Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

and you see...all that "you need to concentrate at school and get good grades"...it is all rubbish....look where it got you.!

Yeah, but if it had gone differently I might have ended up supporting Florist and getting all excited now about Pearce's appointment. Would you really wish this kind of thing on a nice bloke like me: http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40684?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I moved to Leicestershire because of my dads job at the age of 10 from London, and because I'd been forced to move to a place I didn't want to go to, logically I decided that I hated the local football team. For some reason I had no interest in Forest, even though they were the reigning League champions and won the European Cup 2 weeks after I arrived, but when I started at the local comprehensive one of the cool kids in my form was a Rams supporter and after we started teaming up for the breaktime kickabouts as Biley & Swindlehurst I caught the bug.

I got my first replica kit (the Patrick one) in 1981 and saw my first game at the BBG in August 1982 (Carlisle Utd and we lost 3-0) but I was smitten and couldn't imagine following any other club. - its in the blood.

Quite proud of this thread! Also its great to here some lovely stories on why we support them. Would you of had it any other way? NO because we are rams and proud!! (recent success helps too though!!!)  Lets support the boys onwards and upwards to the Premier league. Come on you RAMS!!!!  :)

Three days before Derby won the FA Cup, Stuart McMillan had all the players under strict curfew at the Midland Hotel.

My Mum and Granny both worked there in the kitchens as cooks. Both knew many of the players, especially Jackie Stamps and Reg Harrison, who were family friends (My Dad was Reg's sergeant when he did his National Service). Anyway, the players were not allowed out unsupervised so close to the Cup Final, and the Manager's eyes were everywhere.

They weren't in the kitchen though, so Mum and Granny kept watch while the players nipped out to the pub, and let them back into the hotel through the kitchen / staff entrance. No doubt keeping the players happy had the desired effect, as the victory over Charlton at Wembley the following Saturday proves.

Three days before Derby won the FA Cup, Stuart McMillan had all the players under strict curfew at the Midland Hotel.

My Mum and Granny both worked there in the kitchens as cooks. Both knew many of the players, especially Jackie Stamps and Reg Harrison, who were family friends (My Dad was Reg's sergeant when he did his National Service). Anyway, the players were not allowed out unsupervised so close to the Cup Final, and the Manager's eyes were everywhere.

They weren't in the kitchen though, so Mum and Granny kept watch while the players nipped out to the pub, and let them back into the hotel through the kitchen / staff entrance. No doubt keeping the players happy had the desired effect, as the victory over Charlton at Wembley the following Saturday proves.

It took 90 minutes for the alcohol to wear off.

It took 90 minutes for the alcohol to wear off.

It must have been good stuff in the Brunswick even in them days.

I have my dad to thank. He started to take me in the late 70's. The whole thing was amazing. The walk through normanton to the ground. The smell of fags and ale as i walked past the vulcan. The smell of chips nearing the ground. On a cold winter night you could look over the popside from the ley stand and see steam coming off the crowd. The odd punch up, pitch invasions, seats flying on the pitch oh and the odd game of football.

I was born in Kent. But moved up to Derby as a youngster when my Dad started working for Rolls Royce.

We lived slap bang in he middle of Derby and Nottingham, and my Dad was never really into football as a youngster.

I supported Arsenal, then Man Utd and then Liverpool as a kid for various reasons. I had an Ian Wright Arsenal kit, a Peter Schmeichel GK top when I went to Old Trafford as a youngster and despite not having a Liverpool top, my best friend at the time was a Liverpool fan and convinced me. (I was like 8 at the time)

After I started playing football, I guess my Dad thought it would make more sense for me to watch a local team at the stadium. Assuming the majority at Rolls Royce were Derby fans, he took me once to the BBG and then to PP when we first got promoted.

Since then, I've been in contact ever since despite being out of the country since 2008.

I've since persuaded a few of my Mexican buddies to follow the Rams. Four of them have tops which I bought them, one has a huge 'The Rams' sticker on his car and another regularly watches matches on the net.

I've even managed to persuade my girlfriend to take notice, so her number one club is now DCFC followed by Cruz Azul.

"https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1.0-9/269539_10150668919050524_3164466_n" alt="269539_10150668919050524_3164466_n">

Best mate supported them and his dad took us to the home games. Not easy being a Rams fan when attending Nottingham schools and Forest were winning those trophies! Got of a lot of verbal "stick" (friendly banter though)! The excitement of listening to Radio Derby or waiting for the World of Sport/Sportsnight footie results was second to none.

I dont follow Derby for the hapinees it may or may not bring,

That is not something i strive for.

I simple follow Derby county because that is what is right.

And everyone likes to be right.

And my old man said follow the rams and dont dilly dally on the way...... :ph34r:

I was born on Havelock road, about 5 minutes walk from the BBG. My dad first took me when I was about 3. i'd be lying if i said that I remember my 1st game, but I do do remember snippets of some very early games. At first we used to go in the corner between the Normanton End and Popside. I remember I used to cling to the floodlight to be able to see above the crowd. After a while (at about 6 years of age) I became the first person to be seated on the Popside. My dad broke up my "formula 1" go-cart to make me a seat which slotted into the stand at head hight in some holes, until that damned Clough fella made enough money to build a spanking new stand and that invention went out the window. I remember being shown in close-up on "Match of the Day". I had a much better view than at the front stood on a beer crate! After that supporting any other club just didn't enter my head. When I was older I had a season ticket for 16 years on the Popside. When the seats were put in I had met my son to be wife and we both had season tickets in Normanton Lower. Then after the move to PP she stopped going (she said that she didn't really like football but I swear she jumped in the air even before me when Sturridge scored against Palace). After only a month or so of PP we moved over to Spain (she's Spanish), and that was the end of watching my beloved Derby. I now have to make do via internet (and with you lot). In 17 years my only live game was Fester away about 4 years ago (2-0, no surprise there). I'll be over for a long week end at the end of April. The missus doesn't know yet, but we're at home against Watford :ph34r:

Moved to Derby 73-74  :D

Came from a rugby town, soon discovered the Rams were pretty much a religion, amazing time and place to be a school kid, still the place I think of as my home town and go home or away when I can. 

Had been to B&Q (or whatever it was back then) in 1985 and I had got an airfix Spitfire kit as a present, I was on a high so when my Mum stopped at Cotton Lane nick to drop my dad off I asked where he was going and he said to the match. I wasn't really into football then but asked if I could go he said yes and took me. We played Bolton and won 3-1 (I think) I absolutely loved it, as others have said in this thread the whole concept of men shouting and swearing was amazing to an 8 year old then, I was hooked.Went to the Rotherham game that season as well, and got a season ticket the year after. I thought promotions were the norm back then. :lol:

Now 30 years later and after many trips to the likes of Charlton and Southend on a Tuesday night am still a fan although not been to a game for 4 years now. But on my travels I have spread the word of the Rams to most people I have met, including Lebanese restaurant owners, French Foreign legionnaires and a school just outside Cape Town where 4 of the lads now have Derby shirts.

Born in Derby, with Rams fans on both sides of my family.  My mum and auntie were/are big fans (and still sit on the same row as me), and my dad started watching them as a kid in the 60s and witnessed the 2 championship years.  Incidentally, he still maintains that the 1975 side was the better of the two, despite popular opinion... 

I was never interested in football as a kid, despite my mum buying me a Rams shirt when I was around 8 or 9, but I was taken to a match aged 11, and from then on I was hooked.  Millwall at the BBG, March 1994.  A dull 0-0 but I remember being overawed with the place, the atmosphere, the roar of the crowd.  We sat in the Normanton end the first few times we went, and I loved the sound of the crowd stamping their feet on the wooden floor! Great times.

Had my first ST in 1995/96, and absolutely loved that season (for obvious reasons).  Stuffing Sunderland 3-1 on Boxing Day 95 to go top of the league and bouncing out of the ground.  Fantastic.

This is my 20th year as a Rams fan, and I'm still loving it.  I kept my ST even while I was away at university, although I gave it up for a couple of years at one point after becoming a bit disillusioned with the style of football we were playing.  My love of the club has never diminished though, and I've had my ST back now for a few seasons.  It's in my blood now.

I got married this year and although we don't have kids yet, I fully intend to raise them as Rams fans when we do.  My wife and father-in-law are West Ham fans, but we live up in Derby so there's really no choice in the matter...  I'm definitely not having them growing up as glory supporters of the big clubs, whatever happens!

Snappy (my grandson) is 2.

When he's 3, he'll be ready. He can already shout "Come on, Derby" with the best of them.

Archived