It's the long awaited did he or didn't he budget thread

sage

With the arrival of the 5th player (some of them fairly highly paid) since NC left, has McLaren been given a bigger budget than Clough?

If NC had this much money, why didn't he use it?

If he didn't have this much money, has McLaren been given more because

a) they trust him with the money more

b) he wouldn't have come without a bigger budget

c) the gates have gone up and we've renamed the ground and we can afford it now

or

d) the owners realise that whoever was manager, we weren't going to challenge for the top 6 without an increased budget 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly... it's McClaren.

Secondly, we have no idea what contribution we are making to these players.

Thirdly, was always maintained there was dosh for a player or two... but Clough never bothered feeling no one would improve us (laughable).

Firstly... it's McClaren.

Secondly, we have no idea what contribution we are making to these players.

Thirdly, was always maintained there was dosh for a player or two... but Clough never bothered feeling no one would improve us (laughable).

Is that a yes or a no? :wacko:

I think they only wanted our Nigel to bail us out and to steady the ship which he did extremely well, unfortunately for him but fortunately for The Mac, he's allowed to sail it.

Used and abused and all part of the plan I reckon.

McClaren makes quality additions, we go up, everyone's happy.

With the arrival of the 5th player (some of them fairly highly paid) since NC left, has McLaren been given a bigger budget than Clough?

or

d) the owners realise that whoever was manager, we weren't going to challenge for the top 6 without an increased budget 

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, im not sure i agree with the order tho, more as Needles suggests, also i think the board with appointing Sam Rush then listening to him after he had made an assesment, then acting again, etc have at last made a move to push forward, they have angered many of us in their approach and seeming reticence to invest, but i think that they have got the club to where they wanted financially,with NC's help .. and are now speculating to accumulate.......... and the upturn in gates must make them feel as if they have taken a step in the right direction... and i agree  :wub:

Well Clough admitted that he was looking at one or two loans, so clearly there was enough in the budget for two coming in.  

That would leave three players that Clough may not have had access to. Keane is only here for just over a month so may not be a huge dent to the wage budget. Also Wisdom's wages are being heavily subsidised by Liverpool. Leaving Dawson, who knows how much he's costing I guess it's less than you think and then Cisse who I imagine will be on a pretty low wage which ends in the new year. 

Personally I don't think he has much more than Clough, maybe a bit, but then the revenue side of things has increased. I think Jan will be much more revealing. If we are in and around the top 6 will the board sanction a higher spend to push for promotion.

or

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - hell yes.

They've put money forward for Nigel before. I think McClaren should be given some freedom and I don't think it'd be fair if he had to work with whatever money was left for Nigel. I don't see it as Mac v Nige and who can do the best in a fair fight.

Nige left us better than he found us. He left Mac some quality players to push towards the Play Offs. His story ends there for me and Mac has the task of pushing us harder and I hope he's given funds to make his influence.

Maybe if Nigel had worked with a DoF like they tried to get him to the budget would have been different.

We've changed. Evolved. Nigel, all the best to him, is the past. I don't compare him to Mac. I don't even check Sheff Utd scores especially. It's a new beginning imo

Y'know how Tim Ward built steadily over the mid 60's without so much as a pot to piss in? Got pretty well nowhere in terms of a promotion challenge but left BC with Hector, Durban, Webster, Boulton and Peter Daniel...

Bit of a flight of fancy I know, but maybe Nigel will play Tim Ward to SMc's Brian, and leave the core of a good side for his successor. Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, who knows Russell, Bennett...erm, ... ok I'm stretching a point and these lads have a lot to prove, but there may be a dim reflection of the late 60's going on.

Sam Rush said that Nigel had money that he didn't use. Whether it was the same amount as McClaren I don't know.

All I know is that I have been watching Derby for nearly 40 years and the atmosphere around the club and City, coupled with the performances, tactics and new blood coming in have given me a sheer passion that I haven't felt for 5 plus years.

So from my point of view, I don't care whether Clough was given more money or not, whatever the truth is, the decision now seems to be working.

Let's not keep dragging up the past, let's enjoy what we are getting. This is what I pay my money for. This is why I am now going away to almost every game (and more and more of my friends are coming each time).

Clough never gave me this away from home especially.

Y'know how Tim Ward built steadily over the mid 60's without so much as a pot to piss in? Got pretty well nowhere in terms of a promotion challenge but left BC with Hector, Durban, Webster, Boulton and Peter Daniel...

Bit of a flight of fancy I know, but maybe Nigel will play Tim Ward to SMc's Brian, and leave the core of a good side for his successor. Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, who knows Russell, Bennett...erm, ... ok I'm stretching a point and these lads have a lot to prove, but there may be a dim reflection of the late 60's going on.

Like this needles........hopefully some truth in it!

Archived