Clough Has Gone

Shuff264

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm sad tonight for both the loss and Nigel going.

He was going at some time, of course, but why now? We've had a strategy that we have stuck to for four years and IMO we have improved in that time on the field whilst reducing expenditure, if not debt. We've had winless runs too. And the timing after this match and the history of his dad going shows a certain lack of style if not worse.

There is no doubt that discussions have already taken place with a successor and if they are really to be in place by Tuesday then they are largely concluded. That probably means someone currently out of work

Sam Rush is clearly exercising his influence, which is his job. He wasn't around 4 years ago so maybe hasn't completely bought into the strategy; maybe he and Nigel didn't get on. Who knows? I suspect that the old maxim in any football club about the most important relationship being between manager and chairman should now be between manager and CEO. Maybe SR just thinks we are better served by someone else who is 'his man'. Either way the club's now changing significantly.

Whatever. It's done and Nigel goes with my gratitude for what it's worth.

For those not welcoming Tony Pulis I do recall a similar strength of feeling when Jim Smith's appointment was first announced. That didn't end so bad.

Think you may feel differently if someone (maybe Pulis) gets us winning!  Do you people watch Derby and actually think we are playing Tika Taka Barcelona stuff, it is all sideways and backwards in the middle third with no end product.  Some idiots saying we deserved to win today!  How exactly?  Two shots on target in 90 mins and they missed a penalty is there a new scoring system in your heads.  Please wake up Rams! This is massively positive.  

I've watched Derby for close on 50 years and this is one the most stupid decisions they have made

Derby County Club Statement

prideparkclose4x3129-1007995_478x359

PUBLISHED

19:22 28th September 2013

by DCFC Media

Club announce Clough departure.

Derby County have this evening announced that they have parted company with manager Nigel Clough with immediate effect.

Clough has been in charge at the Rams since January 2009 and the club would like to place on record their thanks to him for his tireless efforts to bring stability to Derby County, and his hard work and dedication throughout his tenure. 

However, after much consideration, the board feel it is time to move Derby County forward to the next level, which will necessitate a comprehensive review of the club’s football operations. 

The ownership group remain steadfastly committed to the club and maintain their desire to compete at the top end of the SkyBet Championship this season.

The search is well underway to identifying and appointing a successor, and further announcements will be made in due course. 

The club would also like to take this opportunity to wish Nigel Clough well for the future.

what idiots do we have running derby, send the owners and board packing, crazy,the attendance will drop like mad ,how they can walk past brains statue is an insult, he will be turning in his grave,this is what happens when you let foreigner's take over,all they will do is get some one else who has been sacked from another club,come on derby are 3 points from 6 th position crazy not idea all they want is money

I think this threads shows the majority of users did not want this. Unless the next manager gets off to a very good start, the fight against the board will begin.

The number of anti Clough threads over the years show that most did want this I'm afraid

OMG I take my wife out for a birthday meal, trying to keep my head up after today's defeat and come home to this WTF!

Thanks Nigel for what you have done, seen the rumours about Pulis for God sake no, I know West Ham fans who are still unhappy under Alladice (sp.) I cannot bear the Pulis type of football.  It is out dated and will not lead to success.  

Lets look to Swansea rather than Stoke as a mentor/inspiration

Archived