When was your first Derby Match

gordonhughes

Mine was on the opening day of the 1982/83 season. Home to Carlisle Utd with John Newman in charge and world beaters like Mick Brolly and Paul Emson in the starting eleven. Sat in the Ossie End with my Patrick replica shirt and a new scarf bought at the club shop! The BBG pitch looked amazing and there was a real buzz around the ground. 90 minutes and a 0-3 home defeat later I was hooked and still am!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a few games at the BBG and PP when it opened but I don't remember them much..

The first game I went to which stands out clearly in my mind was Derby 3-1 Coventry.. Must have been 97, Wanchope scored the 3rd clipping it over the GK and Richard Shaw ended up in the net aswell..

Mine was on the opening day of the 1982/83 season. Home to Carlisle Utd with John Newman in charge and world beaters like Mick Brolly and Paul Emson in the starting eleven. Sat in the Ossie End with my Patrick replica shirt and a new scarf bought at the club shop! The BBG pitch looked amazing and there was a real buzz around the ground. 90 minutes and a 0-3 home defeat later I was hooked and still am!

Shame does times are gone. Would've loved to see Brolly under McLaren's era.

only just joined this forum. Picked my username as Gordon Hughes as he was the first Derby player I remember. I went with my dad and we used to stand on the Normanton paddock. Gordon used to hug the touchline which was so near I felt that I could reach out and touch him. It was the 1964/65 season, a great time to be introduced to football and the start of a fantastic era.

Be good to hear of the first memories of other Rams fans

I wish I could recall my actual first match, but I can't. I know that Gordon Hughes, Reg Matthews, Ian Buxton and others of that era were playing because I remember Gordon's comb over, his running down the wing and the crowd shouting at Reg when he let a goal in. So it must have been in the early/mid 60's. I know it was before England won the World Cup in 66 and Tim Ward was the manager.

My brother took me on the back of his moped - he is 10 years older than me and was then about 17 years old (licensing was less strict in those days). We stood at the Ossie end in the first tier, when it was standing. I was allowed to go to the front. I can remember the smell, the sound and shouting, the colours, the excitement. And was hooked for life. Never lost that feeling. Ever.

Not being able to recall my actual first match meant that I didn't make the same mistake with my son - photographs/replica shirt/internet print out of match/teams/result - the lot!

Dec 21st 1986. We beat Grimsby 4-0. From what I can remember Bobby Davidson scored a brace. My abiding memory was that it was absolutely f**kin freezing!As for first game at Pride Park, I was there for the Wimbledon black out. Was great fun strolling back in to town with 28 odd thousand annoyed Rams...

I remember that one, wasn't it a Sunday morning kick off ?? I think to allow for people to do Christmas shopping on the Saturday

It was the Anglo-Italian cup, beat some little heard of (at the time) team called Udinese 3-0 (I'm pretty sure)

must of been early 90's not 100% mind

I was ball boy for that game. 1992 as I did the Arsenal league cup game too

Archived