When was your first Derby Match

gordonhughes

He was mine too! I had that barcode shirt for christmas one year with no. 10 on the back and "Marco" as Gabbiadini didn't fit. these were the days when only premier league shirts had names on them so as a child I thought having a name on a derby shirt was the coolest thing ever!

I had a ten on the back but no name! You were well ahead of the curve

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby 1 - Reading 1

Division 3

November 30th 1985.

the only football fixture i can remember the date of. Since it was my first.

Reading were top of division 3, and went on to win the title

Derby got promoted in 3rd following the rotherham game. Christie cool as custard.

We equalised in the last 5 mins i think it was, a right wing ball in, davison slid in the 6 yrd box to put it in.

The my first football match and everyone jumped up all around us. Was quite a scene and a feeling for a 9 year old.

Which pretty much got me hooked.

I still have the programme, and there is a nice little centrefold poster of Steve Mclaren, with his wife and dogs.

He wa quite a young man back then,

Jan 29th 1983, Rams 2-1 Chelsea, FAC4

I was 10. It changed my life. I came away believing:

- Derby would always win

- the BBG was the one place where it was okay to swear in front of my dad

- the away fans always ripped out the seats when they lost

- police dogs were not to be messed with.

Circa 1956, Accrington at the BBG.

I think we scored a lot of goals - remember my dad saying you won't see these many goals every game.

Players  straw, woodhead, webster, oliver spring to mind - missed very few home and away games up to the eighties...

Remember going to great places like york, grimsby, bradford, doncaster etc.

Remember davies getting sent off at sheff wed in late 50's, remember cargill going in nets when keeper injured.

Millions on memories.

Gordon Hughes - aka charlie drake, remember at qbr they dad a drum next to touchline, gordon did his fiery runs up and down wing - drummer hit him on head with drum stick, think hector scored winner to silence the rangers 'rodney' chants

I remember that game at QPR very well, wiseram. They stormed to promotion - yet we did the double over them. 4-0 I think at the Baseball Ground.

First post for me - best DCFC forum on the net (and I've been on a few!)

November 14th 1981 - vs Wrexham.  We won 2-1.

Seem to remember going up the stairs ready to beat the bog queue just as half time approached when we scored.  I honestly thought the stand was going to collapse as everyone went berserk!  If anyone has any stats about the game - team sheet, goal scorers (Buckley / Biley ??) etc.. I'd be really interested.  I was only a kid and my dad was an STH but never took me!  Ended up going with my cousins, sat right behind the goal in the Normanton End. 

GK Roger Jones

Def Mick Coop
Def Steve Buckley"http://www.thefootballarchives.com/eventicons/4" alt="4"> 
Mid Frank Sheridan
Mid Paul Emson
Mid Steve Powell
Mid Barry Powell
Mid Steve Emery
For Kevin Hector
For Dave Swindlehurst
For John Clayton"http://www.thefootballarchives.com/eventicons/10" alt="10"> 

Substitutes:

Keith Osgood"http://www.thefootballarchives.com/eventicons/9" alt="9">

That's all FootballArchives has on it - and at the moment 11v11 seems to be down.

First post for me - best DCFC forum on the net (and I've been on a few!)

November 14th 1981 - vs Wrexham.  We won 2-1.

Seem to remember going up the stairs ready to beat the bog queue just as half time approached when we scored.  I honestly thought the stand was going to collapse as everyone went berserk!  If anyone has any stats about the game - team sheet, goal scorers (Buckley / Biley ??) etc.. I'd be really interested.  I was only a kid and my dad was an STH but never took me!  Ended up going with my cousins, sat right behind the goal in the Normanton End. 

funny that. My dad, although well known by many notorious Derby fans, never took me. In fact he never showed an interest in football when I was a kid, at least not in the house. I had to find football myself, through friends etc. All the kids in my school were either Notts Forest fans or Liverpool fans, glory hunters of their day. I remember wanting to be different so when in my local kids club, which was known at Reg's (Stockbrook Street), everyone was supporting the other team, I decided to support Man United. They were rubbish and underachievers back then, so it didn't feel as dirty as it would now! Anyway, that christmas my mum bought me a Man United shirt, and I went to my mate's house wearing it, my mate's dad is a notorious hooligan and went storming around my house to confront my dad for letting me be a Man United fan. This scared me, but my dad just told him to "f*** off", "take him ya self if it bothers ya!". The next week, I was being dragged to Baseball Ground with my mate and his dad. The next season, my mate's dad bought me a season ticket. Little did I know then that I was getting hooked. I was easily weened off United. But the thing I didn't know was, when my mate's dad gave is £1 each to run ahead and find a chippy, he was off scrapping with the DLF!!

Archived