Cloughs signings

PistoldPete2

He was always good at bringing in players that I will agree with, just think he hadn't got what it took to achieve the next step.

I went to one of them forums pre season and to be honest he didn't fill me with confidence about what he thought the season would entail. Didn't seem to be want to be there in the first place truth be told.

As some would love him, some would loathe him. If I may sit on the fence, he was great at getting players in on the cheap. And running on a very tight budget.

His obvious failings was his tactics and man management. Also don't think he has enough truck with premier league managers when trying to sign on loan up and coming talent.You wouldn't have seen Wisdom, Bamford here or a player of that quality while he was in charge.

I fell for the romance from the beginning, I fell out of it after Crawley in the cup when I seen Alberto Bueno sitting on the bench and Ben Pringle in the starting 11.

Not really fussed how he gets on with Sheffield United but me thinks it would be carnage on here if they do go down (only a point above relegation I think). :)

Wasn't the Man Utd youngster all but set to sign when Clough was here?

And surely the fact that Clough was able to sign Alberto Bueno is proof enough that he was able to sign good young talent.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And surely the fact that Clough was able to sign Alberto Bueno is proof enough that he was able to sign good young talent.

Bueno was pretty much bought in through Metgods contacts. Think there's a dusty old article in the telegraph about that.

Even then we never really used Bueno properly. That's one of my sticking points with tactics etc regarding Cloughy.

As for the Man Utd youngster I wouldn't know anything about that so I imagine you know more than me.

The reason I pointed that out he didn't seem to have much truck with Premier League managers is that we had a lot of loans from other Championship clubs. Granted he may of had hands tied at times I would concede that.

Clough overall was good in the transfer market and also did well at developing young players into better players.

McClaren inherited a squad that had a goof chance for 7th or 8th under Clough with an outside chance on playoffs. This is fair i believe. 

However with a change to the style of play and different tactics, Eric Steele making Grant a more commanding keeper and the loan signings from Premier League clubs, we have just stepped up another level. 

Nigel, great eye for a player, had a vision for the club as a whole, brought through talent and allowed it to flourish in the first team.

I think we could have sneaked the playoffs this season with him in charge.

As others have said McClaren has come in with a fresh pair of eyes and a top class coaching team, given the players a few tweaks here and there and made them believe anything was possible. His extended contacts and reputation in the game cannot have hurt our chances either.

All in all, it's still pretty much Clough's team but with a bit of McClaren's sparkle and belief. Huge credit to them both if we finish in the top 6.

According to Tom Glick, it was a very expensive deal with a loan fee that almost sucked up the entire fee we got for Hulse, that ensured the signing of Bueno. 

Sorry to be a negative one but on the flip-side (exception of Cardiff/Brayford saga): 

Ben Davies - now league one

Jacobs - league one

Freeman - league one

Ball - league one

Gjokaj - non league

Deeney - released

Conor Doyle - tinpot MLS team

Pringle - league one

D.Martin - non league (Dartford!?)

Adam Smith - B'mouth (S-Mac not a fan)

Fielding - league one (although ruined by Martin Taylor for me. No surprise Grant has stepped up under Eric Stainless)

Porter - League one

Sure there are prob others...

Sorry to be a negative one but on the flip-side (exception of Cardiff/Brayford saga): 

Ben Davies - now league one

Jacobs - league one

Freeman - league one

Ball - league one

Gjokaj - non league

Deeney - released

Conor Doyle - tinpot MLS team

Pringle - league one

D.Martin - non league (Dartford!?)

Adam Smith - B'mouth (S-Mac not a fan)

Fielding - league one (although ruined by Martin Taylor for me. No surprise Grant has stepped up under Eric Stainless)

Porter - League one

Sure there are prob others...

He didn't sign Ball

Well yeah fair enough on Callum - played him enough though. My point being - L1 players/signings when they arrived and that's where they are. Limited contacts/scouting network are thankfully a thing of the past.

He didn't sign Ball

Clough is a very good manager who did very well at Derby and is now proving that at Sheffield United. He's getting them somewhere near mid-table and who knows, they might even become the first Leauge One club since I don't know when to make the FA Cup semi finals. An incredible achievement.

Any success we have this season is owed in a massive way to Clough's years of hard service with Derby.

Some on here like to focus on Clough's failings or inadequacies. Yes, he has a few but I will always think of him as being a success at Derby for turning the club from a crumbling laughing stock with awful finances to a highly competitive young and hungry squad.

Now it's McClaren's turn. Over to you Steve and keep up your great work.

They are 18th 1 point above the bottom 4 so not quite mid table. He isn't a very good manager, he is an ok average manager. He never showed any more than that with is. He signed some good players, he signed some bad ones, he got us passing the ball, eventually but could never seem to organise the back 4 or get the team to play constantly. He did leave the squad in better shape than when he arrived but now it's someone else's turn who can take us forward

I think his worse signings were his backroom staff. If he'd backed himself up with some experience in his coaching staff he may well have been more successful.

Compare his rag, tag and bobtail bunch to our current coaching staff. Therein lay the problem IMHO.   

Yeah, he's been there for quite a while now

anyway back to our signings, Dawkins, Wisdom and Bamford all look liek good signings too, cant remember a year when so many new players hit it off.

They are 18th 1 point above the bottom 4 so not quite mid table. He isn't a very good manager, he is an ok average manager. He never showed any more than that with is. He signed some good players, he signed some bad ones, he got us passing the ball, eventually but could never seem to organise the back 4 or get the team to play constantly. He did leave the squad in better shape than when he arrived but now it's someone else's turn who can take us forward

But where were they when he took over? They are a lot closer to mid table now than when he took the job.

He made some good signings, some very poor - average.

Wins/draws/loss record under him - average to poor.

Management, tactics, motivation of players - average to poor.

He's gone, and it closes the chapter on a very poor period in our history.

...and he extended Savages contract which is unforgivable.

...and he extended Savages contract which is unforgivable.

Because it meant we got 2 years out of him for the price of 1 at a time when we needed experience & were pretty skint. I didn't particularly like the guy either but I think we'd have struggled even more without him at the time.

As a general point, considering the end of the market Nigel had to operate in, his signings were generally very good. Surprised people are questioning it. Seems some folk are determined not to give him any credit at all for the foundations he laid for this season's success.

Archived