It's the long awaited did he or didn't he budget thread

sage

They're only loans......all will be going back.

Lets see what happens in jan.

You don't think we'll permanently sign any of them?

I think Dawkins is pretty much nailed on and I'm sure there will a chance to buy Keane. Weren't Leicester close to sorting out a deal last season?

However, Wisdom's way too good for this league and Smith has been crap. Not too sure about Whitbread.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Clough admitted that he was looking at one or two loans, so clearly there was enough in the budget for two coming in.  

That would leave three players that Clough may not have had access to. Keane is only here for just over a month so may not be a huge dent to the wage budget. Also Wisdom's wages are being heavily subsidised by Liverpool. Leaving Dawson, who knows how much he's costing I guess it's less than you think and then Cisse who I imagine will be on a pretty low wage which ends in the new year. 

Personally I don't think he has much more than Clough, maybe a bit, but then the revenue side of things has increased. I think Jan will be much more revealing. If we are in and around the top 6 will the board sanction a higher spend to push for promotion.

NC was always on to a loser.

When he weighed up the budget,and then took off the training ground canteen costs,AG and MT were costing us a centre back and midfielder.

Thought it was very straightforward

It is possible that SMC has only the same budget as NC had, just a better reputation as a coach.

As mentioned earlier, Rush has stated that Nigel had some money available - but it seems likely that it wasn't a huge amount. Maybe enough for Whitbread and Cisse?

Is it possible that Dawkins, Wisdom and Keane are all here to benefit from are coaching staff and the chance of competitive game time, so we aren't paying any of their wages? Maybe a little optimistic, but let's not forget that Man U, Liverpool and Spurs get a lot out of it in terms of developing their fringe players.

Well Clough admitted that he was looking at one or two loans, so clearly there was enough in the budget for two coming in.

That would leave three players that Clough may not have had access to. Keane is only here for just over a month so may not be a huge dent to the wage budget. Also Wisdom's wages are being heavily subsidised by Liverpool. Leaving Dawson, who knows how much he's costing I guess it's less than you think and then Cisse who I imagine will be on a pretty low wage which ends in the new year.

Personally I don't think he has much more than Clough, maybe a bit, but then the revenue side of things has increased. I think Jan will be much more revealing. If we are in and around the top 6 will the board sanction a higher spend to push for promotion.

Who's Dawson?

Looking at who he bought for Forest and wages given, had no concerns for the investors.

Not sure his spending was that frivolous was it?

As for here, I think a lot was said in the reasons why the change was made. The impression I got was that players were going back to clubs and those clubs concluding that the players hadn't benefitted/developed from the level of coaching here and there was a reluctance to send good young players to Derby whilst the setup was as it was. When you add to this the fact that Nigel was loyal, and wouldn't consider dropping a Derby player for a short-term loanee, it figures that budget was available, whereas the players Nigel might've wanted wouldn't have been released to his amateur coaching setup, and others available wouldn't have been selected over the players here so Nigel would've seen it a waste of money.

:ph34r:

Psst.

Agent McClaren, Operation **** up Forest complete. Return to base via a circuitous route for 2 years to avoid suspicion.

In late 2013, we march on the imperialist Premier League. 

:ph34r:

He bought old prem players and paid big wages, didn't he? Unless what we were taking the piss out of Forest with was actually incorrect?

I'd like to see a list. To my memory, he bought free transfers, and only a couple. Reid? Greening? Was Miller his signing? I dunno, but I think he gets judged more harshly than he actually should.

I'd like to see a list. To my memory, he bought free transfers, and only a couple. Reid? Greening? Was Miller his signing? I dunno, but I think he gets judged more harshly than he actually should.

From memory Reid, Greening, Boatang, Miller and Derbyshire.

From memory Reid, Greening, Boatang, Miller and Derbyshire.

Thats my only concern with Mac. those 5's wages were probably higher than the whole of Clough's squad at the time.

I suppose he thought experienced pro's with loads of premiership experience would be an instant success, he had unlimited funds and a deluded set of fans who thought they could just buy promotion (still do actually).

Professor Plum in the kitchen with the candlestick

I always used to say that.

I was curious what google would offer if I typed in 'Professor Plum in the ', and it offered Library and Ballroom as the most searched phrases. Third on the list was:

'professor plum in the ballroom with the candlestick lyrics'

I was curious, so I watched it on YouTube...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFWdlP39sxQ

... I feel a little violated :-/

(I've forgotten how to add a video apparently)

With the arrival of the 5th player (some of them fairly highly paid) since NC left, has McLaren been given a bigger budget than Clough?

If NC had this much money, why didn't he use it?

If he didn't have this much money, has McLaren been given more because

a) they trust him with the money more

b) he wouldn't have come without a bigger budget

c) the gates have gone up and we've renamed the ground and we can afford it now

or

d) the owners realise that whoever was manager, we weren't going to challenge for the top 6 without an increased budget 

A bit of all of the above ..

Archived