declare myself a Liverpool fan. And my old man told me "you were born in Derby, you're a Ram".

Always grateful not to be a plastic top 4 supporter. People immediately assume you're a real fan & actually bother to ask you about your team.

Born between Stoke and Derby. Supported Liverpool from when I was 5 until I was 11, then the old man told me that I should support the local team. Probably meant Stoke but Derby had just gone up to the top flight the year before. Plus, Stoke? No fooking chance.

First game was Middlesborough at the BBG, won 1-0. Trevor Hebberd I think.

Supported Manchester United untll I was 11, When my grandad couldnt take it anymore took me Pride Park. First game was against Burnely Paul Connely scored a 92nd min equlliser still didnt rate him :p Since then tho I have always supported Derby despite being from Leicester blame the family :D

Was into WWF Wrestling. Not interested in football. My mum bought be a PL sticker book and some stickers to keep me quiet for an hour. A family friend saw me with it, asked if I wanted to go watch a football match.

10yrs old, Rams beat Tranmere 5-0 and I'd never experienced anything so awesome as blokes swearing and going mental.

Take me again please?

And again

And again.

Should have took me to Old Trafford ffs

Born and bred in Nottingham.

Went to school in Nottingham whilst they were lifting European cups.

Saw the best manager in the world daily in the local paper.

But had already chosen Derby (well why wouldn't you) and once you've connected..... Can't (and wouldn't) ever give them up.

No other football fans in my close family and they just don't get that bit

I moved with my job to Leicestershire in 1978 and used to pick my games to watch depending on who the likes of Derby, Leicester, Coventry and the 2 Nottingham clubs were playing. Found myself going to the Baseball Ground when the Rams were at home then stopped going to watch the other sides altogether. Season ticket holder since 1982 as are my 2 boys.

Remember going with a mate who supported Everton to a League Cup match at Goodison Park (late 60's or early 70's - could have been a replay) and I've never forgotten the support Rams fans gave their team that night!

Born in Ssausagehorpe. Moved to Matlock aged 2 and left at 9 (1974). Flirted with Millwall initially (my Dad's team) but been the Rams ever since the age of about 5. Dad would not take me to the BBG as thought I was too young, so my early football experience was at Saltergate (Ernie Moss was their main man). Never lived very close since but still manage to get to NW away games and a handful of home games each year. Flirting with a season ticket but still playing cricket so would lose late April/early May and August/early September. Think I am getting more obsessive the older I get. Proud to support a proper football team from a real football town, and Rams fans as a breed are passionate, discerning, long-suffering, knowledgeable and mad! :)

Started getting into football seriously when I began university, thanks to my housemates who were all massive fans of their respective hometown clubs. I had a very slight interest in football before that but playing it two/three times a week and everyone converging on the living room for Gillette Soccer Saturdays really brought me in.

I was born and raised in Derby so it was a natural choice from there, despite my dad's early attempts to get me to support Man United. Started going to matches whenever I could and that solidified it.

Archived