Cloughs signings

PistoldPete2

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clough got some good players in, no doubt about that.

Unfortuantely he was tactically inept, not helped by his loyalty to his amatuer backroom staff.

His man management skills wasn't great either.

And the one thing that really got my goat, was when we went 1 down he'd go and sulk in his chair for ages.

It's not enough just to have good players, you need someone who can motivate and coach them.

Steve has proved this.

FA CUP 5th Round 16th Feb   Sheff Utd 3 v 1 Nottingham Forest

Rams Talk 20th Feb   Logic 0 v 217 Load of ******

No matter what happens and where we end up,but especialy if we go up.

At the end of the season i would like to see someone grab the microphone at the ipro or even wembley  and prefebly sam rush or Steve McClaren publicly thank Nigel for giving Steve one hell of a platform to apply a few little changes here and there as to me its a 60% Clough and 40% Mclaren joint effort this season.

To me its like Clough has made the apple pie but Steve has plonked the cream on due respect to them both.

And Steve would get alot of respect by saying this.

P.s I bet clough loved putting one over billy boy in cup and i for one loved that he did it.Good on you Nigel hope you win it and show sam rush a thing or two.

Im derby thru and thru but if sheff utd now drew derby in a cup match just this one time with nigel in charge i wouldnt mind them winning it,i still feel very sad about it all.

Sorry NottsRammy, Clough has had more than enough compliments from McClaren and Rush already. Some would argue he wouldn't/shouldn't have been afforded what he has. 

Not sure I've heard Clough thank previous Sheff United managers for their contribution when HE beat Forest in the cup!

Clough didn't make the apple pie at all, he went to ASDA and bought the ingredients, and then struggled to create a recipe.

If we get promotion, I have to say Clough gets no credit for it whatsoever because he didn't mastermind the most important bit of it, the bit that happens on the pitch. You won't hear Dyche thank his predecessor!

I think Clough deserves some credit if we got promoted.

The team he left was good it could have finished around 8th.

Steve McClaren has done a much better job in terms of tactics and made some excellent signings.

I don't really think there is an argument to be had.

Why does he?

When you eat an amazing meal, do you credit the chef? or do you credit the person who went to buy the ingredients?

Why does he?

When you eat an amazing meal, do you credit the chef? or do you credit the person who went to buy the ingredients?

Both!

If we are going by this metaphor then:

sourcing high quality produce is vital for a chef, if the chef doesn't had the correct ingredients the meal can't be amazing. Give Jamie Oliver a Big Mac and he would struggle to make an amazing meal give him the expensive isles of food at Waitrose to choose from and the meal should be amazing.

Sourcing good player cannot be overlooked. If McClaren had inherited the Doncaster squad left by Paul Dickov would he have got them to 3rd in the league, personally I think not.

Both!

If we are going by this metaphor then:

sourcing high quality produce is vital for a chef, if the chef doesn't had the correct ingredients the meal can't be amazing. Give Jamie Oliver a Big Mac and he would struggle to make an amazing meal give him the expensive isles of food at Waitrose to choose from and the meal should be amazing.

Sourcing good player cannot be overlooked. If McClaren had inherited the Doncaster squad left by Paul Dickov would he have got them to 3rd in the league, personally I think not.

But Clough's job was not 'scout'.

But Clough's job was not 'scout'.

No it wasn't but it's still a managers job to find players and buy them.

If what you say is true Nigel should take no credit for signing Russell Martin Bryson Keogh Grant and Buxton. Which if that's how you feel ok.

But you must then equally give no credit to Steve McClaren for signing Dawkins Wisdom Bamford?

I think a lot of fans not just derby, football in general would disagree with that.

I think it is the managers derogative to find and sign players. Managers should too be judged on who they buy and for how much.

Nigel Clough deserves credit

Equally

Steve McClaren deserves credit, albeit McClaren more credit in the eyes of most as he has took the team to 3rd in the league. This is justified.

No it wasn't but it's still a managers job to find players and buy them.

If what you say is true Nigel should take no credit for signing Russell Martin Bryson Keogh Grant and Buxton. Which if that's how you feel ok.

But you must then equally give no credit to Steve McClaren for signing Dawkins Wisdom Bamford?

I think a lot of fans not just derby, football in general would disagree with that.

I think it is the managers derogative to find and sign players. Managers should too be judged on who they buy and for how much.

Nigel Clough deserves credit

Equally

Steve McClaren deserves credit, albeit McClaren more credit in the eyes of most as he has took the team to 3rd in the league. This is justified.

So hypothetically, had we got promotion in 2009, with the likes of Commons, Green, Bywater, Hulse, Pearson, Teale, Leacock, McEveley and co, you've have given Jewell and Davies 60% of the credit and Clough 40%?? I wouldn't, because my argument then would have been that the previous managers FAILED to do it with those players.

Clough deserves credit for signing good players and coaching them to tenth in the league, and at no point threatening the top six. I'll pat him on the back for that.

Taking a 10th in the table side, and MASSIVELY improving them, and making them a force for automatic promotion, getting people back in the iPro, and making disillusioned fans feel happy again, that credit goes solely to Macca, Simmo and Steele.

So hypothetically, had we got promotion in 2009, with the likes of Commons, Green, Bywater, Hulse, Pearson, Teale, Leacock, McEveley and co, you've have given Jewell and Davies 60% of the credit and Clough 40%?? I wouldn't, because my argument then would have been that the previous managers FAILED to do it with those players.

I think that example is exactly the same as the current one.

I would stand by what I said, hypothetically in that situation I would have said Jewell left Nigel with some good players (even though in reality he left him with overpaid rubbish) but Nigel should take most of the credit.

The current situation is the same Nigel should take some credit but McClaren should take neary all the credit as he has done the hardest part.

Also I never said how much I credit I would give, where did you get 60% for Jewell and Davies from.

If it was to put a percentage on it I would actually give much more percentage to McClaren.

I'm not trying to say Clough was the mastermind or anything like that. Simply he does deserve a little bit of credit not 0% as you said.

If Man City/Chelsea win the league will you hear Pellegrini credit Mancini or Jose credit AVB, di Matteo and Bentiez for signing several key players or finding roles for players. No way at all.

Time for people to move on, OK this season his ten games will impact on our points total or potentially league placement but over time people should stop creating this threads as I don't think Burnley fans will be talking about Howe etc.

NC has received praise  from Rush and Steve and I think there is no need for anymore as I found it bit grating. NC knows how football works and he's soon found a new job and all parties have moved on so why can't we, DCFC have improved considerably and some people are still stuck in the past, sad.

No matter what happens and where we end up,but especialy if we go up.

At the end of the season i would like to see someone grab the microphone at the ipro or even wembley  and prefebly sam rush or Steve McClaren publicly thank Nigel for giving Steve one hell of a platform to apply a few little changes here and there as to me its a 60% Clough and 40% Mclaren joint effort this season.

To me its like Clough has made the apple pie but Steve has plonked the cream on due respect to them both.

And Steve would get alot of respect by saying this.

P.s I bet clough loved putting one over billy boy in cup and i for one loved that he did it.Good on you Nigel hope you win it and show sam rush a thing or two.

Im derby thru and thru but if sheff utd now drew derby in a cup match just this one time with nigel in charge i wouldnt mind them winning it,i still feel very sad about it all.

wtf

Nigel made a very nice stew with locally sourced ingredients.

Schteve added the chillies

Nigel made a bowl of cold porridge, Steve McC turned it into a full English with black pudding and a hot mug of tea.

Erm, can we stop now I'm getting hungry.

Nigel made a non league team full of hoofers that was mediocre at best where tickets to watch them were free. Steve McClaren turned it into a lucky team that bully minnows and can't beat a top team unless they get favourable weather conditions.

Archived