Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

sage

Wednesday are an ugly, ugly side full of big guys who's instruction was simply to get in amongst Derby physically. It did knock us off our game but I thought we handled it really well apart from Bamford who was playing like a boy in a mans game. I am certain that they didn't water the pitch to stop our passing game; the ball was not rolling well at all. Derby stood up to it and on occasions dished out some themselves. Grant should be sharing his win bonuses with Eric Steele, he has transformed his game since they got together.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on last night's game, well the bits that I could see without a post in the way (how do they justify charging £27 for a pre-historic ground with the worst view available?)

Grant 9 - Did absolutely everything asked of him. Becoming more and more commanding in his area and it looks like the appointment

of Eric Steele was an absolute master stroke. Would have been a perfect 10 were it not for 2 wayward kicks in the first half.

Wisdom 5 - First time I have seen a team target him but they certainly had the player to do so last night. Antonio tore Wisdom a new one first half. Improved second half but is still way too casual at times and he often holds up our attacking play. Probably a bit harsh as Bamford offers very little help defensively. Good supporting play for the goal.

Buxton 9 - Never ceases to amaze how much this guy has improved. Very rarely loses a ball in the air and his distribution on the whole is very good. One clumsy challenge lost him a point but he regained that with his antics after the final whistle. It is refreshing to see a player so passionate and who is clearly making the most of the position he is in.

Keogh 8 - Has upped his game massively. Like Buxton, I thought he coped with a lot of high balls. Just the one lapse in concentration where he inexplicably blasted a free kick straight at their striker.

Forsyth 7 - Defensively this guy goes from strength to strength. Didn't offer much going forward first half but seemed to offer more when Russell came on.

Bamford 10 - Would have been a 1 were it not for the goal. To have the audacity to shoot from there after playing so poorly throughout and when he was starting to have the crowd on his back shows how confident in his own ability this young guy is. His goals have been crucial since joining and Martin Allen may be right that this guy could turn out to be the signing of the January transfer window.

Eustace 5 - Won a few headers but did pretty much nothing else. Game bypassed him mainly due to Sheff Weds direct style.

Hughes 6 - On the whole was bullied. A few nice jinking runs but without end product. His passing let him down again on a few occasions but can probably put that down to the state of the pitch.

Bryson 5 - Another player who the game pretty much bypassed. Again a few wayward passes. His energy levels never seem to drop even when injured!

Ward 6 - Didn't have that much supply. Took on his man a few times which is want we all want to see him doing again on a regular basis. Tracked back well on a few occasions.

Martin 6 - A few nice touches here and there. Put himself about as ususal. Still spends too much time on the floor!

Subs:

Russell 7 - His speed and energy levels really impress me. Looked to take his man on but wasted a couple of good positions. Helped out defensively on a few occasions.

Hendrick 7 - Got stuck in more than any other midfielder, a few good driving runs forward.

Sammon 7 - Did what he does best, came on chased everything down and worried their defenders, was a good outlet.

Management team 10 - when everyone else wanted Bamford off, they saw the bigger picture and realised that Eustace was not required and the game was there to be won. They have the Midas touch at the moment and glad to see they are making the most of it.

Fans 8 - Supported well for the large majority of the game. A few disgruntled groans at Bamford. Not sure why The Barmy Army sang all the way through half time and the seemed to stop within 2 minutes of the second half kicking off?

Officials 5 - Pretty poor I thought, never really let the game flow and were very inconsistent with their decisions.

So did we all enjoy a blast of Gentle Tuesday by Primal Scream last night after we'd beaten Wednesday on a Gentle Tuesday? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthGY85pgak

1987 Nice shirt Bobby. I wonder if the Rams will go for that look when we replace the Jockey looking Thunderbird strip?

Anyway as the Rams are Movin' On Up, I suppose we can all have a blast of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbtUmOOi48

Crikey look at the nick of the Top of The Pops presenters back in 1991, they look like a right couple of gumps!

Kind of sums up the confidence the team has at the moment - for the centre half to try something like that on the half way line when we're winning 1-0 away from home... I could imagine Clough refusing to play someone again if they tried that, even if it worked

Here's another early Primal Scream classic. 

Primal Scream – Star Fruit Surf Rider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HG4FozGLwo&list=RD6HG4FozGLwo

Primal Scream – Star Fruit Surf Rider Lyrics

http://www.sweetslyrics.com/139876.PRIMAL%20SCREAM%20-%20Star%20Fruit%20Surf%20Rider.html

Steve's taking us away, we’re gonna go forever
Bucko’s pitch, his honey hips, zidane flicks of pleasure
The only ram who can, he does just what he wants
And Stevie loves love, love, love love love

C'mon sing up!.......Up The Rams

Kind of sums up the confidence the team has at the moment - for the centre half to try something like that on the half way line when we're winning 1-0 away from home... I could imagine Clough refusing to play someone again if they tried that, even if it worked

I can't.

Interesting input there, was of great use. I don't really care if you can or can't

OK. to be clearer. I don't think Clough would have dropped Buxton if he had done what he did last night.

He might have pondered how he managed to sign such a great player for so little money. He might have had a chuckle at how much the player has improved since he [Clough] signed him.

You think he would have dropped him for, successfully, trying a very clever piece of football trickery. I don't. I can't see why he would have. i suppose that must be the difference between you and me. I'm sure we are both very pleased that we don't see things the same way.

OK. to be clearer. I don't think Clough would have dropped Buxton if he had done what he did last night.

He might have pondered how he managed to sign such a great player for so little money. He might have had a chuckle at how much the player has improved since he [Clough] signed him.

You think he would have dropped him for, successfully, trying a very clever piece of football trickery. I don't. I can't see why he would have. i suppose that must be the difference between you and me. I'm sure we are both very pleased that we don't see things the same way.

Wait, are you still commenting? Zzz

Archived