Liverpool to approach Derby to sign Hughes in January - Mirror

DcFc Dyycheee

Don't know how true the overhead kick story is. What would be of more concern is that if it's evident to all watching him that he is not good enough then why did we buy him after he was on our radar for a while? I'm happy to say he isn't good enough, no stories of hangovers, etc but then why did we not realise this when watching him before we signed him?

And Portsmouth?  And Sheff Weds?

He obviously has "something", just not "it".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how true the overhead kick story is. What would be of more concern is that if it's evident to all watching him that he is not good enough then why did we buy him after he was on our radar for a while? I'm happy to say he isn't good enough, no stories of hangovers, etc but then why did we not realise this when watching him before we signed him?

No argument from me on this one, somewhere along the line Maguire is a mistake of a signing.

I'd have been saying this if he was still here and successful but you know what really put me off him?

It was his stupid bloody lolloping tongue hanging out.

Put it away son, not only does it look horrible, if someone catches his chin he'll bite his own bloody tongue off.

Mate, it's the truth. Been told by three different players. All still at the club.

If he wasn't good enough, then why buy him. Personally I believe he was not given a chance to prove himself, and in the one game I saw him start, he had a good game and maybe scored.

Walters off on one again!!!!

Maybe. It's a possibility I guess.

The match Mostyn was referring to was the Portsmouth game, him Theo looked like they had potential, then next game, against Cardiff he was shocking, one of the worst individual performances recently, and when he was subbed kicked off (not sure as to his performance or being taken off for a 15 year old school kid)

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/09/12/why-will-hughes-would-be-an-unnecessary-investment-for-liverpool/?

Liverpool will reportedly go to Derby County with an offer for Will Hughes this January.

Liverpool were strongly linked with the Derby teenager before the close of the summer transfer window, as Brendan Rodgers seemed keen on adding the talented midfielder to his squad.

However, Liverpool already own a free flowing, forward thinking midfielder in the form of Suso, a 19-year-old going all out to show Brendan Rodgers he deserves a chance to nail down a place in the first team.

Ultimately, Liverpool are a club with a very impressive youth system, always looking to add the next talented youngster to their ranks in the hope that he can turn into a first team star.

However, any move Liverpool make for Hughes this January is not going to be cheap with Derby boss Nigel Clough admitting he already has a price in mind for his 18-year-old player and he’s sticking by it.

“It is difficult to put a specific valuation on him – but we know what we won’t take, that is for certain. I think there will be interest in Will in January,”Clough told the Barton Mail.

That means it would take a significant investment from Liverpool if they are going to buy Hughes, which would be pointless as Rodgers already can’t find a place in the side for a very similar player.

The reason behind Suso’s loan switch to Almeria seems to be so the youngster can get plenty of first team games and increase his experience before he has another go at getting into the Liverpool first team.

He appears to have been handed complete freedom with the side in La Liga, playing in a central role as the main play maker, already coming up with two assists.

What it all boils down to is the fact that Liverpool already own a player in Suso who can do just an equally effective, if not better, job than Hughes in the current Liverpool setup.

Fair enough, Suso has already had a crack at first team football at Anfield but he cut a very raw and jagged figure when he first came into the Liverpool first team and at least deserves a chance in the future to win his place back.

The fact Suso is on such a long contract, to the summer of 2017, also suggests that Rodgers has a great deal of faith in the youngster and plans over how to use him in coming seasons.

If it would take Liverpool £10-15 million to sign Hughes then they would simply just be throwing money down the drain.

What do you think? Is Suso a good enough prospect to stop a Liverpool bid for Hughes?

Does anyone REALLY believe that the reason MacGuire fell from favour was because "he tried an overhead kick in training"???

I'm not calling Mostyn a liar – I'm even prepared to believe that he heard this directly from players, but come on. To believe that is the sole reason he was dropped would indicate a level of thickness I'd expect from footballers but not from Mostyn!

There were all sorts of rumours/comments at the time about MacGuire having a bad attitude and refusing to follow instructions in training, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this came to a head when he did some sort of acrobatic kick when he should have been doing something else (ie what he was told to and ultimately paid to). That could have been the final straw maybe?

But to say that "He bombed out Chris Maguire for being cocky enough to do an overhead kick in training" sounds to me like someone trying to twist (what they believe to be) a fact, to fit an anti-Clough agenda.

Does anyone REALLY believe that the reason MacGuire fell from favour was because "he tried an overhead kick in training"???

I'm not calling Mostyn a liar – I'm even prepared to believe that he heard this directly from players, but come on. To believe that is the sole reason he was dropped would indicate a level of thickness I'd expect from footballers but not from Mostyn!

There were all sorts of rumours/comments at the time about MacGuire having a bad attitude and refusing to follow instructions in training, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this came to a head when he did some sort of acrobatic kick when he should have been doing something else (ie what he was told to and ultimately paid to). That could have been the final straw maybe?

But to say that "He bombed out Chris Maguire for being cocky enough to do an overhead kick in training" sounds to me like someone trying to twist (what they believe to be) a fact, to fit an anti-Clough agenda.

I am surprised that Mostyn feels the need to firstly believe this nonsense and secondly to repeat it. I thought he was brighter than that but......

I think you are being very kind to him, I just know he is talking bllx.

Maybe he was given the boot because Clough wanted him to concentrate on the basics in training but he wouldn't do what he was told? Then the overhead kick story could be seen as the reason but there surely is more to it than that?

Maguire was obviously disliked by Clough, such a shame that a player with tons of ability was allowed to leave  :(

Wednesday really have a superstar now, and I think his goals and assists this season - along with his deep team play contribution will stand them in good stead for automatic promotion..

When we signed him I thought he was a very shrewd buy, came with a decent pedigree - he just didn't step up, nothing more and nothing less.

Would I have signed him at the time, absolutely. I won't blame anyone for making the same decisions I'd of made - if Russell doesn't pan out, can we blame Clough? maybe Bris and a few others are in a position to chuck the book at him, but me I was delighted, thought we'd made a steal - would have done exactly the same.

Too many fans moving the goalposts.

Thinking about it, probably a decent idea to sell him in January.

Firstly, if there's the possibility of getting Albrighton on a perm we should look to take the chance. We could make amendments to the squad and push for promotion BUT (and this is the good bit) if we don't get it, we're 6 months ahead of the competition. We've seen if these signings have been any good and they've settled into the team. We'd have the chance to re-shuffle and avoid doing what Bolton have done so far this season, have a whole batch of decent signings which take time to gel.

Or we could panic buy Guy Moussi and collapse.

Archived