Conor Sammon

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macheda is a class above this level. He would be a great signing.

I don't want to lose Sammon though, power and pace is such an asset - won us 2 vital games from the bench this season. I like the current striking set-up as it is to be honest. 

Unless we get promoted we don't need to add in that area, it's not like we're lacking goals.

Macheda is a class above this level. He would be a great signing.

I don't want to lose Sammon though, power and pace is such an asset - won us 2 vital games from the bench this season. I like the current striking set-up as it is to be honest. 

Unless we get promoted we don't need to add in that area, it's not like we're lacking goals.

Says who? What stat says that? I think Theo's stats are better than Macheda's at this level

When you look at teams in and around us we would be stupid not to get another striker in to help lead the line with a potent goal threat to take us into the business end of the season. You only have to look at Reading who have signed Billy Sharp on loan from Southampton that they want to go back up again.

We should make a similar signing to show real intent that we want to go up this year. Even if it means sending Bennett on loan to somewhere like Peterborough (or Sheff Utd) to get much needed experience.

In a team like ours I reckon Macheda could easily get you around 15-20 goals a season and is at the that age now that he needs to be playing regular football. 6 month loan till end of season with view to permanent move would be ideal heading into new year IMO.

When you look at teams in and around us we would be stupid not to get another striker in to help lead the line with a potent goal threat to take us into the business end of the season. You only have to look at Reading who have signed Billy Sharp on loan from Southampton that they want to go back up again.

We should make a similar signing to show real intent that we want to go up this year. Even if it means sending Bennett on loan to somewhere like Peterborough (or Sheff Utd) to get much needed experience.

In a team like ours I reckon Macheda could easily get you around 15-20 goals a season and is at the that age now that he needs to be playing regular football. 6 month loan till end of season with view to permanent move would be ideal heading into new year IMO.

Never rated him. 

I'm sorry but I really couldn't disagree with you anymore.

There's this obsession in English football with '20 goal a season men' and the idea that they're the only way to be successful which is just plain ridiculous. I don't think any of the teams that went up last year had a 20 goal a season man, particularly Cardiff who finished top by a considerable margin. It stems from poor teams heavily relying on a super striker (Huddersfield with Vaughan, Blackburn with Rhodes, Burnley formerly with Austin) and play a style of football that relies on a 20 goal season man. We did it in 06/07 with Howard, we really didn't play great football. These sort of teams tend to be the types who'll play awful for 90 minutes but their star man will score a goal after doing f*ck all and offering f*ck all in general play all game.

What I particularly disagree with is your idea that 'When you look at teams in and around us we would be stupid not to get another striker in to help lead the line with a potent goal threat to take us into the business end of the season.'

We're the top scorers in the division. We've outscored all the teams around us easily, without a star striker (although Martin is having a more than decent stab at this) and I can not see how it would be 'stupid' not to add to the squad. We have the luxury of having goal scoring wingers and midfielders. Bryso is on 7, Wardy 5, Hughesy 4, Dawkins 2 and Russell 5 as well as Martin's 10. We very rarely play crap for 90 minutes and share the goals around the team, so effectively have the best attack in the league. But it relies on a striker who is more than just goals, can be part of the build up play and contribute for the whole 90.

Sorry for the rant, more about 20 goal a season men than what you said (but Billy Sharp has only scored 1 goal for Reading btw).

There's this obsession in English football with '20 goal a season men' and the idea that they're the only way to be successful which is just plain ridiculous. I don't think any of the teams that went up last year had a 20 goal a season man, particularly Cardiff who finished top by a considerable margin. It stems from poor teams heavily relying on a super striker (Huddersfield with Vaughan, Blackburn with Rhodes, Burnley formerly with Austin) and play a style of football that relies on a 20 goal season man. We did it in 06/07 with Howard, we really didn't play great football. These sort of teams tend to be the types who'll play awful for 90 minutes but their star man will score a goal after doing f*ck all and offering f*ck all in general play all game.

What I particularly disagree with is your idea that 'When you look at teams in and around us we would be stupid not to get another striker in to help lead the line with a potent goal threat to take us into the business end of the season.'

We're the top scorers in the division. We've outscored all the teams around us easily, without a star striker (although Martin is having a more than decent stab at this) and I can not see how it would be 'stupid' not to add to the squad. We have the luxury of having goal scoring wingers and midfielders. Bryso is on 7, Wardy 5, Hughesy 4, Dawkins 2 and Russell 5 as well as Martin's 10. We very rarely play crap for 90 minutes and share the goals around the team, so effectively have the best attack in the league. But it relies on a striker who is more than just goals, can be part of the build up play and contribute for the whole 90.

Sorry for the rant, more about 20 goal a season men than what you said (but Billy Sharp has only scored 1 goal for Reading btw).

In 1 start, let's be fair he's been injured

Don't forget Bucko with 2 as well ;)

English League Championship Stats: Top Goal Scorers - 2013-14
  Player Team Goals 1 Ross McCormack Leeds United 15 2 Jordan Rhodes Blackburn Rovers 11 3 James Vaughan Huddersfield Town 10   Sam Vokes Burnley 10   Danny Ings Burnley 10   Chris Martin Derby County 10 7 David Nugent Leicester City 9   Troy Deeney Watford 9   Charlie Austin Queens Park Rangers 9 10 Craig Bryson Derby County 8   David McGoldrick Ipswich Town 8   Lewis Grabban AFC Bournemouth 8

And to be on topic, Sammon has scored twice so far.

Archived