Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

sage

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to get a heap of abuse, but hey ho, I like Joey Barton's commitment and aggression and if we had some of it in our midfield it wouldn't be a bad thing. Steve Mac keeps talking about getting the balance right, and I know he's not singing Depeche Mode here, he's talking about how we play and how we keep the ball and ask the right questions at the right time. And if a lot of us on on here want to show our true colours, then at times, some us will hold our hands up and say we would like some of that aggression, passion and fight in our midfield. Anyway if you can take away the hatred and view the footballer and his fight for winning, then I can only see a footballer that's miffed that the team he plays for lost. Regarding our performance we took a leaf out of Joey's book and the management team knew how to work QPR and limit them and let's remember who was praising the coach Steve Mac when he left QPR. Joey Barton. He likes the Smiths, so come on don't hate him, just sing at him........"Panic on the streets of London......."

I thought the ref was definitely more in favour towards them, especially late on.

Haven't seen the goal back, people on talkSPORT said it was definitely a goal, but perhaps not the corner to set the goal up.

Gumps and QPR fans seem convinced it was a foul, but what do we expect?

and the last bit from me tonight, did anyone notice how ridiculously poor Carroll was?? stunningly terrible.

I thought the ref was definitely more in favour towards them, especially late on.

Haven't seen the goal back, people on talkSPORT said it was definitely a goal, but perhaps not the corner to set the goal up.

and the last bit from me tonight, did anyone notice how ridiculously poor Carroll was?? stunningly terrible.

Just looking for excuses. Martin jumps with O'Neil, both are only looking at the ball, just Martin is stronger. The challenge that led to the corner, a generous ref would have given a foul.

Agreed. Barton, in particular, should have been booked way before he actually was. He was needlessly getting involved and arguing with the ref at every opportunity.

He should have been booked for the foul on bamford after the whistle had already gone.

Then his booking would have been a second yellow.

Seriously......how did that ever play for England?

Grant - commanded his box, punched and caught well, and pulled off a goods ave when required. A great evening's work.

Forsyth - unrecognisable from the player we saw a few months ago, he looks a proper defender now

Bucko - great beard, great performance head, kick, head, kick....

Keogh - same, won some brilliant headers especially towards the end

Wisdom - cool and classy, never hurried amid the chaos

Ward - did well tonight, made things happen and looked on better form than of late

Bryson - as usual all over the pitch could have been played in one on one several times, some excellent defensive work too

Hughes - like Ward, seems to be coming out of a bad spell, used the ball well, some good corners. Hilarious when he outmuscled Barton.

Eustace - did what he does, then did what he doesn't: score a goal

Bamford - spurned a glorious early chance and found it tough going against the hair hair bunch, who to be hair, sorry fair, had him in his pocket most of the match. He still tried to make things happen when he had the ball.

Martin - great physical battle with their centre halves, and invaluable defending from corners

Subs

Russell - lots of energy but careless on the ball when we needed to retain it better

Sammon - left wing? Ok, whatever. Did what he was there to do, so fair play.

Hendrick - played his part as we saw the game out

QPR: apparently no coherent game plan, some talented individuals but it seemed every man for himself. Resorted to long balls, much to Bucko and Keogh's delight, and spent too much time whingeing at the referee. Didn't seem to have done their homework on us. Wasn't impressed and they're doing Redknapp's reputation little good with this kind of performance.

Refused to be intimidated. For the first time this season, the Derby boys stood up as real men. Great spirit. Not the prettiest performance, but everyone worked their socks off and showed steel and desire.

Love how 'Arry's solution is to bring in another player since, after a couple of injuries, he might have fewer than three figures to choose from. That's not a recipe for team spirit. What McClaren has done exceptionally well is that he seems to have maintained the spirit that Clough was building, while bringing in quality additions. Terrific acquisitions and man-management.

The season will have twists and turns in the 16 games to go, but we are still on an upward curve and getting ever closer. And, after the effort we put in, I'm quite pleased we're not playing till Tuesday!

Love that QPR forum. It's February and half of them were going on about them just waiting for the team to "click".

At what point in the season do you realise your team isn't going to click because your manager's ****?

No excuse for the football QPR played tonight - they have the quality to play football like we do.

And the best part? Even though they decided to go ugly....we completely out-did them on that job tonight. It wasn't pretty, but it was gritty. They wanted it ugly so we gave it to them, and did it better.

QPR's tactics were just bizarre. I know we have a young side but they were so ridiculously immature. The intention was to wind up the referee and our players, when all they did was wind up themselves. Joey Barton has all that talent - surely it's better used by trying to concentrate on actually playing football for 90 minutes?

Stunned at how little they produced, and impressed with how little we let them produce. We were so much better in the final third.

Manager's reputations - they're entirely built by the media. 5 years ago, Redknapp was very much in vogue and Steve Mac was a laughing stock. Tonight, one did the other over with far smaller resources at his disposal, and it shows how superficial it all is.

Stop buying newspapers everyone. They talk drivel.

Terrible game, both sides looked like relegation battlers based on that. Wouldnt say we 'deserved' to win, but neither did they, point probably would have been fair.

Saying that, who gives a f*ck, huge win, lost tonight and it was time to settle for play offs. Automatic dream still alive. 

Top win. Full credit to all the lads, each one put in a shift and refused to lay down amid some pretty dirty tactics from QPR.

Thought the back five were magnificent, their critics can't have much to say about that performance. They had pressure but we didn't really look like conceding to be honest.

Someone said Hughes was shocking, can't understand that, the game didn't really suit him but we saw a different side to him tonight, he can mix it and work hard. Don't know what people expect from him to be honest, he's not going to win the game single handed every week, cut him some slack! I thought he did okay, solid 7 for me.

Martin was an absolute mountain up front too, worked really hard and challenged for absolutely everything.

Only slight down side for me was Bamford, not the right game for him in my opinion, shame Dawkins was injured. The kid has bags of talent but he was a tad guilty of losing the ball and not working to get it back. In fairness though he was up against possibly the best left back in the league (sorry Craig), so maybe it was just a bit of an off night for him.

Speaking of Forsyth, wow, best left back we've had for some time. He needed to learn the position a bit better and gain some confidence but there's no stopping him now.

All in all, we won because we worked hard as a team and we wanted it more.

It's a great 3 points, let's make it count with 6 points from the next 2 games and go second with a win at Burnley!

Pressure is on those two sides now...

Archived