Realistic speculation of final league standings

RampantRam

It looks like you will need around 73 points for 6th place.

This is 18 points from 16 games. That is worse form than NC got sacked for. 5 wins, 3 draws and 8 losses should get us there.

It looks like around 90 will get you 2nd place.

This is 35 points from 16 games. We have taken 33 points from the last 15 games. 11 wins, 2 draws and 3 losses required.

It looks like we are 80% sure if the play offs. Where you finish between 3rd and 6th is irrelevant.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the evidence of Monday night, and as a fan of the game, I'd be gutted if we finished below QPR.

I think Burnley look in really good shape. I know it's February and there's still a fair way to go but it would take an unlikely win for us at Turf Moor to convince me they won't go up automatically.

As for us and Forest, I think we're both better than QPR and I hope we finish above them. I have no idea what to think about Forest until they come to the iPride - that's going to be a season-defining match for both sides.

On the evidence of Monday night, and as a fan of the game, I'd be gutted if we finished below QPR.

I think Burnley look in really good shape. I know it's February and there's still a fair way to go but it would take an unlikely win for us at Turf Moor to convince me they won't go up automatically.

As for us and Forest, I think we're both better than QPR and I hope we finish above them. I have no idea what to think about Forest until they come to the iPride - that's going to be a season-defining match for both sides.

I've not been too impressed with Forest when I've seen them this season.

Home game against Ipswich had me wanting to tear my eyes out, however, their game against Watford at home - they showed good attacking qualities, but naive defensive ones.

They do concede a lot of shots, and chances.. more than us anyway, so I would be confident about scoring a couple but Reid is a huge, huge threat. 

It will be a season-defining match, the smart money would go on us (I think) our defenders are amongst the best in the division at winning headers, a lot of Forest's attacks involve that style of play and long-range efforts. 

Paterson could cause us problems, he's another one to look out for. I'll stick with my original guess, but QPR signing Morrison will make a huge difference. 

I've not been too impressed with Forest when I've seen them this season.

Home game against Ipswich had me wanting to tear my eyes out, however, their game against Watford at home - they showed good attacking qualities, but naive defensive ones.

They do concede a lot of shots, and chances.. more than us anyway, so I would be confident about scoring a couple but Reid is a huge, huge threat. 

It will be a season-defining match, the smart money would go on us (I think) our defenders are amongst the best in the division at winning headers, a lot of Forest's attacks involve that style of play and long-range efforts. 

Paterson could cause us problems, he's another one to look out for. I'll stick with my original guess, but QPR signing Morrison will make a huge difference. 

Yeah, Forest have never really impressed me when I've seen them, but to be fair, if you've only gone on our last three television appearances you wouldn't think much to our passing game. Regardless of performance Forest are very good at not losing at the moment.

Tactics and form go out of the window in a Derby match, and especially when we play Forest. Home advantage counts for a lot in the fixture because those sort of games are won and lost on individual battles rather than the tactics set by the manager which players will largely ignore or forget in the heat of the moment.

I suspect we'll be dragged down to their level again like we were against QPR. These games are impossible to predict but it wouldn't surprise me to see a game like Monday, which I was massively encouraged by. Just hope Martin and Ward are fit and ready to wind up the opposition.

And Bamford. We want Bamford fit. A forest player will drop an absolute clanger on him early on and then it could get spicey...but our players seem really savvy in those sort of games and get the opposition wound up. 

Cannot wait for it!

Rather sadly I have tried to predict the results of the top six's remaining fixtures. As a result the table would finish 

1. Leicester 100 points

2. Burnley 91 points

3. QPR 89 points

4. Derby 87 points

5. Forest 83 points

6. Reading 74 points

We'd be promoted on that, easily. I would imagine anyway.

No 88 points will quite possibly not be enough when Fester are on target for 100 and both QPR and Burnley on target for more.

Based on current form and form for the season as a whole, I would also predict about 88 points. My worry would be that due to a thin squad, injuries , suspensions and generally being jaded our form dips and we get a lot less than 88 points. Burnley may have the same problem. Should still have enough for the play offs but its not quite a done deal yet. 

I think Burnley have only won 6 of the last 17?

Don't know why people fancy them. They'll plod along with draws and the odd win but they won't do enough to get automatic imo.

Derby v QPR v Forest for second.

Derby will win and lose more than the other two I think

The form table suggests that Forest, Leicester, Burnley, Wigan and QPR have better recent form than Derby taking everything into account. 

Who am I to argue with history. One team always drops out and one team always enters the fray. 

On paper, Derby have the weakest squad so henceforth, I believe it will be Derby that slide backwards in the coming months.

The eternal pessimist I may be but I remain unconvinced from what I have seen of our credentials to be a top championship side.

I'm pretty sure when we made the playoffs under George Burnley the top 6 (Sunderland, Wigan, Ipswich, Derby, Preston, WHU) were the top 6 since February onwards.

And under BD that season there weren't any particular surprises. I woudln't say that history always says one gets in and one drops out. But then again we've still got 16 games to go so I still think this talk is abit premature. Maybe with 8 games to go we can get a real sense.

OK I'm firing up my predictions.

Leicester - 94 points

QPR - 85 points

Forest - 81 points

Derby - 80 points

Burnley - 80 points

Reading - 74 points 

Wigan, Brighton, Ipswich to come close behind.

You know what the Championship is like near the end of the season. Midtable teams with nothing to play for start improving drastically, bottom teams scrapping, top teams blowing it.

I seriously doubt that the top five's current form will continue, we'll all start tripping up somewhere along the line.

I reckon Derby with two games remaining will have nothing to play for.

Archived