Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dad and Grandad took me to watch Derby as a five year old ,I live in Nottingham and the dogs had a good side in the early sixties ,my uncle tried to convert me but I stood firm .Then along came God and the best Derby side ever, and although it was tough in the school playground as a kid I am Derby til I die.

Because I've loved them since a child of 10 .

I used to walk from Littleover King George the 5th playing fields area with my mates to the Baseball Ground and go in the boys pen and watch Geoff Barrowcliffe and Jack Parry and Frank Upton etc.

It's in the blood supporting the Rams for me as I'm Derby born and I've never moved away from the Derby area.

For me it is because I really thought they were the best team in the country. I thought the reason they hovered around the bottom half of the old Second Division was due to bad luck. When they actually became the best team in the country I thought it was just their normal state. Looking back I now know I was a nutter.

Some of the more sensible Derby lads used to support the teams that really were the best in the country like Manchester United, Liverpool and Leeds. They even continued to support these teams when Derby was without doubt the top team. I could never get my head around that.

Because.....

I was born near the centre of Derby and my older brother used to take me on the back of his moped and I loved being with him and the noise and sounds of the BBG and Gordon Hughes' haircut and Reg Matthews and Kevin Hector.

And then because we became good (and becoming was fun) and were on TV or the radio every 5 minutes (or Sir Brian and Mike Yarwood were)

And then because it gave my life a structure and meaning during my teenage years, something which I have never lost (sad though that may be) I have continued to go, wherever I have lived.

But if there was some 'thing' that kept me going throughout, that attracted me in the first place, it was the noise, smell and atmosphere of the BBG - I will never forget the excitement of turning the corner and seeing the floodlights, of going through the turnstiles onto the Popside, of being part of the crowd, moving, swaying, singing - I joined the Rams at about 7 years old and have never left, nor ever wanted to. 

Originally from Codnor and my Dad had a season ticket from the early 1960s. I started going with him as soon as I could walk quickly enough to keep up a decent walking pace - 1973 occasionally and ST 1974-5 . Although my parents stupidly relocated us to near Hinckley, my Dad worked at my Grandparent's pub in Derby, so we kept our season tickets and I spent my Saturdays in Derby. Always hated Hinckley (and Leicester City) and always loved Derby, and especially the Rams.

Sadly I lapsed in going to matches regularly for quite a while - a career in retail tends to ensure that you have other things to do with your Saturdays - and living in Cornwall for over a decade didn't help. But I still managed three or four games a season. When I decided to change careers a few years back the opportunity arose to move back to Derby - and the chance of having a season ticket again was a large deciding factor. Cornwall is magnificent and beautiful, but it doesn't have Derby County - and I strangely missed the Midlands sense of humour.

I love it that now I take my eldest daughter to matches and my two younger ones pester me constantly to take them as well.

My Dad, who was born in Derby, threatened me with either supporting the Rams or leaving home. I was 5 at the time.

So you sodded off to Zaragoza?

I'd have chosen supporting Derby, me. What made you eventually choose us?

Archived