Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in a village near Bakewell & was taken to the BBG a few times as a young-un by my dad but didn't really follow football properly until I was about 9 or 10, at which point everyone at our small village primary school was either Liverpool or Man U. I did follow the Rams a bit then but officially chose Man U cos you don't want to be the odd one out at that age do you? - plus Derby were languishing in the third tier by then & almost going bust.

Going to a big secondary school opened my eyes & taught me that it was OK to support whoever you liked, so I came out of the Rams closet for good but didn't really go to many games until the move to PP.

Incidentally, most of my Man U / Liverpool supporting school pals now follow Sheff Utd.

Born in Derby,

Got to primary school, peer pressured into supporting a "big" team. Friend bought me an Arsenal shirt for my birthday.

However Dad just said no you support Derby, that was that. Season ticket holder from then onwards.

Glad he got me on the straight and narrow early doors. 

I go mad at kids down in cardiff,if they say they support Man U ,Liverpool etc

Support you're local team glory hunters

But have you noticed how watered down the glory is? I mean, for a start, EVERYONE of them 'goes' for a 'big' club. Know nothing but Europe every year, silverware every other year. The worst thing that has happened to a Man U supporting teenager is David Moyes. So it all gets a bit diluted. Not for those kids are the trials and the bad times which make the sweetest moments so much more exhilarating.

I mean, seriously, did Man City youngsters (or Chelsea youngsters before them) REALLY get to relish the breaking of their respective droughts built from hard work...or did they just get to line up and nod at the rich man called Sandy or Vlad? (Said with the greatest of respect to true fans: My best mate's mum is well into her 90s, supported City all her life and says she somehow feels robbed. Yet, she has always greeted me with "How's Derby going?" followed by "he's a good lad, sticking with a real side" as she looks at her children who support United or Pool.

That is indicative why Derby fans won the supporters of the year in the Prem despite the wretched season...

Even if you look at the local Cardiff kids who support their team, they'll be rewarded when the Malaysian menace wanders off...and their love will be greater because of the strain of nearly losing their club. As much as I like to joke about winning a rich Arab owner by changing our name to Abu Derby County, the fact is we've had our share of cakehole owners too....But the club's reputation as truly a fans' club was restored and strengthened.

COYMR!

TobyWanKenobi

Well, I was born in the Derby Royal Infirmary, in the city of Derby, in the county of Derbyshire, so I was like "Alright then, if you twist my arm, I'll have to support Derby County."

Dad was a steward at the BBG, sneaked me in to my first game, which was the last at that place. 

I was only 3 at the time, I don't remember much of the game, but that feeling when everyone was on the pitch after the game will always stay with me.. I've never experienced an atmosphere quite like that day, and I don't think I ever will.

Had a season ticket for about 5 years at PPS after that, but had to cut down due to money issues, then having to work weekends. Always followed the Rams on TV, listened to every commentary - Graham Richards was a hero - and what have you.

Got a new season ticket last year, as the South Stand project finally brought out an ST I could afford, and have renewed already for next season. Long may it continue.

My grandfather took my father, my father took me, I have taken my sons, my sons will take my grand-children and my grandchildren will take my great-grandchildren to watch the Rams. It's just how it is and hopefully will always be....

My first game was the 4th Rd FA Cup Tie against West Brom on 26th January 1946, I was taken by my Uncle Ted along with cousin Syd, we managed to get to the front of the Boys' Corner and watched the Rams win 1-0 with the superbly skilful Peter Doherty scoring the goal.  

That convinced a football mad 9 year old that there was only one team worth supporting, through good times and bad my love of my team has never diminished, OK it was hard seeing us sink to into Division 3 North in 1955 but supporting them from afar whilst doing my National Service in Scotland I knew we were destined for better things and I was in C Stand at the BBG on 27th April 1957 when we beat Southport 2-0 with the great Ray Straw scoring both goals, he scored 37 that season and after the game the crowd chanted his name until he came to the front of the Directors Box to receive the adulation of the crowd, we had gained promotion and were back onto the rollercoaster ride which was part and parcel of supporting Derby County.

I suppose I am more fortunate than many Rams fans having had the privilege of seeing some of the greatest players ever to don a Rams shirt, Carter, Stamps, Doherty, Duncan, Leuty, Nicholas, Howe, Bullions, Musson, Crooks, Harrison, Mozley, Ward, Steel, T. Powell, Morris etc and those that followed in their football bootsteps.

I was born a Ram and will die a RAM.

Seriously.

Derby born and bread. (Sinfin lad but we won't go there!)

Dad took me to my first game. Derby County v Bristol Rovers 85/86 season we lost 2-0.

I was already hooked. Had some highs had some lows.

Key club member from the start! Standing on a crate then crouching on the railings with loads of other kids. Getting bol locked by the older lot for obscuring there view.

Remember routine for match day when a little un.

Engineers club on Osmaston Road (not far from town ) ham cob and a coke for me. Walk down to the Peartree. Have to wait outside as me dad bad uncles went in and get there pints.

Into my early teens changed to the Chestnut and walk to match from there. Something about walking through all the back streets fills me with great nostalgia.

Into my drinking years. Having a cheeky few in any boozer in town and onwards to P P.

Nowadays taking my lads now aged (7 and 4) watching them enjoy themselves and smiling away thinking, wouldn't be any other than a Ram.

Also being a ball boy 3 times 91/92 season. Arsenal in league cup, Millwall and some Italian side I can't remember in the Anglo Italian cup.

Also " finding " a turnstile number after the last game at the BBG.

Born in Portsmouth, but moved to Italy when I was 4, so when I started getting into football I only really knew about Derby because my dad drilled it into me.. So when we moved back from Italy in 1998 and went to my first game vs West Ham at PP I fell even more in love and never looked back!

Also as a side note, the only reason my dad supported Derby was because he lived in cornwall after being born in Manchester and picked the team at the top of the table.. No regrets!!

I love threads like this one. We had one on the Foxes Forum, and there were all sorts of bizarre reasons given (aside from the "born and bred in Leicester" fans who are, of course, in the majority) - like the "Hector's House" poster, which i think is classic. I could have been a Derby fan - was born and brought up in Loughborough - or Florist or (at a pinch) Notts County. I had mates at school who supported those teams. But I was taken to see City as an 11-year-old as a reward for passing the eleven-plus, and that was that.

I love threads like this one. We had one on the Foxes Forum, and there were all sorts of bizarre reasons given (aside from the "born and bred in Leicester" fans who are, of course, in the majority) - like the "Hector's House" poster, which i think is classic. I could have been a Derby fan - was born and brought up in Loughborough - or Florist or (at a pinch) Notts County. I had mates at school who supported those teams. But I was taken to see City as an 11-year-old as a reward for passing the eleven-plus, and that was that.

and you see...all that "you need to concentrate at school and get good grades"...it is all rubbish....look where it got you.!

Because I've loved them since a child of 10 .

I used to walk from Littleover King George the 5th playing fields area with my mates to the Baseball Ground and go in the boys pen and watch Geoff Barrowcliffe and Jack Parry and Frank Upton etc.

It's in the blood supporting the Rams for me as I'm Derby born and I've never moved away from the Derby area.

I used to walk from my parents home in Carlisle Ave in the early 70's to the BBG . The anticipation as you got to the Cavendish and got closer to ground and the atmosphere was starting to build as you made your ya through the streets was something not to be missed.

Derby have been my team since I knew they existed when I was about 5 or 6 in the mid sixties. No other team has ever interested me expect England

Further to the above, my late dad's side of the family moved to Derby in the late 1800's to work on the railways, my great, great grandad brought the family to live in Normanton. They appear in the 1901, and 1911 census. 100 plus years of being in Derby, you just can't support anyone else.

The club had close ties with the railway in the very early days of its existence. I like to think my relations used to go and watch them at the BBG, a bit to soon for the racecourse I would think.

I always tell people you should support your local club, or where your family is from as it's in your heritage and DNA,

At around 4/5 years old, my next door neighbour supported Man Utd so I copied him basically.

That was until I got taken to a Derby vs Millwall match (Dennis Wise was manager) and we won 2-0. As I was a bit older by then and I could think for myself, I realised I could go to more Derby games with them being the local team and I starting following Derby.

Archived