Conor Sammon

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheffield United boss Nigel Clough has confirmed his interest in signing Derby striker Conor Sammon.

Clough, sacked as Rams manager on September 28 following a 1-0 defeat at rivals Nottingham Forest after just over four-and-a-half years in charge, is keen to add to his attacking options this month and has admitted that Republic of Ireland international Sammon is on his list of potential targets.

"We have made enquiries. Many of the enquiries we've made want to get the weekend and the FA Cup games out of the way first," said Clough, speaking after the Blades' 2-1 defeat at Walsall on New Year's Day.

"We have a long list of names and Conor Sammon is on that list. But the list is about 15 names long. In fact, any striker in the Championship that isn't currently in the starting XI - and who interests us - we will be making an enquiry."

As Derby manager Clough signed former Kilmarnock striker Sammon from Wigan for a fee of around £1.2million.

Sammon was a regular under Clough but the 27-year-old has found starting opportunities hard to come by since Steve McClaren replaced him at the Championship club.

Clough, appointed Blades boss in October, also last month went public with his interest in another Derby forward - Johnny Russell.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11696/9098263/clough-confirms-sammon-interest

He was the reason for the most annoying, frustrating and openly brainless piece of action yesterday. With just a couple of the 90 minutes left to play, he clatters into one of their defenders near the corner flag - you could just see it coming a mile off!

Good come and get him clough, rather have patrick bamford, younger scored goals for mk dons

Yes but you would probably have said the same about Sammon the season he scored a lot for Kilmarnock.

Very dangerous deciding you want a player based on one seasons scoring record at a lower level....Liam Dickinson springs to mind.

I think he'll go out but I hope it's to a higher level than League One. I don't doubt that NC would love to have him at Sheff Utd but he's better than that level surely?

I think he's a really decent player who has done more than enough not to have to go that far down the ladder.

I don't think it's worked out as well for him as most of us hoped. In terms of what he cost in fees and wages,  if he left now, he'd have to go down in the list of "slightly dodgy" signings from Nige. No matter how hard he works or what else he brings, I think for the fans to take to him, we needed more goals from a million pound signing.

I honestly think though that he'd be a very good option for ANY club at our level cos there have been enough glimpses that when he's playing well he can really influence a match, even this season when he's come on he's usually looked threatening and has a fairtly decent goals per games ratio.

I thought he was going to have a great season but it's all been put on hold due to the emergence of Martin, who is pure class.

If Bamford is coming in, then Connor must be going out. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually regretted letting him go.

I think he'll go out but I hope it's to a higher level than League One. I don't doubt that NC would love to have him at Sheff Utd but he's better than that level surely?

I think he's a really decent player who has done more than enough not to have to go that far down the ladder.

I don't think it's worked out as well for him as most of us hoped. In terms of what he cost in fees and wages,  if he left now, he'd have to go down in the list of "slightly dodgy" signings from Nige. No matter how hard he works or what else he brings, I think for the fans to take to him, we needed more goals from a million pound signing.

I honestly think though that he'd be a very good option for ANY club at our level cos there have been enough glimpses that when he's playing well he can really influence a match, even this season when he's come on he's usually looked threatening and has a fairtly decent goals per games ratio.

I thought he was going to have a great season but it's all been put on hold due to the emergence of Martin, who is pure class.

If Bamford is coming in, then Connor must be going out. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually regretted letting him go.

Agreed

Bamford coming in will improve the squad and unfortunately it means Sammon will probably leave. Although it might only be a loan.

Agreed

Bamford coming in will improve the squad and unfortunately it means Sammon will probably leave. Although it might only be a loan.

I don't see what we would gain by sending him out on loan, so I hope it doesn't happen. Unless we desperately need to get him off the wage bill, as he is one of the higher earners. He's of more use to us, coming off the bench as he has done in recent weeks, than he is on loan at one our rivals. 

I can't see him going to the lower reaches of League 1 even though NC is his biggest fan.

Any championship striker not in the team........ummmmm.

Somehow i don't think he'll be signing tomasz cywka.

(Yet that actually would be a good signing for sheff u.)

He'll still be wanting to play for Ireland so I reckon he'd be against making the drop down. Any other championship team should be a possibility though, he's not an awful signing for 500-700k.

Anyone heard anything about Ipswich still being interested?

I heard Blackburn were interested also.

To be honest, if Bamford does come in, surely there's no room to hang on to Sammon. I can't get on with him to be fair, he never seems to do anything for me.

He never does anything for me either. I once asked him to mow my lawn and he flat out refused... haven't like him since.    :p

Archived