January Transfer Suggestions and Bollox Rumours

SalfordRam

Why is he always used as a sub by managers, there must be a reason. Also I don't think he could lead the line in our 433. Good option though but in guessing that's not what he wants

Seems to be the thing in modern day football. Natural goalscorers, whose only talent is finding the back of the net, seem so easy to sacrifice. When I see the best finisher in the Premier League Jermaine Defoe, technically better at striking a ball with both feet than the likes of Rooney, Van Persie, Torres, Aguero etc, unable to get a start because of his all-round contribution, it does confuse me.

I often wonder how people like Gary Lineker would fare in today's game. Would he be sacrificed? or would his manager say "you only need to touch the ball once, if it's the winning goal!"??

Le Fondre, whilst not at that standard, is certainly in the same category. It's just whether a team can carry him for the 85 minutes he's not trying to score, in the hope that the 5 minutes he is trying to score are successful!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, sadly I don't think Gary Lineker would play as much now as most teams want everyone to contribute to all aspects of the game. Mind you spurs are now playing 2 up front and he still isn't playing. People are having the same compliant on here saying the wingers Russell, ward and Dawkins need to defend better.

I'd be interested in looking at a goals per game comparison for those 5.

I would think most of those players have proven that they score goals more consistently than Defoe as well as having a bigger effect on games on the whole? (maybe Torres aside?)

Since he signed, Aguero has got to be up there with the best in terms of goals per games surely? Van Persie not far behind and I'm fairly sure Rooney's pretty much a goal every two games as well.

Surely that shows it's a myth that he's a better "natural finisher" than them?

Defoe lacks a bit of guile for me, whether he's got the best finishing technique in the world or not, you pretty much know that if he gets the ball anyway in the last 30 yards, he's going to do everything he can to engineer HIMSELF a shooting chance.

Being a decent finisher isn't enough these days. The game has evolved.

I'd be interested in looking at a goals per game comparison for those 5.

I would think most of those players have proven that they score goals more consistently than Defoe as well as having a bigger effect on games on the whole? (maybe Torres aside?)

Since he signed, Aguero has got to be up there with the best in terms of goals per games surely? Van Persie not far behind and I'm fairly sure Rooney's pretty much a goal every two games as well.

Surely that shows it's a myth that he's a better "natural finisher" than them?

Defoe lacks a bit of guile for me, whether he's got the best finishing technique in the world or not, you pretty much know that if he gets the ball anyway in the last 30 yards, he's going to do everything he can to engineer HIMSELF a shooting chance.

Being a decent finisher isn't enough these days. The game has evolved.

Yep, loosley speaking Rooney, Van Persie and Aquero all have better than 1 in 2 ratios. Defoe, though probably coming from the bench a bit more often has closer to 1 in 3.

How that translates to goals per minute I don't know but that's an overview.

Le Fonz is an unlikely addition, for me.

Fridgy heard that the Forest fans want a hot striker to be his new big cheese, and in Le Fondre he has identified the man he wants. The only problem is, it is a case of mistaken identity. He misread his name as Le Fondue.

Fridgy heard that the Forest fans want a hot striker to be his new big cheese, and in Le Fondre he has identified the man he wants. The only problem is, it is a case of mistaken identity. He misread his name as Le Fondue.

I heard Fridgy actually wants to sign The Fonz, from the hit tv show. Vincent Tan's Cardiff are stiff competition though.

If Le Fondre is that great in sure the whole of the champ will be after him. He seems to have a great reputation on here even though he spends most of his time on the bench

Poor man's Connor Sammon

Might be a daft suggestion, but a cheeky contract offer for Momo Sissoko could be worthwhile. He's out of contract and has a damn good track record... (Liverpool, Juventus and Fiorentina)

Apparently Reading were looking at him earlier in the year, so it may not be beyond the realms of possibility.

Might be a daft suggestion, but a cheeky contract offer for Momo Sissoko could be worthwhile. He's out of contract and has a damn good track record... (Liverpool, Juventus and Fiorentina)

Apparently Reading were looking at him earlier in the year, so it may not be beyond the realms of possibility.

Can you just imagine the wages?

Wilson Palacios available for £500K.

Seems to have lost his way but could he be the DM for us?

Got a bit of muscle that would come on handy especially in games like Wigan & Leicester.

Would be brilliant. But then again, wages. Owen Bradley tweeted earlier that McClaren gets what McClaren wants, so I'd be surprised if all McClaren wanted was one extra addition to the squad... Gonna be a very interesting January, for a change!!

Archived