When was your first Derby Match

gordonhughes

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1960ish I think Jack Parry was playing Jeff Barrowcliffe,Reg Matthews in goal,Ian Buxton CF, Frank Upton,Phil Waller, Derek Draper, Eddie Thomas,Billy Hughes,Billy Hogson. Can't remember anymore but remember RB Jeff Barrowcliffe bringing his lad on before the game and Reg Matthews used to lean on the goal posts when we were attacking. Kids pen I think but we used to run into Normanton end lower when stewards were not looking. I was 8 years old can't remember who we played but Tim Ward was manager I think . Just remembered Alan Durban .

Kevin Hector arriving at Rams from Bradford Park Avenue was fantastic for us in them days I saw his first game against Millwall 1966 but my memory is a bit foggy with this. Remember pea soupers (fog or what) from Leys Malleable castings stopping games at old Baseball Ground.

2 points for a win in them days.

We're roughly the same vintage,curtains.I remember looking on in gobsmacked awe at the sight of John Charles and of marching nearly all the way to the BBG only to do an about turn when the game against Posh (cup) was called off-it might even have been twice before Barry Hutchinson nailed em with a brace.You remember Reg leaning on a post,but can you remember Hutchinson's 'quirk'? (bet smiffy gets it straight away).

We're roughly the same vintage,curtains.I remember looking on in gobsmacked awe at the sight of John Charles and of marching nearly all the way to the BBG only to do an about turn when the game against Posh (cup) was called off-it might even have been twice before Barry Hutchinson nailed em with a brace.You remember Reg leaning on a post,but can you remember Hutchinson's 'quirk'? (bet smiffy gets it straight away).

No Ramblur you've got me there. Did he have a crew cut!

No Ramblur you've got me there. Did he have a crew cut!

From what I remember,when he scored he used to do a semi circular run that took him in and out of the opposition goal.Never saw him score from 40 yards though,which might have made it interesting (Reg might have had time to light up a fag)

Baseball ground in 1952 I was 3 years old and sat on the trainers bench with Raich Carter,as for the oppsition I really don't know

Wow.....how did you manage that?

Dec 21st 1986. We beat Grimsby 4-0. From what I can remember Bobby Davidson scored a brace. My abiding memory was that it was absolutely f**kin freezing!As for first game at Pride Park, I was there for the Wimbledon black out. Was great fun strolling back in to town with 28 odd thousand annoyed Rams...

Yep.....i saw both of them.

I remember freeze framing one of bobby's goals where phil gee got into the box and squared it across the face of goal.

When gee kicked it, bobby wasn't even in sight......a split second later he appears......a split second after that the ball was in the back of their net.

Brilliant striker.

Great posts these chaps. My first game was a classic. 1965 (roughly) - We won 5-3 against Brum  and I thought all games were going to be like that.

My memory of the team was; Reg Mathews; Jon Richardson; Bobby Ferguson; Ron Webster; Ray Young; Jack Parry; Gordon Hughes; Eddie Thomas; Ian Buxton; Alan Durban; Billy Hodgson. May have got a few names wrong, but this team does stick. Ahh! the good old days.

And the Boys End, quality.

Wowsers, I'd have probably named about 6 of them if you challenged me to. Maybe 8.

Where did you get that from mate, I wouldn't mind seeing the Norwich team too.

www.11v11.com

Norwich team not listed.

If I was guessing at a few players for them:-

Gunn

Culverhouse

Bowen

Fox

Putney

Fleck

Rosario

Will have a look round a few other sites see if I can find anything

Archived