Cloughs signings

PistoldPete2

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It maybe "his team" but he didn't have much of an idea how to play it properly and I doubt Bamford, Wisdom would be here under NC.

We had some excellent performances while clough was here at the start of the season the only losses were to top 6 teams. It isn't impossible he'd have put together the same run as Maclaren. But we will never know and can't say for certain

We had some excellent performances while clough was here at the start of the season the only losses were to top 6 teams. It isn't impossible he'd have put together the same run as McClaren. But we will never know and can't say for certain

Well from his 5 years here it would have been pretty improbable.

Not with thus squad for those 5 years. Better players this season. Too many variables to say it wouldn't have happened or he didn't know how to use the players he brought in.

You don't really believe that do you?

Sorry to be a negative one but on the flip-side (exception of Cardiff/Brayford saga): 

Ben Davies - now league one

Jacobs - league one

Freeman - league one

Ball - league one

Gjokaj - non league

Deeney - released

Conor Doyle - tinpot MLS team

Pringle - league one

D.Martin - non league (Dartford!?)

Adam Smith - B'mouth (S-Mac not a fan)

Fielding - league one (although ruined by Martin Taylor for me. No surprise Grant has stepped up under Eric Stainless)

Porter - League one

Sure there are prob others...

How many of these players are playing at a lower level than when Clough signed them?

I'm also not quite sure why people keep going on about Doyle being a bad signing. He was a youth player who came on trial. For nothing. On low wages. Like the majority of youth players he didn't make the transition at the level of the club he was with. However he played national age representative football for a world top 20 country and is still playing professional football.

The only really bad signings for me were Tyson, Maguire and Croft and to be honest most people thought they were good signings at the time..

No matter what happens and where we end up,but especialy if we go up.

At the end of the season i would like to see someone grab the microphone at the ipro or even wembley  and prefebly sam rush or Steve McClaren publicly thank Nigel for giving Steve one hell of a platform to apply a few little changes here and there as to me its a 60% Clough and 40% Mclaren joint effort this season.

To me its like Clough has made the apple pie but Steve has plonked the cream on due respect to them both.

And Steve would get alot of respect by saying this.

P.s I bet clough loved putting one over billy boy in cup and i for one loved that he did it.Good on you Nigel hope you win it and show sam rush a thing or two.

Im derby thru and thru but if sheff utd now drew derby in a cup match just this one time with nigel in charge i wouldnt mind them winning it,i still feel very sad about it all.

Yep.

Well thankfully he wasn't given the time to prove it; as imo I wouldn't be looking forward to tomorrows game as the season would have been over 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the foundations but the time was right for all parties to move on.

At the end of the season i would like to see someone grab the microphone at the ipro or even wembley and prefebly sam rush or Steve McClaren publicly thank Nigel for giving Steve one hell of a platform to apply a few little changes here and there as to me its a 60% Clough and 40% Mclaren joint effort this season.

To me its like Clough has made the apple pie but Steve has plonked the cream on due respect to them both.

P.s I bet clough loved putting one over billy boy in cup and i for one loved that he did it.Good on you Nigel hope you win it and show sam rush a thing or two.

Im derby thru and thru but if sheff utd now drew derby in a cup match just this one time with nigel in charge i wouldnt mind them winning it,i still feel very sad about it all.

Don't really understand the bad feelings towards Sam Rush. If anything, he has been as much of a positive influence on the club as McClaren has. All of the good publicity and positive atmosphere around the place, IMO, is down to Rush and the way he has managed to change the club from a mid table average championship club to a club with an ex England coach, the best gk coach in the country and a fantastic assistant in Paul Simpson.

I thank Clough for stabilising the club after probably the worst season in history, but he's gone now and the club is in a better place than when he left. His signings were a mixed bag tbh, some fantastic (Bryson, Buxton, Martin) some pretty poor. However, I think people are raving about certain players ATM because of the coaching that has improved them over the past 4 months.

Don't really understand the bad feelings towards Sam Rush. If anything, he has been as much of a positive influence on the club as McClaren has. All of the good publicity and positive atmosphere around the place, IMO, is down to Rush and the way he has managed to change the club from a mid table average championship club to a club with an ex England coach, the best gk coach in the country and a fantastic assistant in Paul Simpson.

I thank Clough for stabilising the club after probably the worst season in history, but he's gone now and the club is in a better place than when he left. His signings were a mixed bag tbh, some fantastic (Bryson, Buxton, Martin) some pretty poor. However, I think people are raving about certain players ATM because of the coaching that has improved them over the past 4 months.

You mean that coaching that has had 2 players state "NOTHING has changed "

And the bad feeling towards rush for me will always be there as wether your clough in or out,it never should have happened after forest match and that was sam.

Just ask yourselfs one thing if Steve had come in and it all gone pear shaped which could have EASILY happened i think there would have been a few on here looking enviously at sheff utd now.And plaease dont quote oh yeah 1 point clear of relegation as clough is stabalising them and doing very well in a certain cup with is oh so negative tactics cough cough.

How many of these players are playing at a lower level than when Clough signed them?

I'm also not quite sure why people keep going on about Doyle being a bad signing. He was a youth player who came on trial. For nothing. On low wages. Like the majority of youth players he didn't make the transition at the level of the club he was with. However he played national age representative football for a world top 20 country and is still playing professional football.

The only really bad signings for me were Tyson, Maguire and Croft and to be honest most people thought they were good signings at the time..

I'm afraid that we both know the answer to that conundrum really.

"http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy101/luckyeddie_photo/hatersgonnahate_05d460_3317189_zps049f6d81" alt="hatersgonnahate_05d460_3317189_zps049f6d">

At the end of the season i would like to see someone grab the microphone at the ipro or even wembley  and prefebly sam rush or Steve McClaren publicly thank Nigel for giving Steve one hell of a platform to apply a few little changes here and there as to me its a 60% Clough and 40% Mclaren joint effort this season.

Completely disagree - others have made significant contributions:

Steele 10%

Simmo 30%

Clough's old back room staff -40%

Imagine all of them would say the tactics have though :)

And thats why i said steve has added the cream !!.

I ackowledge McClaren has contributed to very well built foundations,i like to think neither manager would have done it without the other one.

Maybe a McClaren Clough partnership one day lol.

Lets not rewritte history here! Overall Clough's sigining were poor.

For every chris martin there was a chris porter or a chris Maguire or nathan tyson or a theo robinson or a conor sammon etc etc etc

His signings - Grant, Forsyth, Keogh, Buxton, Ward, Bryson, Eustace, Martin, Sammon  - are an integral part of today's squad, [barker and Shackell were good too].and were among his best and most expensive signings [and yet not that expensive really]. History suggests to me that they were splendid signings and that they have been a very important part of our success.

If they are poor, how come we're 3rd?

Whilst most of the integral players may be Clough signings. The performances from them are far above what Clough was getting.

I am all for praising the work Clough did, but I really do feel McClaren is not getting the praise he should. It would have been easy to come in and shake things up, but right from the start he had the players on his side. He is positive yet still is able to tell it like it is.

I believed for a long while that the players were capable of more and the current management team have shown that. I think some of you need to actually look at our record since McClaren took over, it is fantastic. Simpson and Steele deserve huge praise too, Steele especially for making Grant a commanding keeper.

We are 3rd in the fecking table, with a realistic chance of taking 2nd spot and people still want to cling onto what Clough may have done. Of course he will be acknowledged for whatever happens this season, he was in charge for part of it and 4 years previous...

Back to the beer.

Archived