Scottish Independence (footy related)

Gaspode

caught the end of an interview with someone (think he was a sports lawyer) on Sky yesterday who was outlining the possible repercussions of a Scottish 'yes' for independence - basically saying it would invalidate all the current agreements with regard to 'home grown' players; that Scottish players in England (or Europe) would need to be considered as 'foriegners' and would need work permits; and that the Bosman ruling would no longer apply to Scottish players - it has the potential to cause chaos unless some workable new agreements can be put in place (which, to be fair, he did suggest might be possible), but if the EU dig their heals in (as Barossa was indicating) and won't let an independnet Scotland into the EU (at least for a few years), then they could be completely stuffed......and would they be allowed to remain part of UEFA in that case? - could mean no Champions League as well....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think every organisation with any political influence is trying to convince Scotland to vote No.

Either because

1) Scotland would **** it up alone and bring everyone else down picking up the pieces

2) they're scared of losing North Sea gas and oil

Or

3) setting up a -we will help you but you need to give us some of your Oil wonga

No doubt Salmond will simply dismiss it as scare-mongering. Pretty much what he's doing with everything else he doesn't want to hear.

The head of the EU says that Scotland wouldn't inherit EU membership - Salmond says he's wrong.

The Bank of England and all three political parties say that Scotland wouldn't be able to keep Sterling - Salmond says they're wrong.

Salmond - another Jock troll with a massive chip on his shoulder who's never fooking wrong.

Salmond's trying to pull the same trick that Ted Heath pulled many years ago about joining the Common Market - don't worry it's just a trading block. It doesn't really mean anything much

Roll forward many years and we have rules, regulation, laws, offices of state, currency, treasury, parliament, civil service and all the other elements of a single state.

Salmond's problem is that we now know all that, so all the many organisations that make up our daily lives are identifying the issues that will have to be addressed should Scottish independence be gained.   

the government should have a made it a condition of the referendum that if Salmond and Sturgeon lose the vote, they both promise to bugger off and live on some far flung scottish island - I'm sick of seeing them moaning on about how unfair and nasty everyone is being to them. They naively seem to think that they can cherry-pick all the good bits of the union if they get their 'divorce' and that the rest of the UK will just sit back and let them - muppets......

Hope they vote yes then I hope I won't have to put up with the results from their amateur leagues.  I also don't want to see the goal highlights from some crappy Glasgow side who are apparently playing in the blind league but are fully sighted (doesn't seem fair to me)

Emotionaly I hope they stay . for fiscal and commercial reasons I hope they piss off and we rebuild Hadrians wall pronto.

Even if they do gain 'independence', the English will still support them financially. Why? Because we're stupid and that's the kind of thing we do. Ask India, Pakistan et al.

That Barossa guy dunna want to set a precedence. He's worried about the Basques doing the same.

End of the day its a bit of an end game for Salmond. Win the vote and he's got to deal with all these issues, (in reality, not a great deal would change, he'd have to do deals with every bugger to stay in europe and the pound), lose the vote and he's finished. Where do you go with a Nationalist Party if the voters don't want it?

That Barossa guy dunna want to set a precedence. He's worried about the Basques doing the same.

End of the day its a bit of an end game for Salmond. Win the vote and he's got to deal with all these issues, (in reality, not a great deal would change, he'd have to do deals with every bugger to stay in europe and the pound), lose the vote and he's finished. Where do you go with a Nationalist Party if the voters don't want it?

'Devolution Max'.  ie. all the power of an independent nation without the expense of stuff like defence, embassies, foreign aid and the like. Best of all, the English get to carry on paying for everything.  In other words, just what Salmond and his cronies wanted all along.

That should happen the day after they vote to stay.

Englands vote for independence would have a few sh!tting themselves.

Get rid of Scotland, Wales, I'm looking at you Yorkshire, Nothinghamshire….

Where's our vote to fook them off?

Exactly. There could be major financial ramifications for the rest of Britain, we we don't get a say.

Imagine it, "We've voted for independence and your going to inherit our massive share of the National debt, yer fkn sassenachs."

Exactly. There could be major financial ramifications for the rest of Britain, we we don't get a say.

Imagine it, "We've voted for independence and your going to inherit our massive share of the National debt, yer fkn sassenachs."

Luckily that's not how it will work. Westminster decides what assets and liabilities go with them. You can guess how happy Salmond is about that! Lol

Archived