When was your first Derby Match

gordonhughes

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember the first at all, can't really remember any up until the age of 12 or so despite going quite often, but the earliest game I can remember fully was Derby v Forest in 1990 when we won 2-1 at the BBG... can't remember where we sat but remember my ears ringing and thinking WOW!

cannot remember much about my first game, think it was against someone like Reading in the old 3rd Division.

The first game I can remember was Boxing day, in about 86? Playing Norwich (they had a good side) and they beat us 2-1 I think. Their team had Phelan, Bruce, Dale Gordon, Fleck, Ruel Fox and maybe some others who went on to have decent careers.

In fact I'd love to see the team sheet for that game.

QPR away on the 6th November 1976. 1-1 draw. Back there again almost 37 years to the day soon. Given all the years of misery that followed, I'm thinking of asking for a minute's silence....

You might get a round of applause on the 37th minute ;)

My first match was 1958 ,my dad and grandad used to take a little three legged stool for me to stand on .We used to go in the lower tier Normanton end which was of course standing then ,used to get there early to get up against the front of the stand. Can't remember the exact fixture as only five at the time, not missed many home games since, must be mad. 

cannot remember much about my first game, think it was against someone like Reading in the old 3rd Division.

The first game I can remember was Boxing day, in about 86? Playing Norwich (they had a good side) and they beat us 2-1 I think. Their team had Phelan, Bruce, Dale Gordon, Fleck, Ruel Fox and maybe some others who went on to have decent careers.

In fact I'd love to see the team sheet for that game.

Shilton

Blades

Wright

McClaren R

Forsyth

Penney

Williams

Gregory

Callaghan

Garner

Gee

Shilton

Blades

Wright

McClaren R

Forsyth

Penney

Williams

Gregory

Callaghan

Garner

Gee

Wowsers, I'd have probably named about 6 of them if you challenged me to. Maybe 8.

Where did you get that from mate, I wouldn't mind seeing the Norwich team too.

At the dear old BBG against Brighton in 1984, we lost three nil I think. Peter Taylor's last home match in charge. We were teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and relegation to the third division and the previous Wednesday we had been knocked out of the FA cup in the replay at home by Plymouth - good times and to think we have so many people giving it the big moan these days (see what happens on here when Mac loses his first game)

Most abiding memory other than the singing, bad language and vast number of people (never seen that many people in one place prior to that) was the sight of the side on the ossie stand as i walked into Cambridge St, seems daft now but was a bit of a wow moment to see such a big structure hidden away behind terraced houses.

Reserve game in 96 I think. Can't remember who against,possibly Shrewsbury. Next door neighbor took me on a school night without telling my mother, Simmo booted the ball out which hit me in the face and the b.b.g floodlights went out at halftime and the game was abandoned. Hooked ever since!!!

Archived