Liverpool to approach Derby to sign Hughes in January - Mirror

DcFc Dyycheee

Liverpool are set to make a new approach to sign Derby County teenager Will Hughes during the January transfer window.

Hughes, 18, was a target for the Reds during the summer but despite holding talks with Derby over a deal, they could not agree on a fee before the window closed.

Brendan Rodgers remains a fan of his services though, and has instructed trusted scout Barry Hunter to continue reporting on his progress until the New Year.

Liverpool value Hughes at around £6million, but would be prepared to go up to £10million as part of a package that would include bonuses if the player goes on to play for England at senior level.

Rodgers wants him signed up once the window re-opens in January, with Arsenal and Manchester City also keen on the player.

Hughes, a cultured central midfielder, is already part of Gareth Southgate’s Under-21 side, where he is considered a huge star for the future.

Liverpool believe any deal could be part of a partnership between the two clubs, which would see the Anfield club send players to Pride Park on-loan, in return for the first option on their young talents.

Hughes is contracted to Derby until 2016. - http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/11/liverpool-set-to-make-new-bid-for-derby-ace-will-hughes-in-january-3959253/?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/11/liverpool-set-to-make-new-bid-for-derby-ace-will-hughes-in-january-3959253/?http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/11/liverpool-set-to-make-new-bid-for-derby-ace-will-hughes-in-january-3959253/?

Liverpool believe any deal could be part of a partnership between the two clubs, which would see the Anfield club send players to Pride Park on-loan, in return for the first option on their young talents.

Does anyone else find this comment a bit patronising?  Or am I being a tad sensitive?

Does anyone else find this comment a bit patronising?  Or am I being a tad sensitive?

They have a good couple young players though - I'd be happy with seeing a couple of their young'uns play for us.

Jordon Ibe?

Andre Wisdom?

Samed Yesil?

Thiago Ilori?

and a few others...

DcFc Dyycheee, on 11 Sept 2013 - 3:24 PM, said:"http://dcfcfans.uk/public/style_images/dcfcfans/snapback" alt="snapback">

http://metro.co.uk/2...anuary-3959253/?http://metro.co.uk/2...anuary-3959253/?

Has Muespach seen this yet? :o

They have a good couple young players though - I'd be happy with seeing a couple of their young'uns play for us.

Jordon Ibe?

Andre Wisdom?

Samed Yesil?

Thiago Ilori?

and a few others...

Personally, if love to see a bit of difference at Derby. I love the team we have now but let's face it, they're not premier league standard. A few arrogant hungry foreigners knocking about the place might do our lot and Nigel's top six dreams good?

Personally, if love to see a bit of difference at Derby. I love the team we have now but let's face it, they're not premier league standard. A few arrogant hungry foreigners knocking about the place might do our lot and Nigel's top six dreams good?

As if Nigel can handle a big of ego and arrogance! He bombed out Chris Maguire for being cocky enough to do an overhead kick in training ffs!

Apparently Hughes was telling people it was as good as a done deal. This was back during the transfer window when he was with the U21's (not this last time obviously, the time before). Whether it was or it was just wishful thinking on Hughes part I don't know. He's a Liverpool fan, could have heard the rumours and got over excited but he seemed to think it was happening - clearly it didn't, I know.

As if Nigel can handle a big of ego and arrogance! He bombed out Chris Maguire for being cocky enough to do an overhead kick in training ffs!

Whether he can handle an ego or not is a fair question. One of the biggest doubts I had when he took the job at Derby would be how he handled the big time egos, especially Robbie Savage, with his long hair and his pink jeep.

Weirdly he handled Savage superbly but couldn't work with the rest of them.

I'd say he doesn't like big time charlies, those type of players who think the game owes them a living, he definitely doesn't like them kind of players.

The other part of your post is what really lets you down for me Mostyn. That's just garbage about him bombing Maguire out cos he tried an over head kick in training. He bombed him out cos he wasn't quite good enough, all round he just wasn't good enough.

The fact the lad got another chance this season in a league game under Jones at Sheff Wed and got took off after 55 minutes, speaks volumes. If you'd have watched his 50-60 minutes shift, with your expert eye, you'd have spotted in seconds he's just not quite good enough for this level.

You can still insult him without totally exaggerating a point you know Most.

Apparently Hughes was telling people it was as good as a done deal. This was back during the transfer window when he was with the U21's (not this last time obviously, the time before). Whether it was or it was just wishful thinking on Hughes part I don't know. He's a Liverpool fan, could have heard the rumours and got over excited but he seemed to think it was happening - clearly it didn't, I know.

Where did you hear/see/read that Hughes was telling people that Wilko?

Thats a massive bit of news that I've not spotted anywhere and I've been watching the Hughes saga very carfeully indeed.

Have you got a link?

Haha yeah but there were also rumours he was hung over... I dunno, I'm thrilled we're pretty much an all British and Irish squad but a bit of swagger would go a miss? He could handle swagger, couldn't he?

The other part of your post is what really lets you down for me Mostyn. That's just garbage about him bombing Maguire out cos he tried an over head kick in training. He bombed him out cos he wasn't quite good enough, all round he just wasn't good enough.

The fact the lad got another chance this season in a league game under Jones at Sheff Wed and got took off after 55 minutes, speaks volumes. If you'd have watched his 50-60 minutes shift, with your expert eye, you'd have spotted in seconds he's just not quite good enough for this level.

You can still insult him without totally exaggerating a point you know Most.

Mate, it's the truth. Been told by three different players. All still at the club.

If he wasn't good enough, then why buy him. Personally I believe he was not given a chance to prove himself, and in the one game I saw him start, he had a good game and maybe scored.

Where did you hear/see/read that Hughes was telling people that Wilko?

Thats a massive bit of news that I've not spotted anywhere and I've been watching the Hughes saga very carfeully indeed.

Have you got a link?

It's one if those unsolicited bits of info from a friend I worked with.

Never thought I'd type one of these as I mainly consider them to be nonsense and not worth the effort people give to read them. But here goes.

This friend is a Liverpool fan, asked me about Hughes as he'd never heard of him (one of those types of Liverpool fans who has no Liverpudlian accent and doesn't know much about football out of the top flight). I waxed lyrical about him and then said he was linked with them. Turns out he asks as his friend works with the England U21's (procures hotels etc for them to stay in whilst with the U21's) and he told my mate the story in my first post. That's it.

How much truth I have no idea but I also have no reason to doubt what he said.

Mate, it's the truth. Been told by three different players. All still at the club.

If he wasn't good enough, then why buy him. Personally I believe he was not given a chance to prove himself, and in the one game I saw him start, he had a good game and maybe scored.

Don't know how true the overhead kick story is. What would be of more concern is that if it's evident to all watching him that he is not good enough then why did we buy him after he was on our radar for a while? I'm happy to say he isn't good enough, no stories of hangovers, etc but then why did we not realise this when watching him before we signed him?

Don't know how true the overhead kick story is. What would be of more concern is that if it's evident to all watching him that he is not good enough then why did we buy him after he was on our radar for a while? I'm happy to say he isn't good enough, no stories of hangovers, etc but then why did we not realise this when watching him before we signed him?

Potential? Saw something that they hoped to improve but, for whatever reason, didn't work out.

Archived