Set pieces

jimbobram

I brought this up in the chelsea thread but i think it needs its own topic because it is an issue (not defensively this time). 

How many times this season are we seeing good attacking opportunities such as direct free kicks and corners go to waste unnecessarily. From corners, we hardly ever seem to beat the first man and that leads to teams breaking on us, and free kicks which don't even hit the target. I don't want to have a go at Jamie Ward because clearly, he isn't inform at the moment, but corners should be a simple exercise to perform. We have big players in our team now, aim for them, and if you can't kick the ball that far, why isn't someone else taking them. I'd like to see Hughsey take some free kicks as well as Bryson to change it up abit.

Anyway, not trying to create a negative thread because i thought we held our own against Chelsea today and we are having an amazing run, just an observation on how we could improve further.

#COYR 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really need to try and get a bit of whip on corners, had enough of this 'float it in' malarkey, it gives the opposition too much time to read the flight of the ball and get in a good enough position to head it away.

Whip them in, put some power on them!

Would like to see Forsyth take a few, he's pretty decent at crossing.

This is and has been discussed elsewhere,but if The Mac reads this forum, the Mac, pleeeeaaase bring in someone who cant take set pieces ! Cos we have no-one, look at the delivery today, ok he cost millions, but..... so whether (as i said elsewhere) you drop/sell/ or just replace Ward find someone else to take deadballs !!

Forsyth should be given an opportunity and I am not sure why he hasn't been unless the coaches don't want the left back taking the set pieces.

Ward shouldn't be on the pitch but if he is, should be nowhere near them.

Hendrick should be in the middle to win a header, not on the edge of the box.

Hughes doesn't hae the bottle yet to take set pieces. He was scared sh1tless having to take some of the set pieces today and didn't anyone notice near the end when he floated a ball across from one instead of swinging it in - that showed a lack of confidence in his own ability.

Forsyth should be given an opportunity and I am not sure why he hasn't been unless the coaches don't want the left back taking the set pieces.

Ward shouldn't be on the pitch but if he is, should be nowhere near them.

Hendrick should be in the middle to win a header, not on the edge of the box.

Hughes doesn't hae the bottle yet to take set pieces. He was scared sh1tless having to take some of the set pieces today and didn't anyone notice near the end when he floated a ball across from one instead of swinging it in - that showed a lack of confidence in his own ability.

Forsyth puts in brilliant balls along the ground. Not so sure about him taking set pieces.

I think that the team is progressing past Ward, not massively but enough to make a difference.

Hendrick is much much better with his feet than with his head and I think it is right that he should be on the edge of the box.

Regarding your last point re:Hughes. As much as I would like to agree with you, I couldn't bring myself to be associated with such a daft statement. Having said that, it is late so after a good nights sleep you will probably think differently tomorrow. :) 

Bcn

Forsyth puts in brilliant balls along the ground. Not so sure about him taking set pieces.

I think that the team is progressing past Ward, not massively but enough to make a difference.

Hendrick is much much better with his feet than with his head and I think it is right that he should be on the edge of the box.

Regarding your last point re:Hughes. As much as I would like to agree with you, I couldn't bring myself to be associated with such a daft statement. Having said that, it is late so after a good nights sleep you will probably think differently tomorrow. :)

I think Forsyth is the only player who whips them in, on the ground or in the air. My only criticism would be they at too close to the goalkeeper a times but he varies it on where he delivers from.

Hendrick - I take your point here but I would say size can have an impact. With Hughes, Dawkins (who believes he can shoot from distance), Ward and Bryson who would all stand back, he should be in there. Also, he defends set pieces by marking a player so why is he deemed good enough one end but not the other.

Hughes - I won't take the comment back. If I was him (and I appreciate his age), I would want to take charge and take responsibility. He should see the minute Ward goes off and be the first to run over to take a corner. I think he has the ability to be a good set piece taker, but he currently lacks of the confidence to do so.

Has anyone read "The Numbers Game?" Some interesting stats there from PL 2010/11.

Corners given 1134. 20 % leads to shot and 1 out of 9 of those leads to goal. So only about 2 % of corners leads to goal!

No wonder same teams (Barca, Real Madrid etc.) rather just keeps possession.

Archived