Cloughs signings

PistoldPete2

It's all about context.

We were skint when he came and struggling to stay in the league both on a footballing and financial footing and suffering the biggest premier league hangover in history.

The rot had set in.

We almost seemed cursed. We could do no good.

He got rid of overpaid mediocrity and brought in a mixture of great, good, average and poor players at a cheaper price and in the end brought in a collectively better set of players (certainly in terms of potential) than he inherited.

But whilst all that was happening and I never doubted his heart or commitment, the club was stagnating. Attendances dropped. Interest wained.

I still feel sad that it didn't work out, but only on a human level. He seems like a good man with integrity and that's hard to come across anywhere, least of all in football.

But he couldn't quite make it work.

For reasons I don't think we'll ever really know.

Non league backroom staff?

Lack of funds from GSE?

Poor tactical nous?

All those things?

None of those things?

But now we've got Steve and he's inherited a great little team. Embellished it a bit. And we're flying.

If nothing else...

It's a good story.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But where were they when he took over? They are a lot closer to mid table now than when he took the job.

When he took over they were 21st (4th from bottom) and 2 points from safety, they are now 18th 1 point above safety. I guess you can spin it and say they are a lot closer to mid table.

Because it meant we got 2 years out of him for the price of 1 at a time when we needed experience & were pretty skint. I didn't particularly like the guy either but I think we'd have struggled even more without him at the time.

As a general point, considering the end of the market Nigel had to operate in, his signings were generally very good. Surprised people are questioning it. Seems some folk are determined not to give him any credit at all for the foundations he laid for this season's success.

I don't agree, while Savage was in the side we were always handicapped, we were never going to progress.

When he took over they were 21st (4th from bottom) and 2 points from safety, they are now 18th 1 point above safety. I guess you can spin it and say they are a lot closer to mid table.

So have they not closed the gap on teams above them?

I guess you can spin it and say they are closer to relegation!

Depends on your initial point of view I guess.

So have they not closed the gap on teams above them?

I guess you can spin it and say they are closer to relegation!

Depends on your initial point of view I guess.

The original point was someone said they were near mid table, they are actually with a pack of clubs currently fighting relegation, they were 6 points off 13th when he took they are now 5, so pretty much where the same. That's not really an initial point of view.

Anyway we now have the right man now who is taking us forward

Lets not rewritte history here! Overall Clough's sigining were poor.

For every chris martin there was a chris porter or a chris Maguire or nathan tyson or a theo robinson or a conor sammon etc etc etc

No one is rewriting history here. We've discussed his signings enough and on the whole, most of us agreed he did well in the transfer market. Even the players you've mentioned:

Porter (9 goals in 20 starts and 24 subs),

Robinson (23 goals in 51 starts and 32 subs),

Sammon (14 goals in 47 starts and 30 subs)

I wouldn't exactly say they were poor figures. Not great but what I'd expect from squad players such as these

No one is rewriting history here. We've discussed his signings enough and on the whole, most of us agreed he did well in the transfer market. Even the players you've mentioned:

I wouldn't exactly say they were poor figures. Not great but what I'd expect from squad players such as these

Even Tyson did alright last season, I think he averaged a goal every 180 minutes. Probably as good as bad signings go!

Good job no-one mentioned his 50 odd loan signings yet………… Opppppps  :ph34r:

The original point was someone said they were near mid table, they are actually with a pack of clubs currently fighting relegation, they were 6 points off 13th when he took they are now 5, so pretty much where the same. That's not really an initial point of view.

Anyway we now have the right man now who is taking us forward

With games in hand that could put them solidly mid table.

p23 w10 L5 D8 in all competitions.

That form should see them stay safe

how can anyone say that clough hasnt made some very good signings

the team we are watching and getting exited about is clough s  team

the only player brought in is dawkins

with jacobs being sold all other players are loans paid for by john brayfords transfer money

maclaren doing a good job coaching hence title head coach 

sir jake buxton  -beckenbower bucko -legend

a guy with a big heart and a manager  who believed in him

just one of many players in this team that needed their careers lifted

a cheap bunch of players that is now a football team

if you cannot see what clough has done for this club

i feel sorry for you

and by the way sammon is a good player

his teamates say so  -the management say so and i say so 

and if you dont think so 

i feel sorry for you

how can anyone say that clough hasnt made some very good signings

the team we are watching and getting exited about is clough s  team

the only player brought in is dawkins

with jacobs being sold all other players are loans paid for by john brayfords transfer money

McClaren doing a good job coaching hence title head coach 

sir Jake Buxton  -beckenbower bucko -legend

a guy with a big heart and a manager  who believed in him

just one of many players in this team that needed their careers lifted

a cheap bunch of players that is now a football team

if you cannot see what clough has done for this club

i feel sorry for you

and by the way sammon is a good player

his teamates say so  -the management say so and i say so 

and if you dont think so 

i feel sorry for you

It maybe "his team" but he didn't have much of an idea how to play it properly and I doubt Bamford, Wisdom would be here under NC.

Nigel Clough did enough to have my respect amd thanks.

Was it a step up too far from a well run, well organised Burton to a ex-prem team in turmoil with players that didn't play and just disrupted the rest?  In free fall with a **** bag squad, how many managers could have done better with what he had and the remit, stay in the divison and get shot of the dross?

He has built a good base and hasn't bankrupted us.

Archived