Dawkins interview in the Independent

HeyHudson

MLS may be a retirement home to some, but for Derby's Simon Dawkins it revived his career

The perception of Major League Soccer as a gentle grazing ground for superannuated Premier League footballers is easy to form, not least at Tottenham Hotspur where fans have seen Jermain Defoe follow Robbie Keane and Carlo Cudicini's trail to North America. Yet for another Spurs old boy, Simon Dawkins, it was a spell in the States that actually revived his career in this country.

It was during a two-year stay at San Jose Earthquakes that Dawkins, now a Derby County player, gained his first taste of regular first-team action after injury had stalled his development at Tottenham. The fact that before joining Derby in October the 26-year-old winger had only ever made two league starts in English football – on loan at Leyton Orient five years earlier – underlines the significance of his time across the Pond.

"A lot of players do it towards the end of their career," he tells The Independent. "They want to go there because obviously the lifestyle is a lot better there, playing in the sun, but to me it was about getting games and progressing, and I did that under my coach, Frank Yallop. I owe a lot to him."

Dawkins, who joined Spurs at 13, had come close to a first-team breakthrough under Martin Jol. "When I was about 18, I had a four or five-month period on the bench for every game and he said, 'Just wait your turn, it'll come,'" he explains but instead, early in 2009, he suffered a torn patella tendon that left him thinking he "maybe wouldn't be able to play again". His subsequent release by Tottenham that summer marked the start of a spell in career limbo: after completing his rehab, trials with several clubs – from Celtic to Strasbourg via Bournemouth – came to nothing and he ended up training back at Spurs Lodge at the invitation of Tim Sherwood, then part of Harry Redknapp's coaching staff. "He spent a lot of time with me before and after training trying to get my sharpness back," he says of Sherwood's help, which eventually yielded a new contract.

Serendipity then smiled on Dawkins when David Beckham turned up at Tottenham during the MLS off-season in January 2011. "David is the reason I went out in the first place. He was training with Spurs at the time I was looking for a loan move. He was friends with Frank Yallop who was manager at LA Galaxy when he first moved out there, so he took me on loan." Over the 2011 and 2012 seasons Dawkins played 53 matches and scored 14 goals under Yallop, the former Ipswich Town defender, helping the Earthquakes win the 2012 Western Conference before losing in the MLS Cup play-offs to the Galaxy of Beckham and Keane. "I enjoyed it so much. After I did my second year, I had a lot more options."

Back home, he spent the tail end of last term at Aston Villa – making four substitute appearances – and opportunity knocked again this autumn. Before heading to San Jose, Dawkins had also had a trial with Dutch side FC Twente, then under Steve McClaren's management. "Money issues" meant a proposed loan fell through then, but McClaren came back in to make him his first recruit for Derby on a two-and-a-half year deal. "He always had me in his thoughts and once he took the Derby job he called and told me to come down and see how I fitted in," Dawkins said. "It has been great to have someone like that coaching you, giving you the freedom to play. I'm just growing as a player every day." The wide attacker adds McClaren's coaching has already improved his defensive game: "I don't think it was very good before coming to Derby but it has got a lot better since I've been working under him."

To date Dawkins has made 22 appearances and struck three goals for a team chasing a Premier League place. Third in the Championship, Derby have had a hiccup of late, with just one point from their last three games, but Dawkins remains upbeat. "We just need to find that little bit of form again where we were putting teams away around Christmas time and hopefully this is the time now," he says. He has kept the Californian optimism but how is he coping without the sunshine? "That is a hard one really," he laughs, but it is a price worth paying to be finally making his way in the English game. "I realised being out for that long how much it really meant to me," he adds. "You just want to enjoy it every time you step on the field. That is what I am doing and I will do that for the rest of my career."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/mls-may-be-a-retirement-home-to-some-but-for-derbys-simon-dawkins-it-revived-his-career-9188252.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is one of those players who sometimes doesn't look in control of the ball but somehow still comes out of a crowd of defenders with it right at his feet. At first I thought he was just getting some lucky ricochets etc but the more it happened the more I realised he does have some wonderful close control.

He can be a bit indecisive at times and there are occasions where he takes an extra touch/tries to beat one more man when he should perhaps have shot/passed but he's certainly a very exciting player to watch when he's on song.

Some parts of his game are top-end Premier League standard, others are lower league guff. 

I love watching him dribble, just wish he was more effective when it came to getting in and around the box.

Spot on. At the moment, I think he's nearly a very good player.

needs to improve his composure in the area, this in turn will improve his striking technique. At the moment, most of his shots are tame and straight to the 'keeper, much like Connor Sammon's. Striking technique would make Dawkins amazing.

So glad he signed permanently, remember fans and Craig Ramage slating him in his first 1/2 games. I remember the insult being 'Mason Bennett gets to the box and then loses the ball, Dawkins doesn't even get to the box' which shocked me because even in his first game it was obvious he was an exciting player. The way he can move over so much ground so quickly with the ball when there are defenders in the way. He ghosts past players and its brilliant to watch. He's abit like (i'm not comparing abilities before i get shot down) luis suarez in that he can run into a player the ball with bounce around abit but he will emerge with the ball still at his feet. It looks like hes lost the ball but it sticks to him like glue. His strength is also a quality attribute to have. I said to my dad at the match Tuesday - I'd trust Dawkins to be able to shield the ball in our six yard box from two of their players with no goalkeeper and I'd still expect Dawkins not to lose the ball. 

:wub: favourite current player klaxon haha.

I think this lad is underrated by some. He's premier quality in my opinion, he'll only get better as he plays more games.

Could be a great signing.

Underrated? If he works on his balance and control for his left foot and develops an end product then yes he is fantastic. Working on his left foot and balance would immediately give him an end product. But for now his flaws are an incredible impact on his performance. 

Looking forward to seeing him next season. You can tell he's been playing regularly at a level with a much slower pace, and that affects his decision making in the final third.

But if you're that good at getting into the final third, you're good enough to produce more than he has done.

One of a number players in our squad that I'd expect to step up another level next season, where I expect us to go up as champions.

Heard it here first...

I thought he was no better than Theo when he joined us, now he looks class, we're a better team with him in it, he glides

Aye, my first post about him was in comparison to Theo - I said he didn't appear to have any real close control and liked to get the ball out of his feet and run (which is the type of play that works so well in MLS and the Scottish Prem) rather than keep it close - after about his 3rd appearance he'd stopped playing like that!

I'd like to see how he plays on the right, so he's not having to cut inside all the time - the one noticeable time he popped up there on Tuesday was to set up Ward's chance.

I said a few weeks back that people don't seem to appreciate build up play unless it results in a goal - that chance was the case exactly - you can say he has no final end product but that layoff to Ward WAS end product in the role he's asked to play. He's layed it off well for others in the past too - just because he's not whipping in crosses doesn't mean he's not doing the job of a wide attacking midfielder playing on the wrong side. He's still adjusting.

Back to Theo, obviously Robinson did score a good amount more but then he was always played centrally.

He had hit a bit of a flat spot before the last few games, but was very good against Bolton and was comfortably our most dangerous player v Millwall.

At first I thought he was *****, but he has the potential to be a bit special.

He looks after the ball so well, there were a couple of points where he was surrounded by 3 or 4 Bolton players, and still managed to either find a safe pass, or come away with the ball.

The one that especially caught my eye was when he was about 15 yards inside our half, didn't panic and got it safely back to Grant. It's such a shame that he's only doing this now, and not about 4 years ago, he'd be a really special player.

Archived